The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Done Foolishly

"'You have done a foolish thing,' Samuel said.
'You have not kept the command
the LORD your God gave you;
if you had,
he would have established your kingdom
over Israel for all time.'"
1 Samuel 13:13



Saul had good reason to take matters into his own hands and make offerings to the Lord without Samuel.  His troops were scattering, the courage of his men was waning, and the enemy's forces were mustering, gathering more and more strength with each passing hour.  He was the leader:  He must make a decision!

Adding to the justification of his resolve to cease waiting and start acting was the fact that Samuel did not show up when he said he would.  Saul felt he had no choice but to go ahead without the judge and prophet.  He would never attempt such a feat as fighting the Philistines without first seeking God's favor.  Therefore, it seemed he was left without an option; it was time to offer up the sacrifice himself. (1 Samuel 13:1-10)

It is easy to do what seems right and what looks like the wise choice, but to completely disregard God's command.  If I am to avoid this pitfall of Saul, I had better stop acting foolishly.

According to Man's Wisdom

God helps those who help themselves.
Don't worry, be happy.
A penny saved is a penny earned.
Cleanliness is next to godliness.

It seems right to my common-sense-way-of-thinking that God probably does want me to make an effort in solving my own problems, to simply replace my worry with a smile, to save as much money as possible, and to keep my house, belongings and body clean as a way to get closer to Him.  

If I ask God for wisdom, however, and study His Word, I will find something quite different.  In reality, God gives strength to those who wait on Him (Isaiah 40:31), the only anecdote to worry is prayer (Philippians 4:6-7), a wise investment is one that is made in Him and His kingdom (Luke 12:16-21, Matthew 6:19-21), and godliness comes through self-sacrifice and seeking God and His kingdom above all things (Romans 12:1, Matthew 6:33)

When stress is building and I'm looking for something to grasp onto, it's easy for me to reach out to what is convenient and readily available.  If the advice seems right, I'm ready to jump in with both feet, accepting the wise words as truth.  

Since it doesn't seem to be working to wait on God's timing and I'm wondering if He might have forgotten about me.  I'm tempted to find my own solution and start making things happen.   Or, I tirelessly search for different treatments to cure what ails me, constantly trying alternate remedies and seeking the advice of medical professionals, never once committing my health to the Lord who is the Great Healer. (Jeremiah 17:14)  Or I constantly hear messages about smart, financial investments and I start believing the only responsible thing is for me to go after what I need, forgetting that I have a Father who already knows what is necessary for my life.  (Matthew 6:31-33)

I am acting a fool when I live my life according to man's wisdom instead of God's.

Disregarding God's Commands

I know what God said, but it doesn't really apply to this particular situation.
God will understand.  It's just this once. . .
I usually don't but I have no other choice.

I can come up with a million justifications for my rebellious actions but when God sees my unwillingness to do as He has commanded, it's only called one thing:  Disobedience.   Therefore, it should be my highest desire to pay attention to what God teaches to me and to do as He says.

When a coworker stabs me in the back, jeopardizing my job, my natural response is to defend my reputation and preserve my position.   If I honestly seek the Lord in this situation, however, I might find that it is His desire that I respond in love, graciously forgiving my attacker and letting God use this trial in a way that glorifies Him.  Handling the crisis my way might have saved my job, but a prime opportunity to further God's kingdom and produce godly fruit was lost. (Matthew 6:14-15, Luke 3:8)

When I'm laboring over the tax forms, stressing about all the money I owe the federal government, a friend shows me a way out.  As I ponder her suggestion I realize it seems like a fail-safe plan.  Making the necessary adjustments would save me thousands of dollars in taxes, but would cost me much more in my relationship with the Lord.  (Matthew 22:21, Romans 13:6-7)

When I pass by the homeless people sprawled out on the sidewalk, I feel disgusted at the way they are ruining the atmosphere of the downtown area.  When I get home, I am so bothered that I write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper, demanding action by the authorities to "clean up the mess."  My way of thinking may garner much support, but it flies in the face of God's desire for me to love the unlovable and reach out to those in need.  (Matthew 5:42-48, Luke 10:25-37)

I'm acting a fool when I disregard what God has taught me through His Word.

Led by Desperation

The birds cowered in the bush, listening to the sound of the hunter quietly approaching.  One of the pheasants grew anxious, finding it hard to stay put.  Even though her friends implored her to hunker down and stay in the safety of their cover, this nervous Nellie suddenly fluttered out of the tall grasses, unable to sit there while danger lurked so close.  She must have felt doing something was better than doing nothing.  Unfortunately, she paid for such a foolish decision with her life.

This tragic scene in the movie Bambi always touches my heart.  I can relate to the little pheasant who wanted to fly to safety, far away from the predator who sought her life.  I often share her faulty line of thinking, believing that doing something, is better than just sitting there like a lump on a log!

Godly decisions are not made in a state of panic and desperation is not a wise counselor.  Instead of letting my anxious heart be my guide, I would exhibit wisdom if I first took the time to seek God's counsel. (2 Chronicles 18:4, James 1:5)

Recognizing God as the sovereign planner of my life, granting Him dominion over my days, means I'll watch for Him to guide me down the path He designed for me to follow.  (Hebrews 12:1, Proverbs 3:5-6)  

This probably means my decisions may look foolish to those who are in the world.  Most people won't understand why I do what I do.  Some may even call me irresponsible or just plain stupid for following such a path.  In the end, however, I will be glad that I paid attention to God's leading and went where He called me to go.

I'm acting a fool when I let desperation be my guide.


I can relate to Saul when he felt stuck between a rock and a hard place.  In the stress of the moment, he made the decision he thought was best.  Unfortunately, he leaned on his own understanding, disregarded God's commands, and let desperation lead him  Consequently, he lost favor with the Lord.  If I want to avoid a similar result, I would be wise to let God's Word be my guide, to pay close attention to what He teaches me, and to follow Him and Him alone.  In these ways, I will avoid acting as foolishly as Saul did.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can seek God in all my ways, even when I'd rather take the first advice that sounds good to me.

When do I disregard God's ways as if they aren't important?

How do I let desperation be my guide? 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment