The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

What a King!

"They said to him,
'You are old,
and your sons do not follow your ways;
now appoint a king to lead us,
such as all the other nations have.'
But when they said,
'Give us a king to lead us,'
this displeased Samuel;
so he prayed to the LORD.
And the LORD told him:
'Listen to all that the people are saying to you;
it is not you they have rejected,
but they have rejected me as their king.'"
1 Samuel 8:5,7



She wanted to be married more than anything in the world.  She pined over wedding magazines, visualizing the magic of her own ceremony.  Her free time was spent fantasizing about married life, dreaming about all it's wonderful attributes.  There was not a day that went by that she didn't think about how much better her life would be once she had a husband to take care of her.  What could be better than being married?

Unfortunately, she had never dated a man who met her standards and didn't even know a suitable candidate.  Therefore, in her desperation, she settled for the first man who proposed to her.  Soon, she found out her dreams were shattered, the life she imagined had transformed into a living hell and her once-hoped-for perfect married life was all a sham.  She married a man who didn't cherish her as the treasure she is.

In a similar way, the people of Israel wanted a king so they could be like the rest of the world.  They somehow thought anointing a mere man as their leader would make their lives better.  In so doing, they rejected God as their rightful King.  Therefore, God gave them what they wanted, warning them of a king's oppressive, self-serving ways.  Most of the time, the things we yearn for are not all they are cracked up to be.

In contrast to what can be expected of earthly kings, Jesus, the King of all kings, is quite the opposite. He will exceed my wildest expectations and will never let me down.  Here is what I can anticipate from His leadership in my life.

Savior

I could tell from the moment he took his post that he had an agenda.  Instead of listening to peoples' concerns, he spent time dropping names of local officials, trying to impress others with his connections.  In the place of taking notes on what he needed to do, he arrogantly thought he could remember anything that was important, often forgetting the minor details which were only trivial to him.  While I appreciated his unusual approach to solving problems, his solutions were often more about getting attention than helping people.  It was clear our new community leader was using this elected post as a stepping stone to higher office.

Most earthly leaders have at least some selfish ambition.  As a result, the people they are supposed to be serving end up becoming victims of their agenda.  Thankfully, Jesus is not this kind of King.  Instead of coming to fulfill the expected plan of a righteous king, which would be to reign with an iron fist and condemn those who don't measure up, He came to save the lost. (John 3:17) His highest intention, as a part of His father's plan, was to seek those who belonged to Him, offering a way of salvation for them.

This is the heart of Jesus.  As a result, when the guilt is heavy upon me, weighing me down as I ponder all the ways I fall short, Jesus reminds me of the way of freedom He provided through His death on the cross.  (John 8:36)

When I tire myself out with the exertion of trying to live up to God's perfect standard, Jesus saves me from the gospel of works, ushering me into the throne room of His Father where I find all the grace and mercy His death made possible.  (Ephesians 2:8-9Hebrews 4:14-16)

When my broken heart keeps me from living the abundant life God intended for me, Jesus makes me whole again, opening up the spigot that delivers an abundance of His living water. (John 10:10, Isaiah 61:1, John 4:14)

The King of kings reigns in my life as a Savior.

Servant

Chauffeuring, cleaning, landscaping, laundry, childcare.  These are all areas of responsibility which are often turned over to a professional service once a person reaches a certain level of status.  To the human mind, success comes with many benefits and one of the best advantages is the luxury of being served.  We all have some innate desire to be taken care of by another:  It makes me feel important and special.

While my flesh may yearn for this kind of treatment, Jesus did not come to be served.  Even though His rightful place is to reign on a throne, He lowered Himself to the position of a servant, willingly coming to serve those He created.  (Mark 10:45, Philippians 2:6-7)

As a result, Jesus is a gentle King who leads by example.  Instead of demanding perfection from His subjects, He wants nothing more than to spend time with me, valuing the relationship we share more than what He can get out of me.  Therefore, I need not fear His lordship, but can welcome Him into even the darkest parts of my life where He will lovingly wash me white as snow.

While it may be scary to give such absolute control to an earthly king, Jesus is a King who looks out for my best interest, even if that means taking me through difficult times.  As I walk beside Him on the rocky trail, He uses the trials to gently conform me into His own image. (Romans 8:28-29) I can trust His servant-heart in all things.

A human king is not always available, needing time to tend to his own affairs.  Jesus, however, is the kind of leader who never leaves me but is always ready to help in times of trouble.  Therefore, I have nothing to fear and will never be left to my own devices.  (Psalm 46:1-3)

The King of kings reigns in my life as a servant.

Humble

He had every right to be angry.  The very ones who He created were now spitting upon Him, scorning Him, and heaping their unholy wrath upon Him.  The One who was innocent of any sin, perfect in every way, was sentenced to die a criminal's death.  Even though there were no grounds for this verdict, He received it anyway.  

Still, He never once spoke out in His own defense.  He willingly went with His captors, never struggling against their restraints.  Even though He could have sent legions of angels to rescue Him, He submitted to their unjust, cruel treatment.

Jesus is the epitome of humility.  Despite the fact that He deserves all glory and honor, He lowered Himself to the position of a man and obeyed his Father even unto death.  (Philippians 2:5-8)

While a human king demands attention, Jesus does not.  He waits for me to recognize my need for Him, never begging or pleading with me in desperation.  Instead, He stands patiently knocking at the door of my heart, waiting for me to invite Him in.  (Revelation 3:20)

It may be the practice of earthly rulers to take what they think is rightfully theirs, but Jesus does not do so.  Even though He bought my life with a price, He gives me free reign, allowing me to choose how to use the body which belongs to Him.  (1 Corinthians 6:20)

Even though most of the leaders I know make it their practice to take, Jesus is known for giving.  He freely offers peace, victory and power over sin and a certificate of adoption into His family.  (John 14:271 Corinthians 15:56, Romans 8:37, 1 John 3:1)

The King of kings reigns in my life humbly.


When the Israelites demanded a king so they could be like everyone else, they didn't really know for what they were asking.  What they would receive was far inferior to what God gives us through his Son Jesus Christ.  When I invite Him to reign over my life as my King, I will find He is a Savior, a Servant and filled with humility.  There is no other ruler like Jesus.  What a King He is!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can give Jesus all the honor and glory He deserves instead of falling into the ways of this world who fails to see His splendor.

How do I expect to be served instead of taking after my King who is a servant at heart?

When do I forget that Jesus is patiently waiting for me to invite Him into the intimate parts of my life, instead leaving Him to stand on the outside?

No comments:

Post a Comment