The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Triumphal Procession

"But thank God!  He has made us his captives
and continues to lead us along in
Christ's triumphal procession.
Now he uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet perfume.
Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God.
But this fragrance is perceived differently
by those who are being saved
and by those who are perishing.
To those who are perishing,
we are a dreadful smell of death and doom.
But to those who are being saved,
we are a life-giving perfume.
And who is adequate for such a task as this?
You see, we are not like many hucksters
who preach for personal profit.
We preach the word of God with sincerity 
and with Christ's authority,
knowing that God is watching us."
2 Corinthians 2:14-17 NLT



I always knew when she had been there, working out at the gym.  The overpowering scent of her perfume lingered in the air long after she had left the room.  While some may have enjoyed the aroma her fragrance left, my sensitivity to perfume left me gasping for fresh air.  

As a follower of Christ, I leave a similar fragrance behind as I make my way through this world.  This particular aroma, however, is one that brings with it the knowledge of Christ, not just a physical smell.  

My life, then, and all the decisions I make, the places I travel and the activities in which I participate are for a specific purpose: to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Death

His agony was so excruciating that even a drop of water upon his tongue would have felt heavenly.  He pleaded for the man on the other side to have mercy on him, bringing him even the slightest bit of comfort.  Unfortunately for him, it was too late for the condemned man to receive the grace and mercy always available to him.  Now, he existed on the other side of a great chasm that separated him from the Source of all good things. (Luke 16:19-31)

Instead of spending his life living for God, this foolish man spent it turning his nose up at the stench of death that lay outside his gate.  Lazarus, the poor, sickly man who begged for help outside his home, was an opportunity for this well-to-do man to look beyond himself and see God.  Instead, what he saw disgusted him. 

For those who go through life living for Christ, He will leave tell-tale signs of His presence.  For those who are bent on living for self, however, His followers are simply a reminder of how shallow and empty their own lives are without the God of love.  Coming into the presence of such compassion will only make the sinfulness of those who are headed on the path that leads to destruction more painfully clear.

There are times when I run into rude, cruel and difficult people who seem to be out to get me.  Even though I let the love of God flow to them, it seems their tough exterior grows even more harsh in my presence.  I am tempted to wonder why they hate me.  In these instances, I may need to consider that the love of Christ is coming across as a stench to their nostrils.

If my life seems foolish to those around me, I can take that as a cue to pray for their salvation.  (1 Corinthians 1:18)

Life

The Shepherd led the flock toward the lush, green pastures, allowing them to graze until their bellies were satisfied.  He kept constant watch, looking out for their best interest and protecting them from the attacks of the predators.  When He sensed their heartbeats rising in anxiety, He led them beside the tranquil waters of the hidden spring, calming their nerves and giving them peace.  The aim of this Shepherd was to provide an abundant, full life to His flock.  (Psalm 23, John 10:10)

Jesus is the life-giver.  When He sacrificed His own perfect life in order to take on the punishment my sins earned me, He became my Savior, saving me from an eternal death.  (Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23)  In this way, He is giver of life eternal. (John 3:16)

For those who are saved by Christ, my life gives off the fragrance of life, pleasant and agreeable, drawing delight and joy.  

Sincerity

"Gather 'round, I have a few words to say to you before you begin your journey.  You are headed into enemy territory.  Many will not accept the message you are giving.  No matter, because many will receive it with joy.  Focus on those who accept the truth of the Gospel, pouring into their lives the love I give to you.  It is as if I were sending you out into the field to harvest a crop.  There is much work to be done, and not enough workers, but go forth as one on a mission.  Ask, and our Father will send backup help."  (paraphrase of Luke 10:1-3)

Jesus knew the task that lay before the 72 disciples, but he also knew the joy of seeing the bountiful fruit about to be harvested.  Recognizing that the knowledge of Christ emanating around me will draw a varied response, I must take that as a call to speak of God whenever possible despite the reaction I receive.  God is sending me out into the mission field, just as Jesus sent the disciples of old.  

My harvest field is located all around me; in my community, my place of work, and where I recreate and do business.  Some will accept the Gospel, others will reject it.  However its received, my only duty is in telling others the Good News as if God were watching me.  He has saved me and placed me specifically in this location for His purposes.  My mission is to speak through words given by His Spirit, actions driven by His love, and choices made to please God.  

Since my life is a living demonstration of the love of God, it speaks volumes about the Gospel of Christ.


No matter what my intent, my life is a testimony to whom I live.  If I live for me, it will reek of sin.  If I live for Christ, however, it will leave His fragrance wherever I go.  To those who reject the Truth, His scent will only remind them of their own inadequacies and their impending doom, but to those who are saved by Christ, His fragrance is the bouquet of life.  My only mission is to follow God's lead as He gives me the words and deeds to speak boldly for Christ, making my life a victorious demonstration of His love that brings glory to God.     


No comments:

Post a Comment