The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, April 25, 2014

Robe of Faith

"The LORD said to Samuel,
'How long will you grieve over Saul,
since I have rejected him from being king over Israel?
Fill your horn with oil,
and go.
I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite,
for I have provided for myself a king among his sons.'"
1 Samuel 16:1 ESV



It was what I had always feared about hiring someone else to mow our lawn.  We were preparing to move across the country so we decided to give our lawn equipment to a neighbor boy who was starting up a mowing service.  Until we actually loaded up our truck and drove away, though, we needed to take care of cutting the grass, so we hired a professional company.  This is how the tragedy came about.  

When the team of men descended on our lawn to mow, edge, trim and blow off the sidewalks and driveways, a death occurred; the annihilation of my ivy, meticulously planted around our mailbox and that of our neighbor's.  Without thought or care, the killer wielding a weed-eater had devastated the planting, sending precious vines this way and that.  As I stood at the edge of the small bed which I had painstakingly weeded earlier that morning, I couldn't believe the carnage that lay before me.

It was hard for me to get that disappointment out of my mind.  Every time I passed by the mailbox, the loss hit me anew.  Throughout the day, it would pop back into my mind.  Then the anger would come.  Why were they so callous?  Wasn't it obvious these were plants, not weeds?  How could they be so ignorant?  Even after the company graciously offered to give us a credit on our account to make up for their infringement, I still couldn't get the violation out of my mind.

Can you relate?  This is how Samuel must have felt, although on a much larger scale.  The people asked for a king.  Against his better judgment but in compliance with God's command, he anointed Saul as king.  The young man grew on him and Samuel got behind this new ruler of the nation of God.  He would do anything to help him succeed.  After all, God's name was at stake.  Then, God took the kingdom out of Saul's hands as a result of the ruler's disobedience and rebellion.  What a disappointing end to the first king's reign.  Samuel was having a hard time getting over such a let down.

It is hard to move past what was lost, what could have been, a failure.  While it is difficult to move on after such a huge disappointment or fall, in times such as these, it helps to remember that God has a plan!

Fill Your Horn

He must get ready.  Even though he didn't know what was coming next, he could prepare in faith, believing God would soon supply a new king.  God said the new king would be a man after His own heart.  Therefore, this promised blessing was something to celebrate!  Despite the fact that Samuel didn't know how this whole drama would play out, he did know that God's plan could be trusted.  Therefore, he prepared for the journey ahead as if all the details were already laid out.  

I don't know what today may bring.  I haven't a clue as to how God will solve my problems, provide for my needs and work out my difficulties.  What I can be confident in, however, is that God is already there.  Every detail of my current situation has already been worked out by my all-knowing, time-defying, all-powerful Father.  All the necessities required for today's life have already been provided, although I may not yet hold them in my hand.  Every obstacle I will face today has already been negotiated in anticipation of my journey.  

Therefore, I can prepare for what is to come, even though I have no idea what that may be.  I can trust God enough to believe that there is something good coming down the pike, readying myself in response.

When my life lies in shambles around me, devastating me to the core, I still have the hope of what is to come, supplied by a living God who loves me beyond compare. (1 Timothy 4:10)  I am not like those who do not know the Lord as their beloved Father and don't have Someone to look out for them.  No!  I have a Father who has designed a beautiful plan for my life, who has designated a path for me to follow, who has prepared amazing things for me to accomplish.  (Jeremiah 29:11-13, Hebrews 12:1,Ephesians 2:10)  In response, I must live in a state of hopeful expectation, looking forward to what God is about to do.

When it seems nothing good is happening in my life, that I'm marking time in this journey called life, I can be assured that God is working out the details, placing all the pieces where they need to be, and preparing all involved for what is to come.  Therefore, I can get ready to move, being careful not to grow lackadaisical in my current state of perceived stagnation.  When the time is right, God will most likely call me forward at light speed, so I'd be wise to keep on my toes in anticipation of what is to come. (Psalm 77:14-19)

When I am reeling from the series of heartaches I have endured, it is easy for me to give up hope, wondering if God has forgotten about me.  Instead of throwing in the towel, however, now is the time for optimism.  My father of all compassion who is comforting me in my time of trouble will surely bring many opportunities for me to share this same comfort I have been receiving, but only if I'm looking for those openings. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4) I must be ready!

When difficulty comes, I can prepare for the good that is to come as part of God's superior plan.

Go!

We only knew one thing:  God was calling us to move across the country.  In the pattern of so many men and women of faith who have gone before us, we decided to move forward as if this move was already a done deal.  Even though my husband didn't have a job in our new hometown, we didn't possess a place to live, and we hadn't yet sold our current house, we proceeded as if all of these things had already happened, believing that God would come through in His timing.

We began contacting moving companies, sorting through our belongings, gathering boxes and packing material, boxing up some of our possessions, selling our furniture and organizing moving sales.  As we moved forward in faith, we saw God at work all around us, providing the anticipated job, supplying a buyer for our house, securing a home loan and guiding us to the new house.  All in all, we were able to see God work in mighty ways because we didn't sit around waiting for things to happen, but stepped out in faith, believing God would deliver.

When Abraham received his marching orders, he had two choices.  He could have waited until he had more details, like what their destination was going to be.  Or, he could start the journey in faith, believing that God would reveal the needed information at just the right time.  As you probably know, Abraham chose the latter.  (Genesis 12:4)

When Noah had been given the blueprint for the ark, he had two choices.  He could have waited until he had the assurance that a flood indeed was imminent.  Or, he could begin work on the vessel that would ultimately save mankind from God's righteous wrath.  As you probably know, Noah chose the latter.  (Genesis 6:22)

When Jesus called His disciples, they had two choices.  They could have waited until they knew more about this fellow Jesus, making sure He really was the Messiah.  Or, they could drop what they were doing and follow Him.  As you probably know, the disciples chose the latter. (Matthew 4:20,22)

My faith is not really faith unless I act on it like these men of faith did, moving forward despite their inability to perceive all the necessary details.  Knowing that God has a firm grasp of what is to come must be enough.  Once I trust Him fully, I will be able to walk ahead in faith despite my own ignorance.

When difficulty comes, I can step out in faith, believing that God has an amazing plan for each footstep I take.

Watch

I planted the seeds nearly two weeks earlier, but still there was nothing.  For the past couple of days, I had walked around the perimeter of the garden, looking for sprouts.  Not being able to see any evidence of new growth, I felt discouraged.  Then I decided to take a closer look.  

As I walked down the center of the garden, squatting down to improve my view, I suddenly began to see lots of tiny shoots.  Delighted with this new discovery, I told my family that flowers were busting out all over the place!  This was quite a departure from my earlier attitude of doom and gloom when I couldn't see the new growth.

This reminds me of my faith.  When I am so busy with the details of my life, intent on checking off my list of things to do and accomplishing all that I think needs to be done, I don't pay much attention to what God might be doing around me.  When I take a closer look, however, taking the time to focus on Him and watch for evidence of His hand, I suddenly see things in a different light.

In the place of only perceiving a day filled with trauma, I realize all the compassionate people God sent my way to minster to me in my time of need.  Instead of only seeing my unfinished tasks that I find to be so earth-shatteringly necessary, it dawns on me that all the interruptions were really God's way of moving me in a different direction than I had planned to go.  While I judged my day as being a waste, spending most of it waiting in line for one thing or another, it hits me that God put me in touch with people with whom I normally wouldn't interact, giving me an opportunity to share the reason for the hope I have. (1 Peter 3:15)

God has a plan I know nothing about. (Isaiah 55:8-9) When I take the time and effort that is necessary to watch for what He is doing all around me, He will reveal great and wondrous things.  My heart will then soar as I revel in the miraculous nature of my amazing Father.

When difficulty comes, I can watch for evidence of God's mighty hand all around me.


It can be hard to get past disappointments and let downs.  Instead of dwelling on what could have been, however, I can prepare for what I believe God will do, move forward in faith, trusting that God will deliver, and watch for how He is revealing His amazing plan as I go.  In these ways I will be able to break out of my mourning clothes and step into my robe of faith!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to step ahead in anticipation of what He will do.

When do I wait to make sure God is calling me before I answer His plea?

How am I hesitating to obey His call on my life because I don't know all the necessary details?


No comments:

Post a Comment