The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, December 9, 2013

No Longer a Slave

"I am the LORD your God,
who brought you out of the land of Egypt
so you would no longer be their slaves.
I broke the yoke of slavery from your neck
so you can walk with your heads held high."
Leviticus 26:13



She was deeply ingrained in her ways, deceived into thinking the relationship she shared with her partner was marriage.  Her sister, however, loved her enough to share the truth of God's Word with the lesbian woman.  Once she accepted the truth; that God considers homosexuality as an affront to His holy nature (Leviticus 18:22Romans 1:26-27), she knew she had a decision to make.  Either she could go on in her current lifestyle, defying God's holy standard, or she could turn away from her sinful ways in agreement with the God who sent His Son to die for her so she would be able to live His way.

This woman decided to repent of the sin that had kept her in a vice grip for all those years.  When she did, she accepted the freedom offered through the blood of Christ.  His perfect sacrifice made it possible for her to be free from the sin that had misled her for all that time.  Now that she had tasted the Lord, she could see that He is good.  (Psalm 34:8)

It is only through the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross that I am able to repent of my sins and be forgiven by a holy God. (Hebrews 9:22, Romans 6:6-7)  Instead of having no other choice but to live in a way that offends God, I have the power through His blood to live a life pleasing to Him.  

Even though I've never known the oppression of slavery like the Israelites did, I do know what it means to be exploited by another master: Sin.  In the same way that God delivered the Israelites out of Egypt and into freedom, He also has delivered me out of the oppression of sin. (John 8:34-36)  What does this mean for me?

Broke the Yoke

Sin made the law necessary.  Before sin entered the earth, life was fairly straight-forward and easy.  At that time, Adam and Eve lived in harmony with God and there was only one rule:  Do not eat the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil that is found in the center of the garden.  (Genesis 2:16-17)

Once Eve was tempted, however, and both she and her husband gave in to the serpent's suggestion, shattering their fellowship with God as the juice of the forbidden fruit ran down their chins, the law became necessary.  Now that sin was a reality, a chasm formed between God and the man He created in His image.  The law was what made that uncrossable abyss created by sin painfully obvious.  Man was doomed to be constantly aware of his sinful nature by his inability to reach God's high standard.  

This realization is like a heavy yoke upon His people.  Like the whip of the impossible-to-please task master upon the backs of the Israelite, the law weighs me down as it persistently reminds me of my shortcomings.  Knowing I can never do enough to be free from condemnation fills me with a sense of hopelessness.

Jesus, however, set me free from the burden of earning my salvation through obedience to the law. (Romans 8:1) Instead of being judged by how well I comply, I have a Redeemer who has bought my salvation from God's judgment with His blood.  (Ephesians 1:7)  He has set me free from the burden of the heavy yoke of the law. Now, through faith in Christ Jesus, I am free to live in relationship with Him as He leads me down the path of righteousness.  (Matthew 11:28-30)

Jesus Christ broke the heavy yoke the law placed across my shoulders, freeing me to honor Him by living in tandem with His Spirit.  (Galatians 5:16-18)

Changed Identity

I could hardly recognize the man I first met out on the street.  When he was homeless, he stayed bent over in shame, weighed down by his difficulties and low position.  Once he got back on his feet, however, his whole demeanor changed as he gratefully took on the humble job offered to him.  As the man began to earn a paycheck, his respect for himself returned.  Now, instead of hunching over, he held his head high.

In the same way that my friend's demeanor reflected the way he felt about himself, I find a similar transformation take place.  Before I knew Christ, I thought my worth was based solely on my own effort or station in life. Consequently, I either thought of myself as better than I was, or beat myself up for my frailties.  Either way, my self-image was warped. Once I accepted the free gift of salvation Jesus offered, however, I became a new creation. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

This means I no longer need be held down by my sin.  Since I am free from both the bondage of sin as well as the requirement to follow the law in order to earn my way into God's graces, I can walk as a precious child of the King.  (1 John 3:1)

When I feel like a failure, then, constantly burdened by my own sinful bankruptcy, I can remember I am rich in Christ. As a daughter of the King, I can begin to see myself as a princess, treating myself as such.

For the times when I think I will never get it right, continuing down the same destructive path again and again, I can remember the strength of God's indwelling Spirit that empowers me to choose the way of righteousness.

Even when I don't feel good about myself, blinded of my true identity by doubt and fear, I can remember that Jesus did not go through such punishment in dying on the cross so I would continue to irrationally beat myself down.  Instead, He died so that I can live a life of confidence, compassion and right thinking.  (2 Timothy 1:7)

Jesus Christ changed my identity from a sinner doomed to Hell to a sinner saved by grace who can boldly approach the throne of God to receive all the grace and mercy I need to get through each day.  (Hebrews 4:16)


I cannot imagine the horrors of living under the heavy hand of slavery.  Even though I've never felt the cruel sting of a master's whip upon my back, I do know something about oppression.  Sin is a harsh taskmaster who burdens me to live a life apart from God.  His love, however, perfectly shown in the sacrifice of His sinless Son, set me free by breaking the heavy yoke of the law.  Now I can walk with my head held high as a princess who knows her sins are forgiven.  It is true; through faith in Christ I am no longer a slave to sin.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can live like I'm free from sin.

When do I continue in sin as if I have no power over it?

How am I showing my contempt for myself in the way I live?     

No comments:

Post a Comment