The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Jars of Clay

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay
to show that this all-surpassing power is from God
and not from us.
We are hard pressed on every side,
but not crushed;
perplexed, but not in despair;
persecuted, but not abandoned;
struck down, but not destroyed.
. . .Therefore we do not lose heart.
Though outwardly we are wasting away,
yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
For our light and momentary troubles 
are achieving for us an eternal glory
that far outweighs them all.
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen,
but on what is unseen.
For what is seen is temporary,
but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:7-9, 16-18


The fire-proof lock-box containing all our important papers and other valuables sits in our bedroom closet.  It is heavy, making it difficult to move.  When I want to access it, I must use a special key kept securely in a secret place.  This box is designed with the intent of keeping those special items safe from fire, theft or water damage.  My husband and I have agreed that if there was some kind of natural disaster or catastrophic event, that box would be one of the things we would take with us.

While I have a certain way of protecting valuables, God has a different method.  His approach lies contrary to mine.  Instead of placing His precious Light in a container of great integrity worthy of it's importance, He entrusts His power to our frail and fragile bodies.  

It's from God

"Please take this away. . .the pain is too great. . . I can't handle the torment. . .please, Lord, take it away so I can serve you freely."  God, however, did not remove this thorn in Paul's side.  Instead, He left the unknown infirmity there to keep Paul humble and reliant on Him for the strength needed to get through each task. (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)

As a result of this difficulty placed in Paul's life, he grew to appreciate the weaknesses, hardships, persecution and insults, for that is when God's power is best displayed.

There are circumstances in my life against which which I am fighting,  wanting instead to be free from them.  God wants me to know that the freedom will come not through removal of the difficulty, but in trusting Him through the trouble.

The only way God will get the glory in my life is if He places His amazing power in this weak, broken vessel that is me.

Inward Renewal

Every day my body falls apart a little bit more.  Not only is my appearance showing my age with the progression of wrinkles and gray hair, but my joints feel the effects of arthritis, my flexibility is diminishing while stiffness increases and my strength is not what it has been in the past.  Some days, I just feel my age more than others.

Thankfully, even though my body is falling apart, God renews my spirit each and every day.  For this reason I can keep going despite the heartaches and physical pain.

Whatever outward challenges I face today, I can take encouragement from knowing my inner self is always in the process of being renewed and remolded into the image of Christ.  (Colossians 3:10)

The only way I can keep going through the sorrow and anguish of this fallen world is through the constant inward renewal process God supplies.

Eternal Glory

We saved up our money, pinching pennies and temporarily forgoing certain pleasures in order to have enough funds to pay for our vacation.  We looked forward to the day when we could experience Disneyland together, knowing it would be an enjoyable time together as a family.  Because of this great hope, we sacrificed gladly in the now in order to reap the benefit in the future.

In a much more powerful way, this is how I can withstand momentary troubles, knowing it will pale in comparison to the everlasting reward waiting for me in Eternity.  Keeping my focus on what is to come in the future instead of on the present suffering will give me an eternal perspective.

I can either live in the now and wonder "why me?" or I can press forward for what is to come and accept my lot in this life.



God places His very power within my weak and fragile body.  Why would He do such a seemingly foolish thing?  So He can get all the glory for the things He does through me, showcase His power by restoring my spirit day by day, and give me an unseen goal to keep me going.  In this way I can see the purpose for placing such a treasure in jars of clay.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God through all the hard times, knowing He has a purpose.

When do I feel discouraged about the state of my physical condition?

How can I draw strength from knowing I have much joy awaiting me in eternity?



No comments:

Post a Comment