The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Blessing on God's People

"The LORD said to Moses,
'Tell Aaron and his sons,
This is how you are to bless the Israelites.
Say to them:

""The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace.""

So they will put my name on the Israelites,
and I will bless them.'"
Numbers 6:22-27



There were dozens of kids that flowed through our house when my family ran a free afterschool program ministry. Many neighborhood children felt comfortable in our home.  Even though we welcomed them with open arms, there was not one who was allowed to open our refrigerator or use something from one of our closets.  Only those who were a part of the family were extended those privileges.

When I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior, I entered into a familial relationship with the Creator of all things.  As part of His family, I have been blessed by my Father in ways unbelievers have not.

Favor and Protection

It was easy driving despite the heavy snowfall.  Even though the white stuff was piling up quickly, I was able to negotiate the road with no trouble, thanks to the plow that cleared the way ahead of me.  There's no doubt about it, the best place to be while driving in a snowstorm is behind a snow plow.

This reminds me of the favor of God.  When I am wholeheartedly devoted to Him, He makes the way clear for me. (Proverbs 3:5-6) Even the things that seem like obstacles or difficulties are transformed into good things when I incline my heart toward God and His purposes.  (Romans 8:28)  The Lord doesn't stop there, however.  For those who belong to Him through faith in Christ Jesus, He keeps close, protecting and guiding every step of the way.  (Psalm 37:23)

With such benefits as these, it would be easy to think I somehow deserve everything I get or that, in the words of a song from the 1965 classic The Sound of Music,  "I must have done something good."  Instead, God lavishes His favor and protection on those who have called upon the name of Jesus Christ because of His great love.  If only I could fathom just how deep is this love. (Ephesians 3:18)

When I see the provision of His mighty hand at the hour of most desperate need, I see evidence of this love.  Or when I experience the opening of doors before me, as if by magic, I know of His love.  Or when I walk boldly to His throne to receive all the mercy and grace I need to stand strong in my faith, I have seen His love. (Hebrews 4:16)

God freely gives the blessing of His favor and protection to those who trust in Christ Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Presence and Grace

He stands at the door knocking.  Many are too busy to even hear the light rapping on the door of their heart.  Some are even diligently working to further the name of the One who is seeking entrance. More are distracted by all the responsibilities piling up around them, drawing their attention away. Still, He knocks.  The Lord Jesus Christ only enters into a life when He is invited. (Revelation 3:20)

Perhaps I have taken that first step and accepted God's free gift of salvation that comes through faith in Christ.  (John 3:16)  If I never go further than that, though, I miss out on much of the blessing He has for me.  You see, the Lord wants nothing more than to share in every aspect of my life.  As His child, this is one of the benefits that comes with being a part of His family.  It is up to me, however, to let Him in.

When I open up my heart to the Lord, allowing Him access to the inner parts of my life, I will enjoy the intimacy of His constant presence.  (Psalm 139)  Even though He is always there, my insistence on keeping my old sinful ways can cast a shadow on His presence, blocking the refreshment that comes from Him.  (1 John 1:5-10Acts 3:19-20)  Turning away from the sin that so easily entangles, however, will result in the blood of Jesus to flow over my sins, setting me back into the Light where I can enjoy the One who loves me best.  

There is no doubt that God loves me.  He proved His great love for me by sending His beloved Son to die in my place.  (Romans 5:8, John 15:13)  The only thing that remains, then, is for me to enter into His loving company, partaking of the relationship He is so hungry to share with me.  He loves to take part in my life and give me good things.  (Luke 11:13)  When I delight in Him as He does in me, He will change my desires and give me all sorts of things I don't deserve. (Psalm 37:4)

I will find a loving family all around that cares enough to lend a helping hand. (Galatians 6:10)  I will also be comforted in ways I could never imagine by the Father of compassion. (1 Corinthians 1:3-4)  Furthermore, I'll enjoy a nearness to my Father as I humble myself before Him, and He will bring rich significance to my once empty life.  (James 4:8-10)

God wants to be with me as His child through faith in Jesus Christ and enjoys giving me things I don't deserve.

Acceptance and Peace

She waited in agony for several weeks.  When she was getting to the end of her rope, my daughter came to me near tears saying, "I'm worried about the test.  Everyone else has already heard the results but I haven't received any news."  At that moment, her sister walked into the room and handed her an envelope.  The mail carrier had just delivered the news that my oldest daughter had passed the state board exam and was now approved to practice as a licensed cosmetologist.

In the same way my daughter felt relief at her acceptance into her chosen profession, I have received a similar gift through faith in Jesus Christ.  The difference, however, is that there is nothing I have done to receive this approval from the Lord. He expects perfection and I am far from reaching that standard. (Romans 3:23

Graciously, Jesus took the penalty for my sin when He died on the cross, making my faith in Him all that is necessary to receive God's approval. (Romans 6:23)  I am then invited into His family, approved because of the blood of Jesus that makes me appear as white as snow. (1 John 3:1, Isaiah 1:18)

I don't have to change before I can receive this acceptance into God's family.  There exists no requirement that I get my life together before I'll be allowed in.  It is not necessary for me to clean up and get myself right before I can receive this free gift of salvation.  Instead, I am accepted as is; simply on the basis of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.  When He willingly gave His life, He made a way for me to be received just as I am. (John 10:18, Romans 5:8)

This gives me peace with God.  I no longer am considered His enemy because of my sin.  Now, I can live in harmony with Him, and experience a quiet calm in my heart as I know my place in His family.  There is nothing that can steal that quiet confidence that comes from knowing that God has my back.  (Psalm 139:5, Romans 8:31)

Through faith in Jesus Christ, I have been accepted just as I am and now enjoy a peace I never before knew.


As a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, I receive a blessing that is reserved by the Lord for His people.  He shows His favor and protection, is pleased to be with me and give me what I don't deserve, and to accept me as is, resulting in peace that can't be understood.  In these ways, I have received the blessing that comes to God's people.  


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can live as one who was bought at a price.

When do I push God out of my life, even though He desires to be with me every moment of the day?

How do I live as if I'm a reject?    

No comments:

Post a Comment