The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Cursed for Us

"If someone has committed a crime worthy of death
and is executed and hung on a tree,
the body must not remain hanging from the tree overnight.
You must bury the body that same day,
for anyone who is hung is cursed in the sight of God."
Deuteronomy 21:22-23a NLT



It was a horrible way to die.  The insolent young man who refused to obey his parents, choosing instead to live to please his own desires by gorging in sensual pleasures and drink, was taken to the outskirts of town.  According to God's holy law, the men of the town were required to throw stones at the rebellious youth until he succumbed to death.  This was God's chosen form of execution as a way to purge evil from His nation. (Deuteronomy 21:18-23)

Death by hanging on a tree, in contrast, was not an acceptable form of punishment and brought with it the curse of God.  Isn't it curious, then, that Jesus would willingly accept the shame that came with being put to death on a cross, taking on this curse of God on my behalf? (Galatians 3:13)  Yet this is exactly what Christ did.  He was willing to fall under God's curse in order to bring righteousness and eternal life to me.  In light of such a sacrifice, I am called to follow His lead.

Choose Humility

He is God.  With this identity comes privilege, power and honor.  Even so, He chose to give up His place at the right hand of God the Father where He was esteemed and lifted up in order to take on the form of a lowly human.  Not only that, but He sunk even lower, exchanging His divine nature for that of a servant.  Perhaps the greatest example of the humility of Christ, however, was that He agreed to death on a cross; a kind of execution that brought shame and disgrace to the one hanging there. (Philippians 2:5-8)

If Jesus was willing to undergo such treatment even though His name is above all other names, why am I so intent on preserving my own rights, demanding respect from others and protecting my reputation?  It is easy for me to get caught up in focusing on my privileges, my position, my character.  In fact, I often live according to the principles of the survival of the fittest, every man for himself and may the best man win.

Unfortunately, this self-centered mindset is not of God but of the world.  In order to follow Jesus, then, I must constantly fling off this self-preserving way of conducting life and instead pursue Jesus.  When He is my sole pursuit, I am only concerned with His name being glorified, His love being shared and His sacrifice being honored.  In this way, I will choose humility.

When Jesus stood on the mount, teaching the masses the ways of His kingdom, He said that, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:3)  When I rate my own pursuits as insignificant, esteeming the needs of others as more valuable, I have chosen humbleness.  When I let go of my desire to defend myself, deeming the pursuit of peace as of more importance, I have chosen humbleness.  When I find the need to prove myself as right fading into the hazy background, choosing instead to understand the heart of my opponent, I have chosen humbleness.

Making the choice to take on a humble spirit is evidence that I am following Christ.

Choose the Gospel

He didn't have to agree.  Jesus could have refused.  He knew the hearts of men and of their cruel spirit. (John 2:25) He knew He would be spat upon, rejected and ridiculed.  Instead of preserving His own dignity, though, He chose to come to earth as a mere human in order to take the punishment of those He loves enough for whom to die.  There is no greater love than what He chose that fateful day. (John 15:13)  He chose to die a criminal's death, to become sin itself in order to save me from eternal death and restore my relationship with a holy God.  (2 Corinthians 5:21)

What kind of sacrifice do I choose in order to further the good news of Jesus Christ?  Humiliation?  Embarrassment?  Rejection?  Most of the time I am too comfortable in my safe zone.  If I am to follow in the footsteps of Jesus, however, I will not find it objectionable to be considered as yesterday's garbage for the sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  (1 Corinthians 4:9-13)

This means when someone laughs in my face, I will only see the face of Christ as He hung in agony of the cross, dying a slow and painful death so that this mocker could taste life.  As Oswald Chambers said in My Utmost for His Highest, "You can refuse to let God count you as one separated unto the gospel.  Or you may say--'I do not care if I am treated as the offscouring of the earth as long as the Gospel is proclaimed.'"

Treating the Gospel as most important also means when someone targets me for abusive behavior, I endure, gently speaking the truth in love with the hope that my enemy will soon see the Truth and repent.  (2 Timothy 2:25-26)

It also means when I am fodder for the rumor mill, I will respond in love, always keeping in mind the testimony for Christ my reply could be.  

Making the choice to esteem the Gospel as most precious is evidence that I am following Christ.

Choose Obedience

He could have commanded legions of angels to rescue Him from the coming torture. (Matthew 26:53) He agonized so much over the decision to obey His Father's wishes that blood mingled with the sweat on His brow.  Jesus suffered as He prayed in the garden, wanting more than anything to further His Father's will but struggling with the thought of what was to come.  (Luke 22:42-44)

Jesus chose obedience over His own comfort, safety or well-being.  Instead of doing what would seem best for Himself, He placed His Father's will above His own.  In order to follow Christ, then, I must do the same.

When I am tempted to make a decision based on what will best benefit me, then, I instead need to consider what it is God desires. (Proverbs 3:5-6)  When I naturally look out for my own best interest, doing what will further my own long-term plan, I would be wise to instead seek the Lord to find out the plan He has for me.  (Jeremiah 29:1-13)  Or when I tend to do the things that elevate my own dreams and desires, I must cooperate with God as He transforms my way of thinking to more closely line up with His so that I'll recognize His aspirations for my life.  (Romans 12:2)

Making the choice to value God's will above my own is evidence that I am following Christ.


I am so thankful to Christ for the gift of salvation His death made possible.  While I could very easily live my life never going any further than making Jesus my Savior, it is my desire to go deeper and let Him be Lord of my life.  When I elevate Him to this position, I will find that it is necessary to do as He does by choosing humility, the Gospel and obedience to my Father above all other pursuits.  In this way, my faith in Christ will be shown as authentic and His sacrifice to take on the curse of God as He hung on that cross will not be in vain.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will humble myself before the Lord as I go about my day.

What kinds of everyday experiences tempt me to defend my own rights instead of desiring to elevate the Gospel?

How is it difficult for me to seek out God's will above my own?

No comments:

Post a Comment