The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Holiness of God

"The LORD gave these instructions to Moses:
'Command the people of Israel to remove from the camp
anyone who has a skin disease or a discharge,
or who has become ceremonially unclean by 
touching a dead person.
This command applies to men and women alike.
Remove them so they will not defile the camp in which
I live among them.'"
Numbers 5:1-3



Completely conquer the inhabiting peoples.
Make no treaties with these nations.
Show no mercy to these people groups.
Don't intermarry with these foreigners.
Destroy religious artifacts and altars of these nations.

God gave this list of instructions to His people before they entered into the land He had promised them but which was inhabited by seven powerful and mighty nations.  When God gave these commands, it was with the intention that His chosen people were to remain pure and true to Him, not because they were special in and of themselves.  Instead, they were only considered to be exceptional because the Lord had chosen them.  (Deuteronomy 7:1-6)

I'm sure the Israelites were not so different from me, sometimes thinking there was something special in themselves that stood out, grabbing God's attention and motivating Him to choose them as His own.  To make it perfectly clear, though, God reminded His people that He had chosen them simply because He loved them and that He had promised Abraham, Isaac and Jacob that He would. (Deuteronomy 7:7-11)

Getting back to God's insistence on purity, I have to ask, Why was it so important that God's people be pure?  He didn't want them to be contaminated by disease, foreign gods or anything unclean.  Adherence to such rules could easily make them think they were better than all other peoples.  This, however, was not the intention.  Instead, God wanted His people to practice purity because He as their God, and now as mine, is holy.

Higher

They thought they had God all figured out.  They told Job all about the One who created them from nothing.  Job's friends put the suffering man on trial, treating him like a criminal and trying to force a confession out of him.  Instead of comforting him, they found themselves defending God and lecturing Job on the reasons for what they saw as punishment.

It wasn't long before God responded.  When He did, there was no doubt as to Who was supreme and sovereign.  He asked such questions as, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?" (Job 38:4) and "Have you visited the storehouses of snow or seen the storehouses of hail?" (v 22)  The Lord drilled Job with queries like, "Is it your wisdom that makes the hawks soar or spread its wings toward the South?" (Job 39:26)  Job and his friends were definitely put in their rightful place and they came away humbled.

God's ways are much higher than mine.  (Isaiah 55:8-9)  I cannot expect to understand or even fathom His purposes.  Therefore, I must trust Him with my life, knowing that His plan is best yet realizing that I may not comprehend why He is leading me down a certain path.  Instead, it is my job to follow, leaving the "why" and the "how" up to Him.  

So when I am stricken by illness after illness, leaving me feeling like a useless shell of what I used to be, I can look to the One who directs my footsteps and know that He has a plan for the pain.  Or when I go through times of want, struggling to make ends meet, I can look for the lessons He is teaching me in the middle of the desert.  Or when I feel like I am all alone, ceasing to sense His presence despite my searching, I can remember that I stand in the shadow of His Almighty.

The holiness of God reminds me that His ways are much higher than mine and can never be fully understood.

Worthy

"I just want you to know that you deserve the best.  You are beautiful." Lil Wayne
"Timidity keeps people from their good.  They are afraid to say, 'Yes, I deserve it.'" Maya Angelou
"You deserve to be happy.  You deserve delight."  Hannah Arendt

Is it any wonder that we live in an age of entitlement?  We are constantly bombarded by such self-absorbed messages which appeal to our sinful natures.  After all, who doesn't want to be the center of attention and receive the best out of life?

The problem is, however, that God did not create me to get all the things I think I deserve.  Instead, He created me for His own purposes, and He is the only one who deserves anything at all.  In fact, since this is His creation, I would even go so far as to say that I should learn to be thankful that He even gives me my next breath.

Instead, I often adopt the attitude that I've worked hard and I deserve a break.  Other times, I justify my sinful ways by listing all the things that I think I do right.  Sometimes, I even find myself thinking I have earned some kind of benefit or reward due to my effort or attitude.

These are the times when I must remember that only God is worthy to be praised and exalted. (Revelation 4:11)  Even though I want recognition for a job well done, the Lord is the one who deserves all the credit.  Without Him, I would not even have the tools or even the life to accomplish anything.

Even though I think my sin is not a big deal in the scheme of things, God is the only One who can judge my heart.  Even though I've decided that my endeavors have earned me something good, only God is righteous enough to offer blessing or curse.

Instead of focusing on my own value, then, I would be wise to consider the worthiness of God to be praised and exalted above all things.  It is easy to either lift myself up too high, or not see any merit in myself at all.  In the place of putting myself on the scale in the first place, I can keep my attention on the One who created me in His image, knowing that He is the only One who is worthy to be praised. (Psalm 145:3)

The holiness of God reminds me that He is the only One who is worthy to receive praise and honor, keeping my attention fully on Him.

Majestic

The mighty mountain peak towered above the surrounding land, reigning over the plains and valleys.  Everyone who visited the Puget Sound area marveled at the beauty and majesty of Mount Rainier.  

Like a snow-covered mountain peak that can take my breath away, God is similarly majestic in power and authority.  There is nothing God cannot do and no place where He cannot visit.  As Moses and Miriam sang after God delivered them on dry land through the Red Sea, rescuing them from the persistent and powerful Egyptians, "Your right hand, O LORD, is glorious in power.  Your right hand, O LORD, smashes the enemy.  In the greatness of your majesty, you overthrow those who rise against you.  You unleash your blazing fury; it consumes them like straw."  (Exodus 15:6-7)

Since God is for me through faith in Jesus Christ, who can be against me? (Romans 8:31)  Who can thwart the plans of the Almighty?  Who can trip up His purposes for my life?  Therefore, I can trust Him to do what is right, to lead me on the path that is best for me, and to protect me from those who want to harm me.  

The holiness of God reminds me that He has power and authority over all things making Him the only One who can be trusted to lead me into the unknown of tomorrow.


God wants me to live a life of purity because of His holiness.  This means that He is a God whose ways are higher than mine, who is the only One who is worthy to be praised, and who is majestic in power and authority.  When I dedicate myself to living a life set aside for Him, I end up glorifying these attributes of my holy God.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can worship the holy God in the way I live my life.

When do I take His holiness lightly?

How do I lower God's status in order for Him to meet my own standards?

No comments:

Post a Comment