The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Him Who Called

"Because he was very thirsty,
he cried out to the LORD,
'You have given your servant this great victory.
Must I now die of thirst
and fall into the hands of the uncircumcised?'
Then God opened up the hollow place in Lehi,
and water came out of it.
When Samson drank,
his strength returned and he revived.
So the spring was called En Hakkore,
and it is still there in Lehi."
Judges 15:18-19



He was known for his wild outbursts, passionate tantrums and violent ways.  It seemed he couldn't control himself, often killing many in the course of one of his rampages.  He's not my idea of a leader that could be respected nor admired.  In my opinion, he was a selfish, immature man with serious anger issues.

Nevertheless, Samson was chosen by God to lead the people of Israel for 20 years.  Why would He set apart such an aggressive, cruel man to serve as their judge?  God intended to use such a man to bring judgement upon the Philistines and deliver His people from their enemy's hand. (Judges 13:5

As much fault as I can find in this man of strength who was bent on revenge, I can admit that Samson knew, at least in some small way, from where his strength came.  After killing 1000 men with the jawbone of a donkey, he became very thirsty.  Instead of drawing from his own resources, he cried out to the One he knew as the Source of all good things and the Provider of his needs.  Therefore, the spring God made in response became known as the "spring of him who called."

Likewise, I can be known as one who calls in my time of need.

Strength

I can't go on, its just too much.  It doesn't take much for me to reach the end of my rope.  Even small frustrations or stresses can deplete me of my own resources.  Living life in my own strength is an exercise in futility.

When I admit my need for God's strength and cry out to Him in desperation, He comes through, enabling me to take another step.  The prophet Isaiah reminded God's people of the wisdom of relying on His strength. (Isaiah 40:28-31) God doesn't get tired or run out of steam like I do.  Therefore, I can go to Him at any time and draw from His stores of power to accomplish what is impossible for my measly means.

Sometimes that means I'll soar to new heights, feeling like I'm on top of the world and can accomplish anything.  Other times His strength gives me that extra oomph I need to finish well.  Then there are the times when He enables me to simply keep putting one foot in front of the other.  

These are the times when I feel most inadequate and like I'm not good for much of anything.  In reality, I'm bringing glory to Him as I rely on His strength to keep me from giving up.  Persevering and resisting the urge to quit often takes the most power of all.

When I rely on God to supply the strength I need to carry on, I am leaving a legacy as one who calls upon the Lord.

Provision

Some call it "the rat race."  Day after day the routine is the same:  Get up, get dressed, get out the door, fight the traffic, find a parking spot, rush to the office, labor all day, get in the car, go home, go to bed, do it all over again.  Life can consist of a constant struggle to provide for my needs and those of my family.

While most would not consider this as much of a life, it is the reality for many.  For those who follow Christ, however, there is so much more.  I was made for a purpose that goes far beyond surviving.  Instead, He created me to thrive, doing meaningful things that impact eternity.  (Ephesians 2:10, John 10:10)

When I focus on pursuing what I think I need, however,  I lose sight of my true purpose.  Instead of fulfilling the purpose for which I was made, I become focused on things that hold no eternal value.  I spend my time making sure I have enough provisions, stocking up on savings to make sure my future is secure, and building my reserves so I have something to fall back on.

While I'm working so hard to provide for my own needs, I am missing out on the good things God has saved up for me.  I am forgetting I have a Father whose desire is to provide for me in ways I never imagined and who wants nothing more from me than my heart. (Ephesians 3:20,Matthew 6:31-33) While I'm wearing myself down in my pursuit of happiness, He is waiting for me to let Him give me my heart's desire. (Psalm 37:4)  Trouble is, I'm too busy trying to go after it myself.

God made me to focus on higher things. (Matthew 6:33) Instead of acting like those who do not know their purpose, I must live like I'm here to give God the glory for the great things He is doing in my life.  Instead of pretending like I'm left to fend for myself, I must live like I've got a Father who lovingly and faithfully provides for my needs.  Instead of getting caught up in the temporal,  I must live like the eternal is what is most valuable. 

When I rely on God to supply for my needs, I am leaving a legacy as one who calls upon the Lord.

Love

 It is the calling card of those who follow Jesus, the mark that sets me apart from the world, the sign of Someone's presence in my heart.  Love.  It is patient, kind, intent on protecting, trusting, hoping and persevering.  It isn't boastful or proud, dishonoring to others or easily angered.  Instead of seeking what's best for self, love looks out for the best interest of others.  Love rejoices when what is right and true prevails, never celebrating an injustice, even if its done to an enemy.  Love never fails.  (1 Corinthians 13)

This kind of love cannot be found in the world, nor is it available in my own darkened heart.  Instead, the love described above only exists in the Lord.  He is love, and He is my only source of love.  There is no way I can generate the kind of love God emits; it only comes from Him. (1 John 4:7-8)

Therefore, if I want to love as He has called me to love, I must draw from His deep well that flows through my life when I'm connected to Him.  When I make the effort to drum up some kind of compassionate feelings toward another, I'll fall short.  Only in relationship with the Source of love will I find myself able to care for others.  

When I rely on God to supply the love that is to be my hallmark as a believer, I am leaving a legacy as one who calls upon the Lord.


I am flawed in many ways, much like the infamous Samson.  While God used the man of strength in a way that fulfilled His sovereign purpose, He can use me similarly.  In order to leave a mark in this world that will last, however, I must rely on God for my strength, to provide for my needs, and to supply the love that I am called to show.  In these ways I'll leave a legacy as one who calls upon the Lord, the Giver of all good things.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can make it my goal to bring glory to God in all that I do.  

When do I run after my own needs instead of letting God choose what's best for me?

How am I guilty of relying on my own meager strength when I could be drawing from His unending stores?

No comments:

Post a Comment