The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, February 14, 2014

The Risk of Comfort

"When I have brought them into the land
flowing with milk and honey,
the land I promised on oath to their ancestors,
and when they eat their fill and thrive,
they will turn to other gods and worship them,
rejecting me and breaking my covenant.
And when many disasters and calamities come on them,
this song will testify against them,
because it will not be forgotten by their descendants.
I know what they are disposed to do,
even before I bring them into the land 
I promised them on oath."
Deuteronomy 31:20-21



They were on the cusp of seeing the promise they had so long awaited be fulfilled.  This new generation of Israelites, the children of the whining and complaining group of desert-wandering people, had heard all their lives about the land flowing with milk and honey.  They grew up with the assurance that God would one day, when the time was right, usher them into the land of their inheritance.  

Before they set foot in this glorious land, however, God wanted to make sure they were fully aware of His expectations for them.  After He laid down the law, instructing them directly in His ways, He ended with a warning.  The caution was centered around a tendency for the human heart to stray when times are good.  When they were wandering around the desert, directly dependent upon God for their sustenance (manna and quail), clothing (supernaturally preserved) and guidance (pillar of fire by night and pillar of cloud by day), it was necessary for them to stay focused on their Provider.

Once they entered into the land promised to them, however, times would get easier.  They would live in houses they did not build, eat from gardens they didn't plant and enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor. (Deuteronomy 6:10-13) They would get comfortable.  

When things start to go well, the sinful human heart tends to turn away from God.  It is this treacherous tendency of which God warns.  Thankfully, there is an antidote given for this malady.

Faithfulness of God

"I forgot."
This was often the excuse one of my daughters would give when confronted about her unfinished chores.  While the human memory often fails, God's never does.  

No matter how faithless I tend to be; going my own way, depending on my own strength, and focusing inwardly, God never forgets His promises.  My weakness does not in any way diminish His strength.  My sin never takes away from His holiness.  My waywardness doesn't negate His persistence.  

Therefore, my success in His kingdom depends completely on Him and not on me.  Like He told Paul, His grace is enough for me and His power is evident when I give up in my own labors.  (2 Corinthians 12:9)  When I surrender my life into His hands, He grows to take up a more prominent place in my life.  Once I get out of the way, He can truly show His power.  Until then, my efforts block His work from manifesting in my life.

It is important, then, that I admit to my failings, am honest about my inabilities and stop trying to put up a strong front.  Pretending like I've got everything under control does not bring glory to God.  Showing my weaknesses by living transparently before God and others, admitting of my need for Him does.

If I want to resist drifting away from the Lord in times of comfort, I must keep connected to the God of faithfulness.

Remember

My dad loves to tell stories of his youth.  He recounts the adventures he experienced, the people he encountered, and the hard times he endured.  Hearing about his life helps me to better understand him and the legacy he is leaving his family.

It is important that I use this same practice when it comes to the Lord.  When I talk about His mighty works, recounting all the ways He has provided, comforted and prevailed, I leave a legacy of faith to those who are listening.  As the years go by, these tales may seem like a distant memory or a kind of fairy tale, but the practice of telling the story keeps alive the legends of God's greatness.

For this reason, I make it a practice to keep a "Stones of Remembrance" journal.  Before the Israelites crossed the Jordan River to enter into the Promised Land, God instructed them to collect twelve stones, one for each tribe, and erect them as an altar of remembrance for generations to come.  Whenever children would see the pile of rocks, they would inquire of its significance and those present would have the opportunity to tell how God parted the waters to provide a way for them to enter into the land in which they now live. (Joshua 4:1-7)  In the same way, I keep a record of God's mighty works, big and small, to serve as inspiration in times to come.  

It is good to remind myself and others of how God has provided in the past when I reach a time of want.  When times of loss come, it is beneficial to look back at the comfort God has given during other periods of grief.  If I reach a moment of crisis, it helps to keep in mind the strong leadership my Shepherd has provided in days gone by.

If I want to resist drifting away from the Lord in times of comfort, I must make it a practice to remember the works of God.

Sovereignty of God

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't make it work.  I had the dream of digging a pond for the duck our neighbor gave me.  Even though I was just a kid, I wanted to give my new feathered friends the joy that came from paddling around a body of water.  So, I got to work digging a sizable hole.  Once it was big enough, I ran the hose until it reached the hole and filled it up.  Much to my dismay, the water quickly soaked into the ground.  Without the help of an adult who knew about building ponds, my efforts were for naught.

In the same way that I couldn't reach my goal only with what little know-how I possessed in my young mind, there is no way for me to succeed in life without the Lord. (Proverbs 16:1-9) Nothing happens outside of His will, so if I want to live a life of peace and purpose, I will need to pay attention to His instructions and His leadership.  In the same way that my project failed in my own feeble attempts, so will my life if I rely only on my own understanding and common sense.

Formulating a plan, then, is not what it takes to live a life of meaning that will bring glory to God.  Wanting to do something of worth and value with my life will not get me to my goal.  Taking the steps I think are necessary to please God will do nothing to bring pleasure to Him.  Instead, I must seek God wholeheartedly, relying on His sovereign plan to give me my marching orders.

This means when I want to charge full-steam ahead, I may need to reign in my enthusiasm and wait for the go-ahead from the Master Planner.  I will also find that in the times when I'm feeling vulnerable, God may have amazing feats of wonder to work out in my life in the midst of the struggle.  There is also the possibility that my sense of ill-preparedness is exactly what God will use to showcase His power.

If I want to resist drifting away from the Lord in times of comfort, I must keep in mind that nothing of significance can happen apart from Him.


Even though I desire ease and comfort, there is a risk in reaching such a plateau.  I would be wise, then, to heed God's warning designed to keep me close to Him, and guard against my tendency to drift.  As a result, it is my intention to stand firm on the faithfulness of God, remember His mighty acts, and live as if my life depended on Him.  In these ways, I'll minimize the risk of living a life of comfort and security.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep God in the foreground of my vision.

When do I let God fade into the hazy distance?

How do I try to make things happen on my own, neglecting to consider God's sovereign plan? 

No comments:

Post a Comment