The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Boundaries

"These are the boundaries around
the people of Judah
by their clans."
Joshua 15:12b



The land was wide open, theirs for the taking.  They could have settled anywhere, taking their pick of the land.  God, however, is a God of order and He determined for each tribe to have their own distinct allotment.  With clear, well-defined boundaries, each clan member knew what belonged to him; there was no question.

The same is true for me today.  While I've not been given land, I do have benefits that come with responsibilities, and there are clear boundaries of which I must observe.

Love

I tried to love her but her words cut deeply, wounding my heart and offending my pride.  I wanted to show compassion for her difficult situation, but her complaining and negativity turned me off.  There were times when this woman pushed me to the edge, tempting me to react in anger.

I have a friend who is difficult to love.  As a follower of Christ, I read in God's Word that my life is to be a testimony to the love of God.  (Mark 12:34)  The world that is watching will know I belong to Him because of the love I show to my brothers and sisters.  Even more, though, is the expectation that I love all the unbelievers God places in my life.  (Mark 12:31)

In my ignorance, then, I set out to love out of my own effort.  I think that if I try hard enough, I can conjure up some compassion as I put myself in the shoes of another.  Or, I believe I can respond in kindness to those who treat me like yesterday's rubbish if I simply try to look beneath the harshness to see the hurting heart.  Sometimes I even foolishly think I am able to reach out to help those in need without expecting any kind of acknowledgment for my efforts.

Not surprisingly, I find my own compassion, kindness and desire to help runs dry as I continue in my own strength.  If I don't find an outside source, the shallow well of inferior love that is found in my own heart will come to an end.  God is that Source.  He is love, and His love is perfect.

When my family and I first moved into our current home, we hadn't unpacked our household goods.  Since we had a newly planted tree in our front yard, I needed to give it water each day to help it adapt to its new home and to encourage strong root growth.  Unfortunately, I hadn't found the hose yet so I used a bucket to supply the life-giving water to the tree.  Once the pail was empty, however, I had to return to the source to refill, necessitating many trips back to the faucet on the side of the house.  The day I found the hose I rejoiced!  Now I could simply supply water to the tree directly from the source.

It is the same with love.  I am unable to love in the way God expects me to love.  I can only love because He first loved me, and it is only His love that can astound the world and draws the lost to Him. (1 John 4:16-19)  My own efforts to love fall far short from what God can do if I stay connected to Him. (John 15:5)

I am called to love with the perfect, never-ending supply found in God, not in my own sub-standard, meager stores.

Holiness

"Surely God will be kind to you because of what you've done for Him.  He will give you what you want because of your sacrifice."  This was the logic my Muslim friend dispensed when I told her my husband's need for a job.  In her mind, God is like a man, susceptible to manipulation and observing a kind of barter system.

In reality, God's ways are far above my own. (Isaiah 55:8-9) As my Father, God knows my needs and gives me what He deems best according to His own plan and purpose for my life.  (Matthew 6:31-33)  Therefore, I would be wise to understand His holy nature.  As He is separate from the world's ways and pure of any contaminate, I am called to live similarly.

If I judge myself according to my own sense of righteousness, however, I will find myself becoming judgmental of others while cutting myself slack.  I will expect the impossible from my brothers and sisters while I give myself a pass.  I will find that I spend more time focused on what others need to fix instead of repenting of that which contaminates my own heart.

God calls me to follow His example of holiness, not because I am special or better than anyone else, but due to the fact that I am so weak. (1 Peter 1:13-16)  It is easy for me to fall back into my old ways, acting as if I don't have the power over sin that Jesus supplies. (Romans 6:11-14) In order for me to stand firm against temptation, then, I will need to be aware of my own susceptibility.  I must separate myself from that which lures me backward, seeing sin for what it is: An affront to a holy God.

I am called to live a holy life, but can only stand firm in a fallen world by the grace of a holy God.

Relationship

Jesus never ran after anyone.  He spoke the truth, called for repentance, loved those who had never before experienced such compassion, but He never chased after those who walked away.  Instead, He worked with the one who came down out of the tree to see the Savior, or the woman who took a chance and touched His cloak, or the men who left their nets on the shore in order to follow Him.  (Luke 19:5-6, Luke 8:43-48, Matthew 4:18-22)  

I am called to make disciples of all the world. (Matthew 28:19-20)  In light of this commandment, it's easy for me to become overzealous, desperately trying to force those in my path to see the truth of the Gospel.  I know its power to transform lives, introduce peace into chaos and deliver a rich and meaningful life.  

While I may be able to see how my relationship with the self-professed atheist, the devout Muslim or the homeless alcoholic could serve to introduce Jesus into their desperately hopeless situation, I cannot force them to see their need for a Savior.  Only God can do that.  (John 6:44)

Therefore, when I set out to please people in my feeble attempts to attract the lost to the message that could save their lives, I must remember it is my devotion to Christ which is most important.  This reminds me of a movie I recently watched called, "Machine Gun Preacher." Sam Childers turned his life over to Christ and heard the call to help the war orphans of Sudan. In his quest to protect the innocent from the brutal rebel militia, however, he seemed to lose his connection to Christ.  Instead of letting God work through him to save these children, he used his own brand of warfare to fight the battle that lay before him.  Therefore, he grew into a bitter, angry man who would go to any length to accomplish the mission.

When I place the mission above my relationship with God, I have crossed a boundary set to protect me.  As Oswald Chambers wrote in My Utmost for His Highest, "Discipleship is based solely on devotion to Jesus Christ, not on following after a particular belief or doctrine."  I must not sacrifice my commitment to the person of Jesus in my quest to win souls for Him.

I am called to make disciples of all nations, but can only do so in tandem with Christ.


It is easy for me to go outside the borders God has set for me.  Thankfully, He has placed those boundaries in place to keep me inside His parameters so I can love others with his perfect love, live a holy life by His grace, and keep my relationship with Christ as my utmost ambition.  In these ways I will observe the boundaries God so wisely placed in my life.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can respect the holy nature of God.

When do I take a "no holds barred" approach to living for Christ?

How do I try to love others in my own strength instead of letting God love through me?

No comments:

Post a Comment