The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Strong Foundation

"By the grace God has given me, 
I laid a foundation as an expert builder,
and someone else is building on it.
But each one should be careful how he builds.
For no on can lay any foundation
other than the one already laid,
which is Jesus Christ.
If any man builds on this foundation using gold,
silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw,
his work will be shown for what it is,
because the Day will bring it to light.
It will be revealed with fire,
 and the fire will test the quality of each man's work.
If what he has built survives,
he will receive his reward.
If it is burned up,
he will suffer loss;
he himself will be saved,
but only as one escaping through the flames."
1 Corinthians 3:10-15



The three were sent out into the world to make a life for themselves.  One chose the quick and easy route, taking the first job that came along and using his first paycheck to lease an apartment.  The second son decided to reach a little higher than his brother and sought a management position while saving up for a down-payment on a mortgage for his very own house.  The third son was the most ambitious and determined of them all, developing his own business from the ground up.  Soon, he amassed enough of a fortune to build a brick home.  

As my version of the story goes, the big bad stock market crashed, leaving the economy in bad shape.  The first son lost everything as his job was the first to be cut, leaving him out on the street.  The second was down-sized to a lower-paying job and he foreclosed on the home he bought on a whim.  The third son felt the impact of the downturn, but with his strong credit rating and business plan, he was able to weather the storm without much of a loss.

While life is not always like a fairy-tale, there is a lesson to be learned from every story.  Whatever I build my life upon will determine it's quality in the eyes of the Lord.  If I base my beliefs on what Oprah, Dr Phil, or even Pastor Paul says, I'm building on a weak foundation.  The only strong base for a life of meaning and purpose is to lay the groundwork starting with Jesus Christ.  Anything else will not survive the fire of God's judgment.  

If I'm serious about making Jesus the basis for my life, I can start with what He said about Himself in John 14:6a when He said, "I am the way and the truth and the life."  Then, I will be able to weather any storm and can live with the assurance that my life will have an eternal impact.

Way

"There are many ways to get to God."  This common belief came from the mouth of one who grew up in the Catholic Church.  Lately, he had drifted from his roots and tried another religion.

While there may be many belief-systems designed with the goal of getting closer to God, only one leads to a true relationship with God the Father.  As a sinner who lives in a state of defiance against God's standard (Romans 3:23), I am doomed to destruction when I stand before God based on my own merit. (Romans 6:23a)  The only solution to my sin problem is for someone to take the punishment meant for my sins, giving me a chance to live instead of facing the death penalty.

Jesus Christ did this when He died on the cross, making a way for me to live eternally in the presence of a Holy God and experience His love in this life on a daily basis.  No other religion provides a remedy for the rift my sin creates between me and God.

Basing my life on the fact that Jesus is the only way will keep me on the narrow path that leads to life.  I may not have all the trappings those around me enjoy as they travel the wide path, but I will have peace they can never experience apart from Jesus. (Matthew 7:13-14)

The only strong foundation for my life is to believe that Jesus is the only way to God.

Truth

Most people today believe that truth is whatever is good for them.  What works for me may not work for you, but the understanding goes that there is no universal truth.

Building my life on this fallacy will lead to many pitfalls.  If I think lying is okay as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, I will soon find that deceit will always bring pain and suffering.  If it is my neighbor's belief that God doesn't mind how we live as long as we've accepted Jesus as our Savior, I will soon witness the fallout of living a life to please the flesh.  If my friend doesn't accept the teaching on forgiveness, our relationship will suffer as she holds a grudge against me.

Rejecting the idea of truth goes further than creating a life of chaos and misery.  In turning away from what is right I am turning away from Jesus Christ who is the Truth.  In Him is found the wisdom of God and the fulfillment of prophecies.  He is more than a Savior, He is also the source of all that I ever need to know about anything.

Basing my life on what Jesus teaches me will lead to a life that will stand under intense scrutiny.    No matter how hard someone tries to find some dirt, none will be found.  Accusations will fall flat and legal claims will come to nothing.  The result will be glory for God as others see all the good He is doing in my life.  (1 Peter 2:12)

The only strong foundation for my life is to believe that Jesus is the source of Truth.

Life

The daily grind: I wake up to the annoying sound of the alarm, shuffle to the kitchen for a cup of coffee, turn on the news to hear the depressing onslaught of tragedy, scandal and corruption for the day, and begin another day in a meaningless string of equally-as-insignificant days.  What kind of life is this?

Jesus addressed this tendency for humans to settle for a shallow existence.  He said He is the gate to the kingdom of God who gives those who follow Him a full life filled with meaning and purpose.  Satan, however, only desires to use men for his own purposes, leaving a feeling of emptiness and discontent.  (John 10:7-10)

As I accept the abundant life Jesus offers, I will find my motivation for work that came from a desire for self-promotion and wealth turn into a passion for the humble ministry to which He has called.  In the place of looking for ways to please myself and fill my own tank of happiness, I find a desire to cater to the needs of others.  While I once found great pleasure in talking about the difficulties other's face, coming up with wonderful solutions for their problems, I now discover a love for lifting them up in prayer.

Where once existed an empty, self-centered life, now has been replaced with an abundant life overflowing with the love and goodness of God.  (Psalm 23:5)


I can base my life on many things, whether it be materialism, the teachings of wise men, or the search for self-fulfillment.  Whatever I decide to make as the foundation for my life, I will one day stand before God.  Only a life lived for Christ as the Way, the Truth and the Life, will be able to withstand the test.  I desire to build on the Strong Foundation!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will choose to live as Jesus is leading me to live.

When do I get caught up in following teachings that don't line up with what Jesus taught?

In what ways is my life empty and meaningless? 

No comments:

Post a Comment