The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Tend

"The lamps on the pure gold lampstand before the LORD must be tended continually.
This bread is to be set out before the LORD regularly,
Sabbath after Sabbath,
on behalf of the Israelites,
as a lasting covenant.
It belongs to Aaron and his sons,
who are to eat it in the sanctuary area,
because it is a most holy part of their perpetual
share of the food offerings presented to the LORD."
Leviticus 24:4, 8-9



The flame flickered in the afternoon breeze beneath the canopy of evergreen and River Birch trees growing beside the peaceful, mountain-fed stream.  Fueled by an underground methane seep, the blaze perpetually burns at a local park near my childhood home.   In fact, so unique is this wonder that the recreational area bears the name, "Flaming Geyser."

While no one had to tend to this naturally occurring phenomena in order to keep the flame burning, it was a different story in the temple of the Lord.  Aaron and all his ancestors for generations to come were given the task to tend to the oil lamps in the temple.  It was God's intention that these flames continually burn as a symbol of His constant presence with His people.

Even though there no longer remains a requirement to perform such tasks, this section of God's Word does give much insight into areas to which I must constantly tend.

Light

My husband had known him for years so the news came as quite a surprise.  I couldn't believe the words that my spouse was saying.  "He said he's been a believer since childhood."  We thought it strange that he never spoke of his faith.  In fact, by observing his life I would have never known he had entered into such a divine relationship.

Living in the culture in which I now find myself, it's easy to blend in and look like everyone else.  Even more troubling is the fact that my thought patterns can easily follow worldly beliefs that are rooted in selfish principles and run counter to God's ways.  As a follower of Christ, I am called to live in the world but not be of it; to guard against being polluted by it's destructive ways.  (Romans 12:2, John 15:19)

As such, it is my job to tend to the light of Jesus which flames within myself and sheds light on a darkened world.  As Jesus said, people do not, "light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." (Matthew 5:14-16)  The light of Jesus must be central to my life, providing the foundation for everything I do, say and think.  

Similarly, the Word of God must be the filter through which everything flows, sifting out all that does not line up with His standard.  When I strive to root out all that conflicts with God, what will be left is that which will stand as a beacon to the darkness around me.

Consequently, when a neighbor is at the end of her rope and has nowhere left to turn, she knows she can come to the one who will tell her the truth in love.  Or when there are those who are caught up in the stream of cultural Christianity, I may be the only wall they find themselves running into.  Or, if a friend thinks all hope is gone, she can follow the light that leads her out of the pit.

In order to live a life true to the One who gave His life for me, it is important that I let His light shine in the world around me.

Bread

My husband's friend walked through our front door and followed the scent of freshly baked bread that led him into our kitchen.  He couldn't help himself; he had to taste the heavenly treat.  It is hard to resist homemade bread that is hot out of the oven.

While it's been said that bread is the staff of life, there is something more vital to my existence to which I must cling:  Jesus.  He even called Himself the "Bread of Life." (John 6:35)  He is all I ever need to satisfy that inner longing within me, or to give me that sense of purpose that makes my life meaningful, or to provide the necessities of life.  Jesus is to be my everything.

Unfortunately, I don't always live my life as if this were true.  Instead, I turn to other pursuits, people or possessions that I think will satisfy.  It could be an important career, a loving relationship, or a critical cause.  While none of these are wrong in and of themselves, if it's where I turn to for a kind of salvation, or sense of satisfaction, I may be off base.

Jesus said that as I live my life, it is like He is the vine and I am the branches.  If I stick close to Him, staying connected to Him as my source of all good things, I will bear much fruit.  If, however, I choose to separate from Him or even just let myself drift away, nothing I do in life will matter one iota in eternity.  In the scheme of things, it'll be like I'm spinning my wheels. (John 15:5-8)

In order to live a life true to the One who gave His life for me, it is important that Jesus is my only source of sustenance.

Name

"Jesus Christ!"   It's hard to live in a world that uses the name of my Savior as a curse word.  Even though I may not go to such extremes to blaspheme the name of the Lord, there are ways I'm at risk of dishonoring God in a world that doesn't know Him.

Sometimes I might be tempted to use God or His Word in an effort to give weight to my argument.  After all, who's going to argue with me if I say that God wants me to do this or that?  While there are times I may be prompted to pass a message on to another or perform a certain deed, I better not fabricate this kind of scenario in order to benefit myself.

Other times I could use common sayings that seem so harmless but really bring dishonor to God's holy name.  Saying, "Oh, my God!" or "For the love of God!" as an expression of shock or frustration brings disgrace to the name of the One who I must strive to uphold in every way.

There are even times when I may add God's name to an oath in order to give clout to my promise.  Instead, it would be wise to simply let my words stand for themselves so I don't put myself at risk of bringing dishonor to His name. (Matthew 5:33-37)

In order to live a life true to the One who gave His life for me, it is important that I always strive to honor His name in every way.


While Aaron and his ancestors were tasked with many jobs which helped keep God's continual presence always at the forefront of the minds of the people, there are tasks to which I must also cultivate.  I would be wise to let my light shine before men, seek Jesus as my only source of sustenance, and strive to honor God in everything I do.  It is then that I will be tending to that which is ultimately of the greatest importance.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep God at the forefront of my mind.

When do I seek sustenance and comfort from other sources?

How am I at risk of dishonoring God in the way I speak or conduct business? 

No comments:

Post a Comment