The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, March 7, 2014

Take Possession

"So Joshua said to the Israelites:
'How long will you wait before you begin
to take possession of the land that the LORD,
the God of your ancestors, 
has given you?'"
Joshua 18:3



"I live in constant guilt, like a cloud of condemnation is always hanging over me.  I want to live for God, but I keep getting sucked back into my old ways.  I can't stay away from the bottle.  I'm drawn to movies I know do not honor God.  I do things I shouldn't do with my boyfriend.  I feel powerless against sin.  What's wrong with me?  I thought Jesus died to give me an abundant life, but this feels like no life at all."

Can you relate?  This is the struggle of many-a-Christian.  They accept Christ as their Savior and sit back, waiting for the change that never comes.  Meanwhile, they continue living as if nothing is different.  I certainly can relate because this was similar to the pattern my own life took after accepting Jesus as my Savior.  For 18 years I lived my life like the rest of the world.  There was no peace. There was no joy.  There was no difference.

In the same way that God gave the Israelites an abundant land, He gave me life and life to the full.  (John 10:10b)  If I don't take hold of it, though, it will never be mine.  It lays subdued before me (Joshua 18:1), ripe for the picking.  What is holding me back?

Fear

What if He asks me to leave my family and live in a third world country?
What if He calls me to do something I can't do?
What if I make a fool of myself?
What if. . . .
The "what ifs" can rule my life, rendering me impotent in God's kingdom.  Fear can paralyze me, keeping me rooted in the same spot as I ponder the options that lay before me.  Either I can hold on to the illusion that I'm controlling my own life, or I can surrender to God and His plan for my life, letting Him direct my footsteps. 

I am often afraid to let go because it seems like the known is better than the unknown; the seen far superior to what I can't see.  If handing the reigns of my life over to God so that He can be in charge of the direction in which I travel means I have no idea what lies around the next bend, I balk.  Why?  Scripture tells me it's because I have no clue of the depth of God's love for me!  (1 John 4:18, Ephesians 3:17-19)

When I truly grasp the immensity of His love, it's never-ending properties and my inability to quench it's fire, I will be able to completely place myself in His hands, trusting Him fully with every part of my life.  With that kind of love, how can I disappoint Him?  With that kind of love, how could He hurt me?  With that kind of love, how could He steer me wrong?

Yes, I can trust God enough to jump into His loving arms knowing that I'll be well-cared for.  I need not worry that I will regret this decision, or that I'll wish I had retained control over my own life.  The reality is, I only fooled myself into thinking I was in control.  

God is sovereign.  He is not a bully, however, and waits for me to willingly give Him domain over my life.  As my Creator, He has full rights to me, but His gentlemanly character won't allow Him to snatch control from my hands.  Instead, He stands at the door and knocks.  It's up to me to let Him in.  (Revelation 3:20)

Jesus has offered me an abundant life, but fear often keeps me from fully surrendering to the plan God's love makes possible for me.  (Ephesians 2:10)

Worth

I sat in the crowded room at the conference soaking in all the good teachings I was hearing, but nagged by a feeling of unease.  Just under the surface lay a kind of dread; a sense that at any moment someone was going to tap me on the shoulder and ask, "What are you doing here?  You don't belong.  You need to go."

These feelings of unworthiness plagued me for years, holding me back from truly grasping hold of the plan God had for my life.  It was hard for me to answer His call because I didn't believe I was good enough to do anything worthwhile for Him.  Who did I think I was, anyway?  I would often think.

The reality is that I am not worthy. (1 Corinthians 15:9-11) That much was true.  The part that I had wrong was that my fitness or merit has anything to do with my place in God's kingdom.  Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was enough to make me right with God. (Philippians 3:9, 2 Corinthians 5:21) His blood covers all my sins, giving me full rights to His kingdom.  

The grace of God has made possible my adoption as a wholly loved child; something that can never be taken away from me. (1 John 3:1,Romans 8:38-39) There is nothing I can do to earn such an unspeakable gift. (Ephesians 2:8-9) Instead, I must humbly accept it, knowing the burden of fulfillment lies completely on Christ's shoulders.

Jesus has offered me an abundant life, but feelings of unworthiness and guilt often keeps me from fully grasping the gift of salvation that is offered by grace through faith.

Apathy

She lived in squalor.  Her life consisted of scrounging around each day to find the bare basics required for survival.  Winter temperatures brought suffering as she struggled to stay warm.    When offered clean, dry, warm shelter, she refused it, choosing instead to stick with what was familiar.

I can be just like this homeless woman who'd rather stay in the camp she and a few others built in a small stand of trees than to live with a roof over her head and face the responsibilities such a life would require her to uphold.  It's easy to be comfortable with the mediocrity of where I am than to grasp hold of the abundant of what seems just beyond my reach.

God issued a warning to the church of Laodicea that applies to today's believers as well.  He said, "You say, 'I am rich.  I have everything I want.  I don't need a thing!' And you don't realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.  So I advise you to buy gold from me--gold that has been purified by fire.  Then you will be rich.  Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see.  I correct and discipline everyone I love.  So be diligent and turn from your indifference."  (Revelation 3:17-19 NLT)

When I carry an attitude of apathy, feeling comfortable right where I am, I am failing to grasp hold of the purpose for which God has created me!  It reminds me of when I played tennis in high school.  The coach would often tell me to stay in the ready position, keeping my weight forward on my toes so that when my opponent hit the ball, I'd be able to respond quickly.  When I stayed back on my heels, my reaction time was hampered.

It's the same with me in my walk with Christ.  If I hang back, preferring to stay where I am, I'm not showing Him that I'm ready to go wherever He leads me.  I don't realize that the place where I feel so at ease is not God's best for me.  He's got something so much better but I have to trust Him enough to go forward into the unknown.  

Jesus has offered me an abundant life, but my attitude of apathy often keeps me from walking forward by faith into the life God has planned for me to live.


In the same way that the Israelites failed to step forward and claim the land God had subdued for them, I often do the same with the abundant life He's promised to me.  Fear, feelings of unworthiness and an attitude of apathy often hold me back.  Instead, I must remember the power of God's love that has saved me, the grace that makes the abundant life possible for me, and the faith that will propel me into God's best.  With these tools firmly in my grasp, I can step forward and take possession of the life God is freely offering to me.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can take hold of all the good God has planned for this day.

When do I feel like I don't belong in God's kingdom?

How do I sit back, content with the anemic life to which I've grown accustomed?  

No comments:

Post a Comment