The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Thorn in my Side

"'For your part,
you were not to make any covenants with the people
living in this land;
instead, you were to destroy their altars.
But you disobeyed my command.
Why did you do this?
So now I declare that I will no longer drive out
the people living in your land.
They will be thorns in your sides,
and their gods will be a constant temptation to you.'"
Judges 2:2-3 NLT



Every time I put my walking shoes on, something sharp would poke me in the arch of the foot.  Instead of taking the time to investigate the source of the pain, however, I rushed through my morning walk, eager to move on to the next part of my day.  Consequently, I developed a sore where the irritating little prickle stuck me each time I took a step.  

The only solution to relieve the pain that came with walking and to allow my foot to heal was to take the time necessary and attention needed to remove the culprit from my shoe.  As I examined my shoe, running my finger along its inside surface, I located the cause:  A tiny yet sharp thorn that had somehow worked itself into the fabric of my footwear.  

In the same way that my inattention to the problem of the thorn in my shoe was a constant source of irritation to me, that which I fail to crucify on the cross can become a thorn in my side and a snare to me. (Galatians 5:24)

Temptation

It was God's intention that His people remain pure.  Knowing how easily His image bearers are swayed, His plan included the necessity for the people of Israel to live separately from the people who dwelled nearby.  

Instead, the Israelites failed to drive out the indigenous people.  Their altars still stood, their pagan ways threatened to taint the ways the Lord had taught them to live and their daughters were a constant lure for the young men of Israel. (Judges 1:19-36)  In short, their unwillingness to take God at His word threatened their relationship with Him.

Similarly, my unwillingness to root sin out of my life threatens my relationship with God. (James 1:14-15) The more I entertain a fleshly thought, desire or craving, the more power it holds in my life.  Soon, I'll find myself giving into the temptation and living as if I have no Savior.  (Romans 6:12-14)

Therefore, I must take sin seriously, realizing it's insidious nature and never allowing it to take root in my heart.  When I become aware of my proclivity for gossip, then, I must turn away from my fleshly desire to share information about others.  Surrendering my natural tendencies to Christ gives me the power to only speak what will build others up.

Instead of giving in to my innate craving for sensual pleasures, I must remind myself of the richness of living in tandem with a God who provides for all my needs.  That which promises satisfaction outside of Him never delivers.  

As a replacement for worry that eats away at the peace that trusting in Jesus supplies, I can dedicate each anxious thought to the God who has all the resources necessary to lovingly care for me.

Allowing sin to dwell in my heart serves as a thorn that will constantly tempt me to succumb to it's power.

My Plan

I thought I had it all figured out.  I would earn my degree, start a career and live a life fulfilling all my dreams.  Unfortunately, I failed to consult the One who held the blueprint for my life.  If I had, I would have realized the better plan He had for me to dedicate my life to supporting my devoted husband and raising our four amazing daughters.

When I insist on making my own plans apart from God, I won't get to see His glorious purpose nor witness His awesome power at work.  As long as I hold the reigns to my life, driving in the direction I want to go, I'll miss out on the peace that comes in letting God choose for me.  As long as I think I have the wherewithal to create my own destiny, I'll fail to appreciate the purpose He has given me in Christ.  (Ephesians 2:10)  As long as I insist on doing things my way, I'll forego witnessing the work of His mighty Hand as He consistently makes a way where there is none.

Let's face it; my plan is puny in comparison to God's.  Since His ways are so much higher than mine, and His mind so far superior to what sits between my ears, I can expect great things to come from Him. (Isaiah 55:9)  When I trust Him enough to let Him have His way in my life, I will witness great and wondrous things.

I will see Him fill my empty gas tank through the thankful heart of a sister whose need had been met.  Or I will witness the way He takes what was good and transforms it into something even better.  Or I will observe the unexpected provision coming from a surprising source.

Insisting on following my own path will be a constant source of heartache as I miss out on the good God has planned for me.

Idols

There are some things that cannot be denied:  Jesus sits at the right hand of God Almighty. (Mark 16:19) He will judge all of mankind. (2 Timothy 4:1, John 5:22) In the end, every knee will bow and tongue will confess that He is Lord. (Philippians 2:8-11)  Whether or not I acknowledge these truths and give Him the honor due in the here and now is up to me.

It is easy to let other people, things and pursuits creep in and take the place of Jesus as lord of my life.  Sometimes I give more regard to those I love than I do to the One who loves me perfectly. (Luke 14:26Matthew 12:46-50) Other times I put my all into going after that which seems to give me fulfillment instead of finding all I need at the feet of Jesus. (John 4:14, Luke 10:38-42) Sometimes I spend more time learning how to become a better employee and thus gain a promotion than I do to acknowledging the truth that will lead to godly living.  (Titus 1:1)

When I live in such a way, I risk losing the blessing that comes with walking in tandem with His Spirit.  Instead of producing fruit that leads to godliness, (Galatians 5:22-23) I will find my life becoming a testimony to the results of living according to my sinful nature.  

The lust of my flesh will rule me, dissension and quarreling will follow me, and my own selfish ambition will lead me away from the path the Lord has prepared for me. (Galatians 5:19-20) Not surprisingly, I'll sense a pulling away from God that is really just me turning away from Him.

Denying the lordship of Christ in my life will result in a loss of the blessings God has stored up for me.  (Ephesians 1:3Deuteronomy 11:26-28)


There is much I allow in my life that can turn into a thorn in my side and a snare to my life.  Instead of ignoring such dangers, I would be wise to remove temptation that leads to sin, resist the urge to make my own plans, and constantly be on the lookout for that which can become an idol.  In these ways I'll remove that which can lead me away from Christ and take advantage of the opportunity He's given me to crucify these dangers on the life-giving cross.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will grasp hold of the indwelling power that Jesus gives me over sin.

When do I become comfortable with sin, entertaining temptation as if it were my friend?

How do I let things or people come between me and Jesus? 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment