The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Own Responsibility

"Then the LORD said to Moses,
'Call forward the tribe of Levi,
and present them to Aaron 
the priest to serve as his assistants.
They will serve Aaron and the whole community,
performing their sacred duties in
and around the Tabernacle.
They will also maintain all the furnishings of the sacred tent,
serving in the Tabernacle on behalf of all the Israelites.
Assign the Levites to Aaron and his sons.
They have been given from among all the people
of Israel to serve as their assistants.'"
Numbers 3:5-9



Everyone had a designated spot to pitch their tent.  Each tribe was assigned a specific area around the Tabernacle to establish camp.  Whenever the Israelites moved to a new location, the Tabernacle would form the frame of reference for their set-up.  The Levites were a bit different, however.  Instead of being assigned a spot some distance from the Tent of Meeting, each son of Aaron and their families were given an area directly surround the Tabernacle as their own, and Moses and the priests lived on the east side. (Numbers 2-3)  

Not only did the Levites live in close proximity to the Tabernacle, but they also were given specific jobs to do in service to the Tent of Meeting based on which family into which they were born.  It makes me think of the way God has given each of His children specific gifts and then called us to use them to edify the body of Christ.  In the same way that members of the tribe of Levi were assigned certain areas of responsibility, I've been given a specific job to do.

Duty

It is like a well-oiled machine.  Soldiers scurry around, each doing their particular job, accomplishing the mission in no time.  When an Army unit is deployed to carry out a certain job, like firing artillery, each member of the unit knows exactly what to do.  Every soldier has been trained in overall conduct, but also in their specific area of expertise.  Each carries a level of responsibility to do what they are trained to do as part of the greater mission. If one soldier fails, the whole unit is at risk of failing.

In a similar way, I am a part of a greater body.  It is not only to myself and my family to whom I am accountable.  Once I pledge to follow Christ, I become part of a greater purpose carried out by the family of God.  With the gift of the Holy Spirit given to each believer (Acts 2:38) comes a specific area of expertise, so to speak.  One may be equipped to serve, while another to teach.  Some are given the ability to discern between that which is from God and that which is not, while others know just when to give an encouraging word and what will best bolster another's faith.  

In the same way each soldier is expected to carry out their duty in the way they've been trained, I'm expected to do what God's Spirit has specifically enabled me to do. (1 Corinthians 12:27)  If I don't do my part, the body of Christ as a whole will suffer.

It is easy to feel inadequate to carry out the function that has been assigned to me.  Like Moses, I can easily cite all kinds of reasons why I can't do my part. (Exodus 4:10-12) Other times, I would rather do what I see others doing.  Then there are times when I simply don't want to bother.  Whatever the excuse, it is my responsibility to play the role I've been appointed to fulfill.

I have been given a duty to use the gift given through God's indwelling Spirit to profit the body of Christ.

Poach

My friend's husband was inventorying stock as part of his job.  The company he works for is hired to count and accurately record current supply levels of other retail businesses.  When the employees at a certain establishment observed his knowledge of the unique parts found in their auto supply store, the manager approached him and asked him to apply to his company.  

While I'm not here to debate whether poaching is or is not an ethical business practice, it does remind me of something discouraging that takes place in the body of Christ.  God is clear that He has given each of us certain positions to fill in the body of Christ.  When I attempt to take over another's position, I am stealing their job.

As a mother, I am used to doing what needs to be done.  If I see an area that is lacking, then, I tend to jump in and complete the job.  When I take this same approach and apply it to the body of Christ, however, in my zeal to help, I could be doing a job that someone else is called to do.  While we can all pitch in and help to accomplish specific missions, each of us is assigned a certain spot.  It is important that I don't unknowingly discourage someone else from stepping out in faith by filling their position.

When I drive in heavy traffic, I often think about how much I trust the drivers around me to stay in their own lanes.  When someone recklessly veers across the freeway, ignoring the specific lanes, it endangers us all.  In the same way, I must be careful to stay in my lane, doing only what I am called to do.  If I keep my attention on the job at hand, I will stay plenty busy.  If my eye wanders to what I'd rather do or to something I think needs to be done, I'm getting out of my area of responsibility and into someone else's.

It is important that I use my own specific gift given through God's indwelling Spirit to profit the body of Christ.

Faith

She labored through four years of college to earn her undergraduate degree.  After taking the grueling admissions test, she applied to medical school.  Now, my friend's training really begins as she learns all basics of medicine during medical school.  Her preparation will not be finished once she graduates, however, because she will still need to complete at least 3 years of a residency where she will work in a hospital setting under senior residents and attending physicians.  It takes years of training to become a medical doctor.

In contrast, I need no training to utilize my gifts.  Instead, the Holy Spirit supernaturally equips me to carry out the function He designed for me to fulfill.  It is not based on my naturally abilities or learned techniques to do what I am purposed to do to build up the body of Christ.  Rather, my state of readiness is found in the way God has empowered me to function.

This is not to say I won't need to prepare to teach a class if my gift is teaching, or that I won't need to work hard when serving others if I've been blessed with the gift of service.  Instead, it means I am uniquely equipped to do what God has called me to do.  There is no special training I must go through before I can step into the role God has prepared for me.

Consequently, I really have no excuse to not do my part.  The only thing keeping me from moving forward is faith.  There is no way that I can please God without it, and I can't look beyond myself if I don't have it.  Faith is what drives me forward into the darkness of the unknown where Jesus dwells.  

If I am waiting to believe in myself before I go forward, I'll be delayed a long time.  Instead, I must blindly walk toward what God is calling me to do, trusting that He has already given me what I need to accomplish the mission at hand.  Out on the end of a limb is a scary place to be, but it is the only place where I can find Christ!  He doesn't dwell in the safe, comfortable places, but in the deep waters where I can't touch the bottom.  Then, as I'm floundering around, I'll find that His grace is enough to get me through.  (2 Corinthians 12:9)

In order to use the gifts given to me through God's indwelling Spirit, I will need to step forward in faith.  


The Lord is a God of order.  Not surprisingly, then, He has created a place for each of His children to serve in His family.  In order for the body of Christ to function as He intended, however, I will need to do my part, stay in my lane, and step out in faith.  When I purposefully strive to follow these guidelines, I will find I am fulfilling my own responsibility.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my focus on what God has called me to do.

When am I afraid to step forward in faith because I can't picture myself doing what God has already equipped me to do?

How do I sometimes try to do what needs to be done instead of asking myself if this is truly my own responsibility?

No comments:

Post a Comment