The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, December 6, 2013

Aliens

"The land must not be sold permanently,
because the land is mine
and you reside in my land as foreigners and strangers.
Throughout the land that you hold as a possession,
you must provide for the redemption of the land."
Leviticus 25:23-24



It used to be said that purchasing land was one of the most solid investments one could make.  It couldn't be stolen, it's value almost always increased, and it's always worth something.  Unfortunately, many have found out the hard way how vulnerable any kind of real estate investment can be in a fluctuating market.

While investing in land may not be the wisest of ventures in this day and age, especially in the short term, devoting my time, attention and talents into this temporary world may be even riskier.  Jesus taught that an earthly investment is uncertain while kingdom ones are sound.  Whichever I choose, however, I will find that my heart will be rooted in that asset. (Matthew 6:19-21

Therefore, I would be wise to do as He taught and live as an alien here in this world that will soon pass away.  If all that I sink my teeth into is based on what I can see, feel, taste and hear, then I am making a foolish investment.  As a follower of Christ, I am called to live as one who doesn't belong here.

Roots

When planting a tree, it is important to dig the hole at least twice the size of the root ball.  Surprisingly, it is also wise to refill the hole with the same dirt as the surrounding land.  If I attempt to add mulch and all sorts of additives to the soil, the roots may prefer the "good" dirt and not reach out into the adjacent earth, giving the tree a poor chance at developing a solid, wide-spread root system.

It is vital to the health of my faith that I develop a healthy root-system as well.  In the same way that a tree needs the right kind of soil in order to thrive, I need to grow deeply in my relationship with Christ Jesus for my faith to develop soundly.  (Colossians 2:6-7)  Everything I can base my life upon may seem good and beneficial, but only Jesus will give me a strong foundation.

It may seem wise to live a life focused on doing good for others, for example, living by the principle of paying it forward, but only the love of Christ flowing through me will last and ultimately make a real difference in this dark world. (1 John 4:19, 1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

I may also be tempted to base my life on the idea that I can achieve whatever I believe is possible.  While this may take me to great heights, all my successes will mean nothing in eternity if I am not connected to Jesus and living in obedience to His will.  (John 15:5)

Living my life with the intention of keeping it simple, avoiding the complications of modern technology and common areas of temptation may look like a good way to live a deep and meaningful life, but if I never seek to know God more, I will never know the best that He has planned for my life. (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

To live as an alien while here on earth, I must grow deep roots in the truth found in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Identity

When I was a high school student, my family hosted an exchange student from Japan.  This delightful young woman lived in our home, participated in family meals and activities, and joined in with most of our daily routine.  In this way, she learned much about American culture.  

No matter how much she was immersed in our way of living, however, our friend from a foreign country never lost the distinct features of her own traditions.  She told me later that if she didn't like the food, for instance, she would say she wasn't hungry in order to keep from hurting our feelings.  Furthermore, she attended church with us but never accepted Jesus as her own Savior.  She was more of an observer, learning but never taking on our beliefs, traditions and ways as her own.

This is how I am to be while living in this foreign land that is the world.  My real home is heaven and I must strive to retain the distinct qualities consistent with God's kingdom.  Jesus said His people are to be easily identified by the way we love one another (John 13:35) and by the fruit that is produced in our lives (Matthew 7:20).

As an alien living in a foreign culture, then, I must guard against becoming just like those who are rooted in this world. (Romans 12:2) It is easy to begin to take on the attitudes, world views and beliefs of those who live around me.  I am inundated with worldly ways and it is only possible to stay pure if I counteract them with the truth of God's Word.  This will take an intentional effort to saturate my mind with the Holy scripture, taking every thought captive to Christ, bringing my attitudes in line with that which pleases God. (2 Corinthians 10:5)

To live as an alien while here on earth, my identity must be fixed in Christ.

Focus

I struggled to keep my balance as I lifted my left foot off the floor while reaching forward with my hands, attempting to mimic the Warrior III pose my instructor perfectly demonstrated.  As I tried to stay firm in my stance during this PiYo class (a combination of Pilates and Yoga), I heard the voice of my teacher advise me to pick a spot on the floor on which to focus while keeping my core strong.  Surprisingly, this simple technique did the trick and my wobbling stopped as I was able to stand firmly on one foot.

While my walk with Jesus is not quite like taking an exercise class, I can utilize the same technique learned from my teacher.  Keeping my eyes focused on Jesus will center me in the truth.  (Hebrews 12:2)  In this way, I will not waver in my faith, keeping firmly to what I know to be true even when the winds around me are blowing and the alternate beliefs are tempting me to stray.  (James 1:5-8)

To live as an alien while here on earth, I must be focused on Christ as my only hope.


I live in a place that is not conducive to godly living.  Therefore, I am called not to conform to what I observe around me, but to live as one who's not from around here.  In order to stay pure as a foreigner, I will need to grow strong roots in Christ, keep my identity fixed in Christ, and home in on Christ as the Author and Perfecter of my faith.  When I exercise these practices, I will find myself living as an alien in a foreign land.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep rooted in Christ instead of everything else that sounds good to me.

When am I most at risk for taking on the identity of the foreign land in which I live?

How do I focus on other things or people instead of Christ?  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment