The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Fair Measure

"You must have accurate and honest weights and measures,
so that you may live long
in the land the LORD your God is giving you."
Deuteronomy 25:15



"Hello?"
"Hello!  This is Sam from your friendly fundraising organization.  How are you?"
"I'm doing well.  How are you doing today?"
"I'm fine, thank you for asking.  Did you know that you are the first person to ask me how I'm doing all day?  I'm beginning to wonder if you are the only one who cares!  Hahahaha!"

If I've heard this line once, I've heard it a hundred times from one of the numerous telemarketers who call our home.  While I'd like to believe the person on the other end of the line is sincere, I can't continue to fool myself into thinking this is a sentiment that is coming from their heart.  Instead, it is some kind of marketing ploy designed to flatter me into agreeing to financially contributing to their cause. Since it's already been established that I am such a caring, giving person, the obvious decision would be to support their cause!

While I may not be able to trust what is coming out of the mouth of a salesman or charity fundraiser, I should be able to take a believer at his word.  As a follower of Christ, I am to be known for my honesty and upright character so as to honor God who is righteous.  Unfortunately, there are numerous instances when I am tempted to tip the scales in my favor.  In order to glorify God in my everyday life, then, I must guard against my sinful affinity for even the mildest of corruption.

Integrity

I've heard it said that integrity is who I am when no one is looking.   It's easy to put up a front of honest behavior when others are watching, especially if it's someone I want to impress.  When I'm by myself, however, and believe no one will ever find out what I'm doing; that is when my true character is revealed.

If I want to honor God in the way I conduct my affairs, then, I will need to be careful to distribute the love God lavishes upon me with an even hand.  Instead of being more generous and accommodating to those who treat me well, God is better glorified when I choose to deal with those who kick me in the teeth in a compassionate and respectful way. (1 John 4:7-8)

While I tend to hold onto a grudge when I've been hurt, God is better glorified when I choose to let go of the anger and bitterness I may carry in my heart.  Extending forgiveness to all who have wounded me reflects well upon my Father who has forgiven me of much.  (Ephesians 4:32)

It is easier to consider another's needs above my own when that person is gracious and thankful.  I can only claim integrity, however, when I do the same no matter how little recognition I receive for my efforts.  (Philippians 2:3-4)  It is then that God's name will be lifted on high.

I will be guarding against corruption in my life when I strive for integrity.

Consistency

"Mom, I thought you said we needed to wash our own dishes.  Why did you leave yours in the sink?"
Ugh!  My family only knows too well of my willingness to exempt myself of the standard I apply to everyone else.  If I am to reflect well upon my Father, however, I must repent of this sinful tendency.

It's easy for me to expect from others what I'm not willing to do myself.  This heart attitude shows up when I give myself a pass, justifying my actions to make myself feel better. It's been a long day and all I want to do is get home.  I'll let my husband fill up the gas tank in the morning.  Unfortunately for me, everyone in the family knows how many times I've preached against this practice, lambasting anyone who leaves the car on empty.

Then there are the times when I'm irritated at someone, complaining to anyone who will listen about their shameful character traits, especially their tendency to gossip.  Unfortunately for me, I'm performing the same destructive behavior I so arrogantly condemned, making myself out to be a fool and my God as One whose power is impotent against the sin I so brazenly display.

I don't need to try to hold myself to a lower standard; it comes so naturally.  Nowhere is this more evident than when a grumpy sales clerk belittles me and treats me like yesterday's trash.  Instead of showing her the respect I demand from others, I give her a piece of my mind in an effort to protect my own rights.  While this could have been a good opportunity to practice what I preach, I chose to sink to a lower level, letting my flesh lead the charge and prove myself as a hypocrite.

I will be guarding against corruption in my life when I hold myself to the same standard I set for others.

Manipulation

"You had better put down a local address or you'll never get a job."
This is the advice given to my husband who was applying for jobs in the city where God was calling us to relocate.   We reasoned that if God wanted us there, He would supply the work.  Therefore, we wouldn't do anything special to try to win the favor of perspective employers.  Instead, we'd wait on God's perfect timing.

It's easy to take on the mindset of my neighbor, however, thinking I need to manipulate the facts, fudge the results, and tell little white lies in order to get what I think I need.  Instead, as a follower of Christ, I must always keep in mind that I have a Father who has unlimited resources and knows what I need better than I do. (Psalm 50:10Matthew 6:32-33) If I am to bring Him glory, I must let Him supply my needs.

This means that I must resist the urge to skew the numbers to my benefit when filling out a tax form or application for financial aid.  While my efforts might seem work out to my benefit, I risk bringing dishonor to my name and ultimately to God's when I cheat.  Instead, I can trust my heavenly Father to supply my needs in the way He best sees fit.

Perhaps my love for animals has put me over the landlord's limit.  Instead of coming clean with the true number of pets residing in the house, I attempt to get around the rule by claiming a lower number.  While my effort to provide a loving home for wayward strays may be commendable, my lack of integrity is not.  Instead, I can trust God to protect me from harm and choose to conduct business in truth.

When I'm afraid to see how much tax I'll have to pay on the true cost of the used vehicle I purchased, fudging the numbers on the bill of sale may seem to be the obvious solution.  If I trusted God enough, however, I'd record the true amount paid and let Him provide for the means to cover the resulting bill.

I will be guarding against corruption in my life when I trust God enough to refrain from manipulating circumstances to benefit myself.


It is not always easy to live a life of honor.  As one who follows Christ, though, I must always remember my life is not my own.  Since I was bought with a price, it is important that I honor God in all my ways.  This means I must live with integrity, consistency and enough faith in God to avoid using manipulation.  In these ways I'll be using a fair measure and will glorify Him in the way I live my life.



As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can desire to uphold God's holy and righteous reputation.

How do I drag His name through the dirt in the way I live my life?

When am I more concerned with getting the results I want than in how my behavior reflects on the Lord?


No comments:

Post a Comment