The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mind of Christ

"No one can know a person's thoughts
except that person's own spirit,
and no one can know God's thoughts except
God's own Spirit.
And we have received God's Spirit (not the world's spirit),
so we can know the wonderful things 
God has freely given us.
When we tell you these things,
we do not use words that come from human wisdom.
Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit,
using the Spirit's words to explain spiritual truths.
But people who aren't spiritual
can't receive these truths from God's Spirit.
It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it,
for only those who are spiritual 
can understand what the Spirit means.
Those who are spiritual can evaluate all things,
but they themselves cannot be evaluated by others."
1 Corinthians 2:11-15 NLT



"I can't read your mind!"  
My husband turned at the frustrated tone in my voice.  "I'm sorry.  Sometimes I think you know exactly what I'm thinking and can just pick right up with where my thoughts left off.  Let me catch you up so we can be on the same page."

This kind of miscommunication or use of false assumptions takes place quite often in our marriage.  Either my husband or I will be thinking about a certain topic and start a conversation in the middle of a thought, presuming the other will immediately understand the context, pretext and subject matter.  Most of the time, though, we're hopelessly lost.

Just as no one can possibly know my husband's thoughts except himself, there is no way to know the mind of God except through His Spirit.

God's Spirit gives us understanding of His ways but without Him, I just don't get it.

Spirit from God

"Plane crashes in Atlantic; no survivors."
"Terrorists bomb embassy, three killed."
"Gunman goes on a rampage in school, dozens of children and teachers killed."
"New findings show cancer rates are climbing."

Reading the news in this fallen world is an exercise in discouragement and despair.  I am surrounded by things that can make me fearful and worried for the lives of myself and my family.  Seeing the threats all around, I begin to pay attention to the dialogue taking place within the culture as to how we can keep ourselves safe from danger. 

Some say banning guns is the answer.  Others say we should increase our military might in countries who train and harbor terrorists.  Then there are the experts who advise us to eat organic foods and stay away from too much electromagnetic radiation.  Suddenly, I find myself living in a constant state of fear as I work hard to prevent harm.

God, however, teaches another way to live.  He did not give me, as His child, a fearful spirit, but the reassurance of an adopted daughter who is completely cared for by a loving Father.  (Romans 8:15)  

Instead of trying to negotiate this treacherous world by focusing on how I can avoid hazards, I have been given a Guide in the Holy Spirit who teaches me God's ways.  Then, as threats are hurled my way, I can sleep as peacefully as Jesus did in the boat rocked by the ferocious storm.  (Mark 4:35-41)

In place of getting caught up in the world's way of thinking, using my common sense to make decisions and looking to the opinions of experts or friends to help me know which way I should go, I can turn to God's wisdom that comes from paying attention to Him as Lord of all creation.  (Proverbs 9:10)

Once I start following God's lead in this way, I will see how backwards it is from the world's way of thinking.  Where the world advises to run away, God says to stand firm.  When all the experts say to hoard my money, God says to be generous.  While common sense tells me I should panic, God assures me of the security found in my sonship.

God's Spirit teaches me His ways as I live in a world that tells me otherwise.

Spiritual Language

My family and I lived in Germany for three years as part of my husband's Army career.  During that time, we learned some of the host country's language and culture, growing to appreciate the friendly people and rich history.  Many of the German ways were different from what I was used to in America.

In a similar way, I can't understand the ways of God using my own background and insight.  Instead, He must give me His own language with which to comprehend the lessons He teaches.  A late-blooming Azalea is just an anomaly in the natural world, but from a spiritual point of view, it is a lesson on how some people come to faith later than others.

A frustrating situation that seems to slow me down becomes a lesson in waiting on His timing and sovereignty.   The strange sight of a mockingbird hovering over the Finch nest hidden in the hanging ferns seemed odd and out of the ordinary to my eye, but to God, it was a warning to watch out for someone preying on the neighborhood children.

If I'm going to take God seriously, I will find myself thinking in a new way, using different terminology, and gaining insight into His kingdom from the most unlikely places.  His passion will flow through me as I reach out to the lost around me, giving them the hope of the Gospel as a lifeline in a sea of despair.  (1 Corinthians 2:4)

God's Spirit uses His own language to show me His kingdom ways and His heart for the lost.

Spiritual Discernment

Little Red Riding Hood is a story about a little girl and her grandmother who naively yielded to the wily ways of a clever wolf.  Unfortunately, they both lost their lives because of their inability to distinguish between a friend and a foe.

Thankfully, I am not left as vulnerable as the poor youngster in this familiar fairy tale.  God's Spirit gives me the ability to discern between the power found in the message of God and the deceptiveness of Evil.  My job is to pay attention to His quiet warnings.

It's easy to listen to the popular talk show host who dispenses advice like popcorn at a movie theater.  It sounds good and seems so sensible, but that nagging feeling inside tells me I'm not listening to godly words of wisdom.

Other times I get caught up in a popular Christian book, organizing a discussion group.  However, I must pay attention to the red flags that are going up as a sign that the message is not quite as God intended.

I often jump on the bandwagon of participating in certain activities which seem harmless but every time I take part, that uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach will not go away.

Jesus said that He considers me to be His friend because He reveals everything to me just as His Father did for Him. (John 15:15)   I can then take advantage of this relationship by paying attention to His lead, allowing Him to guide me toward the truth.

God's Spirit gives me the ability to tell the difference between a message that will steer me toward Him and one that will take me away.


Just as I cannot know my husband's mind, I have no hope of understanding God's ways without Him.  Thankfully, His Spirit gives insight into His ways, using His own language and an important capacity to discern.  In this way, I have the mind of Christ.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can pay attention to His teachings.

When do I ignore God's subtle warnings and instead do my own thing?

How am I guilty of paying more attention to worldly wisdom instead of God's?


No comments:

Post a Comment