The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Made for Greatness

"Now it is God
who makes both us and you
stand firm in Christ.
He anointed us,
set his seal of ownership on us,
and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit,
guaranteeing what is to come."
2 Corinthians 1:21-22



Again and again, the whip mercilessly found its mark.   Welts and open wounds covered his back, delivering excruciating pain to the man.  His crime?  Following Jesus.  Despite the torture, he would not renounce his faith in Christ.  What makes a man stand firm in the face of such agony and torment?  It is the work of God Himself.

Anointed

There was no one stronger.  His desire for pleasure drew him into many difficult predicaments, leading him to enact revenge using creatively cruel methods.  Basically, his lifestyle drew violence.

No one would call Samson a man after God's own heart, but he was set aside for His use.  He was anointed as a Nazirite from the time before he was conceived, his parents carefully following the guidelines set forth by the angel of the Lord who was sent to deliver this message of joy.  No wine or fermented drink ever entered his system, his hair grew uninhibited as no razor touched his skin, and nothing but clean food nourished his body.  This boy was destined for greatness. (Judges 13:2-5)

Even though Samson was anointed by God and used to bring judgement upon the Philistines, the enemies of His chosen people, he did not live wholeheartedly to God.  In the same way, I am set aside for God's use, chosen as a living sacrifice. (Romans 12:1)  The attitude of my heart betrays my true motivation, however.  Many times, I am as self-seeking as Samson was, intent on satisfying my own pleasures, focused on defending my own rights, and dedicated to following my own plans.

God can still use me to fulfill His purposes, just as He did Samson.  But my legacy will either be that of one who was fully committed to living for Christ, or as one who was used by Him despite my own faithlessness.  It is up to me to remain in Christ, just as His anointing teaches me to do. (1 John 2:27)

God gives me the anointing for His service, granting me the ability to stay connected to Him in a way that brings glory to God.

Sealed

He was the favored son.  He never seemed to mess up like all his brothers did.  Everything he did prospered.  Even when he was sold into slavery, things just seemed to work out for him and soon he came out smelling like a rose.  One day he was languishing in jail, put there by his owner's jealous wife, the next he was in charge of all the prisoners.  (Genesis 39)  Later, as a result of his ability to interpret dreams, he was elevated to second in command of all of Egypt. (Genesis 41)

Joseph did not rise to such heights because of his own efforts or worth.  Instead, it was the favor of God that was upon him, giving him preference in the eyes of those in charge.  (Genesis 39:21, Genesis 41:39)

I too am sealed by faith in the blood of Jesus. (Ephesians 4:31)   I am stamped as His own property, having been bought with a price.  Now my life no longer belongs to me, but to Christ. (1 Corinthians 6:20, Galatians 2:20)

This seal of ownership gives me the ability to stand firm for the One Who gave His life for me.  Just as Joseph was able to live a righteous life despite great hardship and temptation, I am able to withstand the difficulties that come my way without giving up,  keep from getting drawn into the ways of the world, and persevering through the suffering.

God stamps His seal of ownership upon my head, giving me the ability to live for Him despite the hard times that come.

Guaranteed

He walked with God, then he was no more. (Genesis 5:24)  There is no dispute: Enoch was a man who pleased God in the way he kept faithful to Him.  (Hebrews 11:5-6)  Enoch lived during a time of great wickedness.  People were growing increasingly evil, turning their hearts toward their own desires instead of living in a way that pleased God.  Enoch stood out because his focus was on God and His ways.

In the same way, I live in a time of great wickedness.  People use their own common sense to solve problems, relying on what they think is right instead of acknowledging God in all their ways.  (Proverbs 3:5-6)  The people of our time are very much like the people who lived in the time of Micah when there was no judge to guide the Israelites.  (Judges 17:6)  Instead, people just did what seemed right to them.

It may seem to be most compassionate to abort a baby to keep her from suffering a neglectful life, but seeking the wisdom of God would enlighten me to realize that all life is precious.  In my mind, it may seem only fair that everyone should be allowed to marry no matter their sexual orientation.  If I took the time to find out what God ordained, however, I would learn that the pattern for marriage as He designed it is to be between a man and a woman.  (Genesis 1:27, Genesis 2:23-24) 

God put His Spirit in my heart as a deposit of what is to come so I can live as a foreigner here, completely committed to His kingdom.


Even though I may not be physically tortured for my faith in Christ, I will find myself coming against opposition if I live for him.  Thankfully, He gives me the ability to stand firm by anointing me for His use, sealing me as His own, and guaranteeing me life eternal.  In these ways, I am made for greatness!


No comments:

Post a Comment