The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Obedience Trumps Sacrifice

"But Samuel replied,
'What is more pleasing to the LORD:
your burnt offerings and sacrifices
or your obedience to his voice?
Listen!
Obedience is better than sacrifice,
and submission is better than offering the fat of rams.'"
1 Samuel 15:22 NLT



I wouldn't do it.  There is no way that I would spend my free time after school cleaning the house.  Even though my mom left a note for me giving those specific directions, I chose to ignore her wishes, deciding instead to hang out with my friend and watch t.v.  To make up for my indiscretion, I took the time to make a nice dinner.  You see, as a teen I liked to cook.  I didn't, however, enjoy cleaning.  I figured the luxury of coming home to a home cooked meal would soften my mother's resolve, encouraging her to overlook the fact that I had blatantly disregarded her orders.

As a sinful being, it's easy for me to tailor the commands God has given me in the same way that I did with my mom's instructions, picking and choosing to comply to only what suits my tastes and desires.  Then, to make up for my rebellion and stubbornness, I try to butter God up with my exuberant offerings.  This is Saul's sin.  He tried to tweak God's commands to fit his circumstances, relying only on his own point-of-view instead of trusting God in His omnipotent perspective.  When I follow suit, I may think I'm on solid footing, but there is a reason why God values obedience more than sacrifice.

His Plan

One sunny day my daughters and I were walking our dogs through our busy neighborhood.  As we approached a wetlands area, the road narrowed and the sidewalk veered dangerously close to the speeding cars.  Ahead, I spied a young woman running with her Pit Bull.  Taking note of the breed of dog and keeping in mind that my two lab mixes tend to bristle at such types, I made the decision to cross the road.  "Let's cross to the other side."  Immediately, we all made our way to the far side of the road except my youngest.  Defiantly, she decided this would be a good time to conduct some desensitizing training for our older canine.  As a result, the young woman was forced to run down the center of the road to keep her dog from interacting with ours.  Thankfully, there was a lull in traffic which allowed her to do so.

What my daughter didn't perceive when making her rash decision was the woman's anxiety in encountering our dogs.  I noticed her reaction when she took sight of us with our two canines; she immediately stiffened up and looked for a way out.  My baby-girl, however, didn't perceive this bit of information. The other factor my daughter didn't consider was the close proximity of the road, leaving no room to pass at a safe distance.  This close call was a good opportunity to teach a lesson in obedience and the importance of trusting your parent's leadership and insight.

In the same way a child must learn to obey without question, realizing the parent has knowledge and understanding she has not, I must recognize God's sovereignty and complete comprehension of every situation.  Since His plan is unknown to me and all the variables involved are fully beyond my grasp, I must trust that He knows what He's doing while I haven't a clue.

When He allows a dreaded illness into my life, for instance, I may feel like my suffering is without purpose.  As I wallow in self-pity, feeling sorry for myself because the doctors don't know what is wrong, I can remind myself that everything God allows into my life will work together for my good.  Nothing happens without reason and especially the hard times serve the purpose of forming me into the image of Christ.  (Romans 8:28-29)

When my life seems to be dragging along and it appears I'm going nowhere fast, I can be assured that God is working out the details according to His perfect timing.  When He has deemed me ready and when all the necessary pieces are in place, He will move things along in accordance with His plan. (Isaiah 40:31, Proverbs 3:5-6)

When my financial outlook is bleak, I may feel like I have no hope.  As I submit to Him, however, I discover lessons about His perfect provision and learn to trust Him in a way I never before have.  Without the security of my bank account, I have been given the opportunity to see God provide in mysterious and miraculous ways, teaching me that He truly knows my needs and is much better equipped to give me what is necessary for life than am I. (Matthew 6:31-33)

Obedience to God's tender leadership is better than any sacrifice I could make because His plan is always better than mine.

He is God

Parting the waters of the Red Sea.
Creating the seen out of the unseen, forming all things from nothing.
Delivering a new kind of food specially made for His chosen people.
Curing the sick, raising the dead, healing the lame.
Softening the hardened heart.
These are God-sized tasks that only He is capable of accomplishing.  There is nothing that is impossible for Him.  Still, I often limit God in what I expect of Him.

I'm not the only one who possesses this weakness.  Moses, who knew God so personally that he was considered to be His friend, (Exodus 33:11) also doubted God's mighty power and scope of abilities.  When leading the people through the difficult time of wandering in the desert, the multitudes starting whining again.  While all their needs had been met, they craved meat and were not shy about voicing this desire. (Numbers 11)  

When Moses incredulously approached the Lord with their unreasonable request, himself adding some complaints of his own about the burden of leading such an ungrateful lot, God replied that he would give them meat.  He told Moses to tell the people that, "the LORD will give you meat, and you will have to eat it. . . You will eat it for a whole month until you gag and are sick of it." (Numbers 11:18, 20 NLT)  Moses, unable to figure out how God would supply such bounty said, "Even if we butchered all our flocks and herds, would that satisfy them?  Even if we caught all the fish in the sea, would that be enough?"  (v 22 NLT)

God's response told the doubting leader everything he needed to know, "Is the Lord's arm too short?" (v 23a)  In other words, is there anything He cannot do?  Is there any job too big for Him, any dilemma outside of His grasp, any need He is unable to meet?  No.  God is perfectly able to give me what I need, solve any problem I am facing, rescue me from even the most impossible of predicaments. Therefore, I can trust Him enough to do as He says.

Obedience to God's tender leadership is better than any sacrifice I could make because He is God and it is not my desire to limit His omnipotent power in any way.

Faith

All the good deeds, best efforts, or noble intentions can't please God.  My dedication to going to church regularly, serving dependably or studying diligently won't make God's heart sing.  Even my constant attention to Him, my desire to speak of Him often or to testify of His great works will not generate as much pleasure for God as this one intangible. 

Faith.  It is that belief that even though I have no physical proof or tangible evidence of God's existence, I still choose to believe He is who He says He is and is capable of doing all that He has promised.  Despite the apparent lack of a guarantee that everything will turn out okay in the end, faith gives me the hope to believe just that impossibility.

Without my blind trust in a God I can neither see nor touch, there is no way to please Him. (Hebrews 11:6)  But my faith is not in word only.  It may be easy for me to say I believe God will deliver me from my troubles, or that He will provide for my needs, or He will draw a calloused heart toward Him, but talk is cheap.

The only evidence that exists of the authenticity of my faith is found in my actions.  Do I cower in fear when danger draws near, or do I step forward boldly in the face of difficulty, knowing without a doubt that my God will come through on my behalf?  

Do I waver in my resolve when confronting the anemic state of my bank account in comparison to the mammoth strength of my debt, or do I sleep soundly each night, knowing without a doubt that my God will provide all I need?  

Do I observe my wayward loved one with skepticism, wondering if a leopard can change his spots, or do I have the freedom to bear with him in love, knowing without a doubt that my God will usher His child into His kingdom?

James tells me that, "For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so faith apart from works is dead." (James 2:26)  My faith is only real faith if I act on it, trusting God enough to operate the details of my life as if what I believe but can't see is, in fact, a reality.  In order to prove to God that I trust Him, I must act like what I profess to be true as if it were true.  I must back up my mere words with action.  I must live as if what I believe God will do has already come to pass.

Obedience to God's tender leadership is better than any sacrifice I could make because it proves my faith as real.


Saul took matters into his own hands, thinking his way was better suited for his current situation than was God's.  When he did so, Saul did as I often do; he thought his sacrifice would make up for his disobedience and rebellion against God's specific instructions.  There is a reason why obedience is far superior to any act of surrender I could make.  When I do as God says, I am acknowledging His superior plan, recognizing His omnipotent power, and showing that my faith is authentic.  For these reasons, obedience trumps sacrifice every time.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to do as He says.

When do I think my plan is better simply because it is visible and known?

How am I guilty of doubting God's good intentions for me because I'm afraid of the unknown? 

No comments:

Post a Comment