The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Value God's Heart

"Are we commending ourselves to you again?
No, we are giving you a reason to be proud of us,
so you can answer those who brag
about having a spectacular ministry
rather than having a sincere heart."
2 Corinthians 5:12 NLT


He didn't look at the outward appearance, choosing the most obvious brother who seemed more kingly.  Instead, God chose the boy who hadn't yet grown into a man.  He anointed David as the next king of Israel because the shepherd boy was to be known as a man after God's own heart.  (1 Samuel 16:7, Acts 13:22)

I have to admit, I am impressed with spectacular ministries that boast large numbers of converts, or that make a large impact, changing whole communities, or who can boast of much growth.  God, however, is impressed with an obedient heart who is devoted to pleasing Him and doing as He has called, even if it means I will never see the impact in this lifetime.

Since God values my heart, I should value His as well.

Loving the Lost

His flock was large; 99 strong.  Still, the thought of that one who had gone astray constantly weighed on His heart.  He couldn't just leave His beloved own wandering around aimlessly, searching for the truth.  He must pursue. (Luke 15:3-7)

This is the heart of God.  He is a tracker, a hunter, a finder of the lost.  How do I respond to the lost who God has placed all around me?  There is the surly old man who flings insults at me as I try to strike up a conversation, or the angry teenager who constantly gets himself into trouble, or the lonely woman who drowns her sorrows in a bottle.

God never gives up on the lost, so neither should I.

Mercy on the Estranged

The boy wanted his own way.  He couldn't wait to taste life to the fullest by trying new foods, experiencing new cultures and embracing the affections of many women.  Thinking he was ready to strike out on his own, he begged his father for his inheritance now.  Reluctantly, the father let his son have his way.  Inside, though, he mourned for what could have been.

Like God, this father loved his son enough to let him go until such a time as he would see his need for his father.  When the son realized the error of his decision as he saw that even the pigs had it better than he, he was ready to turn back to his father.  Why should he starve when there was a father who loved him and who always provided?  Sure enough, his father welcomed him with open arms, looking beyond the hurt of the past and accepting him as a beloved son. (Luke 15:11-32)

This is the heart of God.  He has mercy on the estranged, compassion on those who are separated, and sympathy for the alienated.  How do I respond to those around me who are reaping what they have sown?  Perhaps they made some poor decisions and are now drowning in a sea of debt, or they lived a life of selfishness and now find themselves all alone, or their choices were based on ignorance rather than wisdom and now they are in a world of hurt.

God's mercy never runs out, so neither should mine.

Forgiving the Debtor

His servant owed Him millions of dollars.  The master didn't really have a choice but to sell the man's wife and his children to pay for the debt.  There was no other way.  When He brought the servant before Him, however, the man fell down at His feet, begging for mercy.  The Master's heart was filled with compassion and He forgave the debt on the spot, releasing him from this heavy burden. (Matthew 18:21-27)

This is the heart of God.  Through the blood of Jesus, He is able to forgive me of all my sins, not holding my transgressions against me.  I am released from the heavy burden my sins place on me.  For this reason, I hold the power to let go of the hurts others cause me.  Unlike the servant in the above story who refused to forgive another of a small debt, I am called to be an expert in forgiveness.

Who needs my forgiveness today?  It could be the close friend who snubbed me in a hurtful way, or the family member who routinely leaves me out of important decisions, or the coworker who refuses to acknowledge my existence.

God forgives me so I can forgive others.


God is all about the heart.  Learning about His heart gives me a clue as to how to live my life as His child.  Loving the lost, showing mercy to the estranged, and living to forgive are some attributes of God's heart.  If I value His heart, I will follow suit and let Him do the same through me.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will value God's heart.

How do I withhold mercy from those who I judge as not worthy or deserving?

When do I overlook the lost?

No comments:

Post a Comment