The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Exceptions

"The total number of the men of Israel was 601,730.
The LORD said to Moses,
'The land is to be allotted to them as an
inheritance based on the number of names. . .'
'Why should our father's name disappear from his 
clan because he had no son?
Give us property among our father's relatives.'"
Numbers 26:51-53, 27:4



It didn't seem fair.  The five daughters belonged to the clans of Manasseh, son of Joseph but their father had died in the desert, leaving his family with no sons.  When the census was taken, the men were counted and this number was used in the distribution of land.  Since there were no males to represent them, it was almost as if this family didn't exist.  Therefore, the daughters of Zelophehad would receive no allotment of land.

Instead of settling for the lousy hand they had been dealt, these brave women approached Moses with a request.  Taking them seriously, this humble leader did not simply dismiss them based on the policy God had already established.  Instead, he brought their reasonable request before the Lord.  

I wonder how these women felt as they waited for the answer Moses would receive from the Lord?  They might have thought, Maybe we're too bold to ask such a thing.  What were we thinking?  What God says is law!  Who are we to question Him?  What if He strikes us down for showing such audacity as to go against what He has already established?  Much to their relief, the Lord said, "What Zelophehad's daughters are saying is right.  You must certainly give them property as an inheritance among their father's relatives and give their father's inheritance to them." (Numbers 27:7)

God is not unreasonable in His expectations of us.  If we approach Him with a request, He will do what is right, not putting the law above His people.  Therefore, I can feel comfortable boldly approaching Him if I feel slighted.

Ask

I spent the first 7 years of my educational career dressing for success.  I often lamented to my friends about my mother's expectation that I wear only dresses, skirts or nice pants to school.  One of my best buddies lived up in the mountains and her mom required that she wear jeans in order to keep warm and avoid ruining any nice clothing.  The two of us often expressed the wish that we could switch moms: She wanted to don a skirt and go-go-boots while I longed for the freedom and comfort found in jeans.

Once my younger sister entered Kindergarten my sixth-grade year, I was shocked to witness her everyday attire: Jeans!  How could my mother let her wear jeans when I was always expected to dress up?  After steaming for a few days, I finally drew up the courage to ask my mom.  "How come Debby gets to wear jeans when you always made me wear a dress or nice pants?"

I was shocked by her simple reply, "She asked."
What?  All it took was for me to ask?  It never occurred to me to ask my mom for an exception.  Instead, I did as I was told, grumbling much of the time.  While my outward appearance seemed obedient, my heart was defiant and discontent.

I remember Jesus teaching on this concept in His Sermon on the Mount.  "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." (Matthew 7:7)  Jesus went on to explain that my heavenly Father delights to give me good gifts.  The only thing that is missing is my willingness to make the request to the One who knows my needs and loves to demonstrate His love for me.  

It's not simply about asking for selfish things that will bring pleasure to my life, however.  Instead, it is about recognizing a godly desire for something more and seeking the Giver of good things to quench this thirst. (James 4:3)

If I examine my heart and find a God-honoring hunger, I can boldly ask my Father for what it is that will satisfy.

Assumptions

"It's impossible.  I might as well face it; I'm stuck with this life."  It's easy to have this kind of attitude, especially when the going gets rough or it seems my dream is unattainable.  This might have been how Russel Wilson, the young quarterback of the 2014 Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks could have felt.  Instead, he chose to exercise his faith in the God of the impossible.  

At 5'11'', Wilson was often criticized as being too short to be effective as an NFL quarterback.  Instead of assuming that he couldn't do the job, though, he believed that since God had given him the talent, leadership qualities, and ability to make the decisions necessary to execute big plays on the field, why couldn't God use him despite his shorter stature.  "Why not me?" he asked, utilizing the faith his dad had cultivated in a God who knows no limits.

While it may be easy to think there is no hope, God is not limited in scope, power or vision.  The same God who parted the Red Sea as a means of escape for His people can soften the hardest of hearts.  

The same God who provided manna in the desert and brought forth life-giving water from an ordinary rock in order to sustain His people can certainly supply all my needs.  

The same God who took a wayward people who are sinful to the core and making them appear as white as snow, transforming them into His own precious possession by the blood of Jesus can shrink the tumor, heal the wounds and bind the broken heart.

If I find myself in a seemingly impossible situation, I must never assume there is no hope.

Abundance

Her marriage was a disappointment.  The man she chose to marry turned out to follow a different path than the one on which she had placed her feet.  As time went on, he became cruel and bitter, making her life anything but joyous.  She often asked herself why she had settled for such a man instead of waiting for the best God had to offer.  Instead, she took what she could get, afraid there would be nothing better from which to choose.

How often women do settle for mediocre when they could have a man who loves God wholeheartedly and would treat them like a precious gem. While I am not writing a guide on how to find the mate God has for you, it does remind me of a tendency I often have to settle for an existence instead of a rich life.

Jesus promised me a full, abundant life as I follow Him. (John 10:10) Instead of living in such a rich, fruitful orchard, however, I often find myself in the desert.  Why?  It could be because I follow my own sinful desires instead of taking advantage of the benefit I've got within to walk according to God's indwelling Spirit.  When I do what comes naturally, my heart is filled with strife, bitterness and ambition.  When I instead yield to His work in my life, I find joy, peace and love overflowing in my heart. (Galatians 5:19-23)

Other times, my dull and meaningless life could be the result of going after the things that please me.  Every time I reach another goal, I find myself wanting more, desiring to go higher.  If I instead decide to pay attention to God's calling on my life, doing the things He prepared in advance for me to do, I would find a sense of purpose and meaning I never before realized.  Pleasing God gives me pleasure as I slip into the role God originally designed for me to fill.

Then there are the time when my life consists of a series of duties to fulfill, effort to be made, and obligations to meet.  In place of waking up each morning with the distinct sense that my slate is wiped clean and His mercies are delivered anew, a heavy weight crushes me with the guilt of all the ways I have fallen short. (Lamentations 3:22-23) If I instead accept the complete forgiveness that is mine through faith in Jesus Christ, I will find a freedom from the shame that I can't seem to live as I should.  Following my shepherd as a trusting sheep is much easier than trying to be as good as I think I should be in order to meet that standard that is impossible to reach.  (Matthew 11:28-30)

If I find myself living in a dry desert instead of in a luscious garden, I can open my hands to receive the abundant life I've been promised.


It's easy to take what I've been given without ever imagining there could be more.  Instead of simply gritting my teeth and hunkering down for the remainder of my life, I could do as the daughters of Zelophehad beautifully demonstrated and ask for the good gifts God delights in giving, believe that anything is possible with the Lord, and seek the abundant life He has promised.  In these ways I will get to see that the Lord is a God who values His people above His law.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stop putting limits on God.

When do I assume there is nothing better available and give up hope?

How do I settle for mediocre when God has spectacular planned for me?   

No comments:

Post a Comment