The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Ambassador

"The LORD said to Moses,
'Speak to the Israelites and say to them:
I am the LORD your God.
You must not do as they do in Egypt,
where you used to live,
and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan,
where I am bringing you.
Do not follow their practices.
You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees.
I am the LORD your God.
Keep my decrees and laws,
for the person who obeys them will live by them.
I am the LORD.'"
Leviticus 18:1-5


Upon arrival in our new host country, my husband and I were required to take a class where we learned the importance of setting a good example for those who were watching us.  It was also important, as members of the U.S. Armed Forces, that we do not draw attention to ourselves, making us an easy target for terrorism.  As American citizens, we were no longer concerned with how our behavior influenced our own reputation, but as long as we lived in this foreign country, we were representatives of America.  Everything we did reflected upon our home nation.

In the same way, I belong to the Lord through faith in Jesus Christ.  As such, this world is not my home. (1 Corinthians 5:1-5) Instead, I have been placed in this foreign land with a mission.  Part of that purpose is that I represent the Lord and His Gospel. (2 Corinthians 5:20)  Consequently, my standards are high, not because I am better than anyone else or special in some way.  Instead, much is expected from me and my behavior because everything I do, every word I speak, and every place I visit is a reflection upon the One who called me.  (Isaiah 43:1, John 15:16)  Therefore, there are some things I must keep in mind.

Don't Go Back

Once I learned the new way, there was no reason to go back to my old habits.  Even though there was something pleasant about sitting in my comfortable chair positioned near the window of my bedroom, using the computer to record my thoughts and meditations far surpassed the joy of writing by hand with pen and paper.  When my family bought our first computer all those years ago, the convenience and efficiency of composing using word processing software soon replaced the archaic way of writing.

In a similar way, I am a new creation in Christ Jesus.  The old way of doing things is gone, replaced by the new.  (2 Corinthians 5:17)  Instead of being destined to live in my sinful ways, I now I able to overcome, stepping into the power God's grace and mercy provides to resist temptation and desire that which pleases God. (1 Corinthians 10:13,Romans 8:2, 31,Hebrews 4:16)

In the place of relying on my own understanding, making a list of pros and cons in order to decide which path I should take, God has given me the discernment of His indwelling Holy Spirit to guide me in the way of righteousness. (John 16:13-14, Romans 8:14, Proverbs 3:5-6)

While my success or failure used to depend upon my own abilities and effort, as a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, I now rely on His grace to both give me the power to endure all things but also to equip me to accomplish the mission He lays before me.  (2 Corinthians 12:9)

I am called to live differently than I did before I knew the power of His saving grace.  (2 Corinthians 10:3-5)  Instead of relying on my old way of doing things; going back to the habits that used to comfort me, the pastimes that once brought me pleasure, or the worldly wisdom that at one time seemed so clever, I am now called into a new way that honors God.

Since I belong to God through faith in Jesus Christ, I must never go back to the ways I knew before Christ.  

Don't Give In

She said it was okay to fudge the numbers on the form.  I knew the tax accountant professed Christ as her Savior so I was tempted to follow her advice.  The discomfort I felt in the pit of my stomach, however, warned me against doing things her way.  Instead, I sought the Lord's guidance and He reminded me of how His love rejoices in the truth. (1 Corinthians 13:6)  Therefore, I decided to take a stand for what is right, recording the accurate figures and letting God provide for the exorbitant taxes I may end up paying.

I will find people within the body of Christ who are willing to compromise the values and standards set down by a holy God.  It is easy to get caught up in following suit in order to fit in or so that I will feel comfortable.  Instead, I would be wise to surround myself with those who encourage me to live a life worthy of the One who gave His life for me.  (Philippians 1:27, 1 Corinthians 15:33, Psalm 1:1-3)

While I may be tempted to buy into whatever a brother or sister is selling, I must always compare a message to what I find in God's Word.  Just because something sounds good does not mean it is godly.  Similarly, I must never take another's word simply because they profess Christ as Savior.  Instead, I would be wise to judge them by their fruit to know if the message is from God, or if it simply appeals to my sin nature. (Matthew 7:15-17)

I may want to leave behind my life of financial struggle so I easily accept it when I hear that God wants me to live a life of luxury.  If I am discerning, however, God's Spirit will remind me how difficult it is to serve God with the tempting lure of worldly riches tethering me down.  (Matthew 19:23-24)

It is also easy for me to accept when a brother or sister tells me how God wants me to be happy.  Since I desire to feel fulfilled in a life virtually free from struggles, I readily believe.  When I go to God seeking the truth, however, I find that it is my character that most concerns Him.  Therefore, I learn to cherish the difficulties, knowing that God is using the ups and downs in life to refine me and mold me into the shape He desires for me. (Romans 5:3-5)

There are many messages floating around the body of Christ which do not line up with His Word.  If I am to stand firm in the truth that I've been taught, it is important that I don't blindly follow the latest Pied Piper who spouts their own brand of christianity. (1 Corinthians 16:13)  Instead, I would be wise to stick closely to the lessons taught by Christ, adhering only to His Gospel.

Since I belong to God through faith in Jesus Christ, I must never give in to the deceptive teachings being disguised as truth.

Don't Give Up

Why am I doing this?  Are these kids even hearing any of the lessons I'm teaching?  Their attitudes seem to be getting worse, not better.  Maybe I should just give up; what's the use?  

These are some of the thoughts that used to float through my mind during a hard day of teaching neighborhood children in the free afterschool program ministry my family used to run out of our home.  When my daughters and I focused on the outward behavior of the children, we were often tempted to quit.  When we redirected our focus on God and His purposes, however, we found our attitudes quickly improved.

It is easy to want to throw in the towel when I expect to see results or some kind of fruit from my labor in the Lord.  Most times, however, God wants me to be faithful to the calling He has placed on my life, leaving the outcome in His hands.

Therefore, I can learn to love God and His ways, seeking to walk with Him and please Him above all things. When I live my life according to His Word, I can prepare myself for attack or disappointment, knowing that I don't belong to the world in which I live.  (John 15:19) Then, when persecution comes, I will not feel discouraged.  Or, when the inevitable ridicule rears it's ugly head, I won't be surprised.  Or, when I fail to see anything good coming out of my efforts, I'll keep true to my calling. 

Since I belong to God through faith in Jesus Christ, I must never give up on the mission God has placed in my life.


God has placed a high standard for those who belong to Him.  Lest I begin to think too highly of myself, I must remember this is not because I'm more special than others or that I'm somehow better.  Instead, this expectation is so that I will reflect well upon the One whose name I am so closely identified to.  For this reason, I must never go back to my old ways, resist the urge to compromise the Truth, and stand firm in the mission God has called me to complete.  In these ways I will represent the holiness of God to a world that expects very little from us.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember Who I represent.

When do I easily give in when a friend lowers her principles?

How do I give up when the going gets tough?

No comments:

Post a Comment