The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Called by God's Will

"Paul,
called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus
by the will of God. . ."
1 Corinthians 1:1a


Homeschooling is not for the faint of heart.  That is a thought that crossed my mind many times during the fifteen-year span of time during which I taught our four daughters at home.  There were days when no one seemed to be listening to me and everyone was bent on doing their own thing.  Other times I could detect very little progress in the way of academics and even less in the realm of my girls' spiritual development.  It was then that I asked myself, Why am I putting myself and my family through this torture?

Of course, homeschooling is not really torturous, it only seems so during the difficult times.  But the thing that kept me going, the fuel that fired my engine and the shield that protected my sanity was my calling.  I knew it was God's will for me to teach our family at home, and it was this calling that encouraged me to stick with it when I felt like giving up.

Life is equally as difficult, especially when I'm living for Jesus.  Knowing that I am called by God, however, changes my perception and gives me new reasons for carrying on.

Purpose

What is my purpose?  Why am I here?  These age-old questions have haunted philosophers for hundreds of years.  While most realize there is a specific reason for each persons' existence, most do not acknowledge the Creator behind the blueprint for my life.  If there is a plan, however, it logically follows that there must be a Planner.

Recognizing that I have been placed here for God and that He is using me to fulfill His design for my life gives me a strong sense of purpose.  Then, when a door of opportunity opens up, instead of dismissing it as an impossibility, I consider that God is moving me in a new direction.  

Or, when everything seems to be going wrong, I can trust in the plan God has for me that deviates from the methods I use to gain success.  

Or, when I feel restless and ill-at-ease, I can recognize this as a symptom that I am straying away from His shepherding that results in peace.  (Psalm 23:1-4)

Knowing that I am called by the will of God gives me a sense of purpose that drives my life forward.

Perspective

I remember sitting on my neighbor's front porch and marveling at how the change in point of view altered my perception of the neighborhood.  Not only could I see my own home better from this vantage point, but I enjoyed the different angle from which to view the houses around me.  My visit with my friend, however, added to my list of things-to-do as I noticed that my shutters needed a coat of paint and that the bushes in front of the porch needed a good trimming.  A change in perspective can be helpful.

It is the same with my spiritual life.  I am used to seeing things from my own point-of-view where the late delivery of the mail is an inconvenience, the noise of teenage boys playing football in the cul-de-sac is an irritant and the elderly woman in front of me in the grocery check-out is an hindrance.

I am desperately in need of God's perspective.  Realizing my very existence is by the hand of God, though, does work to change the way I see things.  Instead of a bother, I understand the pressures placed on my mail carrier and offer her a word of encouragement.

In the place of annoyance, I see the young men blowing off steam in front of my house as boys who are finding ways to live a more focused life and who just need time to be kids.

As a substitute for impatience, I offer a helping hand to the aged woman who is desperately in need of a little love and care.

Knowing that I am called by the will of God gives me a different perspective as I begin to see others through His lens.

Perseverance

Hitting the wall.  Every long-distance runner has experienced this at one point or another where muscle glycogen stores are depleted and energy is gone.  It feels like either my legs have stopped working or my brain has ceased to send commands.  Either way, it seems I can't go on. 

While consuming some carbohydrate-loaded fuel during a workout can prevent this phenomena, the same cure does nothing for running out of steam in my walk with God.  Maybe I'm tired of the physical pain and don't see how I can persist.  Or, I am burned out in my struggles: Will I ever get past the difficulties and enter smooth waters?  Or, I may wonder why I get all the grief while my friend seems to have it so easy.

During these breaking points, keeping in mind that I am called by God, no matter how big or small this purpose may seem will help me to persevere.  Knowing there is a greater purpose behind the complexity of life helps me to continue placing one step in front of the other.

It is then that the pain is seen as a tool used to humble me, the trials work to build my faith and the heartaches cultivate compassion.  I never like hurting, struggling or suffering.  In fact, I love to be exalted or praised for a job well done.  Many times, however, God has other plans:  How often am I willing to place myself in God's hands for whatever purpose He desires?

Oswald Chambers challenges believers with the thought of being offered as a living sacrifice.  He said, "It is one thing to go on the lonely way with dignified heroism, but quite another thing if the line mapped out for you by God means being a door-mat under other people's feet."  If it is God's purpose for me to do small things for Him and never receive a word of thanks, I will only be able to persevere through that kind of treatment if I'm living for God.

If I'm living for my own comfort, feeling of self-worth or fulfillment, then I will never get past the hard times.  Instead, I will only see them as a burden to weigh me down.

But, If I'm living for God's glory, constantly seeking His will and understanding that He is the One with the master-plan, then every circumstance is a tool for His use and an opportunity to trust Him.


As one who has given my life to Jesus, it is vital for me to understand from where my calling comes.  Once I accept that God is the One who holds the blueprint for my life, then I will obtain a sense of purpose, gain a new perspective, and receive the power to persevere through difficulties.  As I step into this new way of living, I, like Paul, can say I am called by the will of God.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God completely, even when things look out of control.

How do I see things only from my perspective?

When am I stuck in my pain, failing to see its purpose in my Father's hands? 

No comments:

Post a Comment