The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Worthless

"The sons of Eli
were base and worthless;
they did not know
or
regard the Lord."
1 Samuel 2:12 AMP



Eli had taught them well.  They knew the commands of the Lord; the holy requirements for their service within the temple.  God had set them aside to perform sacrifices, specifically spelling out in great detail how these offerings were to be given.  Even though these men had learned at their father's knee, they paid no attention.  Instead, they came up with their own way of fulfilling their duties.

When the priests' rightful share of the breast and the right thigh no longer satisfied, (Leviticus 7:34-36) their wayward hearts led them to institute their own tradition:  For every man who brought a sacrifice, these rebellious priests sent their servant armed with a trident to thrust the utensil into the pot of boiling meat.  Whatever stuck to the fork, as declared by the young priests, now belonged to them.  

Once they tired of boiled meat, they came up with the idea to request raw meat from each man coming before the Lord to offer his sacrifices.  Even though they knew the fat portion belonged to the Lord and for a man to eat it was an abomination, (Leviticus 7:25) they still requested this holy part so that they could have a chance to roast some raw meat over the fire.  Their desire for roasted meat overshadowed any reverence they might have had for the Lord. (1 Samuel 2:12-17)

God labeled these sons of Eli who were born into the priesthood as worthless men.  Why were they deemed as without value by a God who created them in His image and placed them right where He wanted them for His own purposes?  They were considered as rubbish because they did not know they Lord.  As a result, the way they spent their time was wasted, the activities they invested in meant nothing, and the work of their hands was useless.

To avoid this same downward progression in my own life, I must seek to know the Lord and regard His ways as holy and significant.

Time

Each of us is given the same amount.  Some use it quite proficiently, making the most of every tidbit.  Others waste it, never realizing it's value.  This valuable commodity is given equally, across the board.  How I use it tells a lot about the status of my heart.

Time.  It is the great equalizer.  No matter how rich or influential one is, money or power cannot buy more time.  Even the poorest of the poor have been blessed with 24 hours in every day.   We all have been given free reign in how we use each moment; the only variable lies within my heart.  Will I use this gift wisely, or will I fritter it away, foolishly believing that there will always be more?

The world influences my decisions more than I realize, encouraging me to use this precious commodity to further my own agenda, to reach the dreams I have for myself, or to indulge in sensual pleasures that gratify my sin nature.  As a child of God who has been bought by the blood of Jesus, however, each moment is an opportunity to grow closer to the One who made me for Him and who loves me perfectly.  Every minute that ticks by so quickly in the course of a day is a chance for me to let the love of my Father flow out to the unlovable souls surrounding me.  As the second hand circles the clock one more time, I have been given another occasion to meditate on the treasured tidbit that I earlier gleaned from His Word.

Instead, I often take that opportunity meant for drawing closer to my Father and use it to go after what satisfies my flesh.  Equally as sad is the ease with which I find that I can waste that precious minute set aside for loving those that cross my path and use it for "me time."  Unfortunately, I also find it quite natural to ponder the ways I can spend my money instead of analyzing the truth I discovered in my scripture readings.

Therefore, it will take intentionality to keep from wasting the time God has given me.  His grace is sufficient to empower me to make the most of every moment.

If I want to avoid the road traveled by the sons of Eli, I must use the time that God has given me in a way that will bring glory to God and draw me closer to Him.

Choices

This way or that way?  One or two?  Up or down?  Now or later?  Life is filled with choices, that's for sure.  But choices are more than just decisions that I make.  They serve as a sort of barometer, gauging my values and priorities.  The options I pick reveal who I follow; me or God.

Romans 12:2 gives the answer to the question of how I can know God's will for my life and therefore understand the choices that will please Him.  First, I must keep from being influenced by the culture of sin in which I live.  Secondly, I need to cooperate with God as He changes the way I think.  As my thoughts fall more closely in line with God's, I will recognize the path He has prepared for me to follow.  (Ephesians 2:10)

Unfortunately for me, I often fall right in line with the world, buying into what Satan is selling through enticing temptations that are all around me.  If I hold my own contentment as most dear to me, for example, I will choose that which appeals to this desire, rejecting any notion of discomfort that will bring eternal reward. (Matthew 5:11-12

If my dreams are at the forefront of my mind, I will climb the ladder I think will lead me to great heights, only to find that I have forsaken my first Love.  (Revelation 2:4)  

If I allow my desire for popularity and acceptance to drive me, I will soon find myself walking the wide, crowded path that leads to destruction.  (Matthew 7:13)

Therefore, it will take intentionality to stand against the influences of this world, clinging instead to the richness of His Word and responding to His supernatural, transforming work that is going on within.  Then I will rejoice in the race He has marked out for me to run.

If I want to avoid the road traveled by the sons of Eli, I must make choices that honor God and deny the ways of the world that appeal to my flesh.

Work

My husband grew up with a strong work ethic instituted by his father.  Therefore, the highest compliment he can pay me is to say I am a hard worker.  Before I understood this about my partner, however, I took offense to his attempts at praise, thinking it not really complimentary but more like he was placing me in the same category as a mule or work horse!  Now that I know my husband better, I take his words as the compliment he intends them to be.

It's easy to take this mindset and transfer it to God's kingdom, thinking that He too must value my efforts.  Soon I find myself laboring hard "for the Lord," throwing myself into all kinds of activities that I think will please God and impress others.  Unfortunately, I end up forgetting God in the whole process, resulting in my efforts being in vain.

No matter how many good things I do; working religiously at the local soup kitchen, giving time selflessly to visiting the infirm, using my gifts to improve a ministry in my church, none of it will make any difference if it is done on my own.  In other words, if I am using my own self-discipline to keep my weekly appointment, depending upon my own brand of love to uplift those who are sick, or relying on my own strength to get a job done, my works are just that: works, empty and meaningless in the eternal scheme of things.

If instead I hold as most dear my connection to Jesus, keeping Him at the forefront of my minds-eye, He will lead me to do the things He has for me to do. (John 15:5) Once I follow Him, I will find  that I am producing fruit that will last for all of eternity.  Instead of spinning my wheels, I'll be leaving a lasting legacy of which God will be pleased.

Therefore it will take intentionality to resist the urge to labor hard for the Lord, diverting my tendency to work into an effort to grow closer to Him. (Luke 10:38-42) As I get to know Him better, my desire to obey His calling on my life will result in fruit that will last.

If I want to avoid the road traveled by the sons of Eli, I must make it my life's work to know God more intimately.


There is no doubt that Eli's sons were on the wrong track.  As evil as their actions were, however, I can easily find myself in the same mess if I'm not careful.  Living for myself and according to my fleshly desires have the potential of leading me down a very destructive path.  Therefore, it is important that I purposefully and deliberately use my time, make my choices, and work in ways that honor God.  In this way I will avoid being called a worthless woman.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can live each moment for the glory of God.

When do I make choices that only bring pleasure to me?

How am I driven by my own desires?       

No comments:

Post a Comment