The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Attitude of Gratitude

"Now the people complained about their hardships
in the hearing of the LORD,
and when he heard them
his anger was aroused.
Then fire from the LORD burned among them
and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp."
Numbers 11:1



Christmas is the time of year when hearts turn toward giving and we are more inclined to practice generosity, acts of kindness, and hospitality.  Unfortunately, it is also a time when a spirit of discontent can rise up as I focus on all the things I don't have but would like to acquire.

The Israelites possessed this same spirit of discontent and ingratitude, inciting the fierce anger of the Lord.  What was it about their attitudes that evoked such a response from our patient and generous God?

God's people were focused more on the hardships than on the blessings, on what was missing than on what was provided, and on how it could be better than on how good it already was.    In other words, they craved more than what God had provided, thus sending Him the message that His provision was not enough.  As a result, they completely missed the chance to acknowledge the miracle of God's deliverance and subsequent provision and refused to trust God in His continuing, sovereign plan.

I'm not so different.  I complain about my health, or my finances, or my sorry state, pointing out all the things that I think are wrong instead of noticing everything that is right.  God is displeased with my negative eyes that betray my lack of thankfulness to my Father who is faithful to give me all that I need.  (Philippians 4:19, Matthew 6:32)

This Christmas, I want to take the message of Isaiah 43:18-19 to heart, leaving behind my low expectations based on my past experiences and instead look forward with gleeful anticipation to all that I believe God will do.  If I look, I will see His hand at work all around me, providing abundant blessings that I didn't expect. 

Instead of feeling sorry for myself for what I don't have, I choose to feel abundantly blessed for what I do have.  Everything I possess comes from God, so an attitude of gratitude is one that continually gives thanks to Him for His extravagant goodness.

As if to prove the point, God sent the gift of His precious Son as evidence of His abundant blessing upon me.   Jesus is the best example of God's great love for me and is the most extravagant gift of all. (Romans 5:8, Matthew 1:21)   

No comments:

Post a Comment