The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Protection of Forgiveness

"If you forgive anyone,
I also forgive him.
And what I have forgiven--
if there was anything to forgive--
I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake,
in order that Satan might not outwit us.
For we are not unaware of his schemes."
2 Corinthians 2:10-11



The feud went on for years.  During a time period that spanned over twenty-five years, one family held a hatred for the other family, sometimes killing over trivial things like the ownership of a hog, other times over sheer revenge.  Whatever the motivation, what can be said about the Hatfields and the McCoys is that they have become an icon for the destructiveness of unforgiveness.

As a follower of Christ, I am called to be an expert forgiver, passing on the mercy I have received through Jesus Christ.  It comes as no surprise, then, that Satan would work against this command, doing everything he can to keep me in a state of unforgiveness.  I am not, however, defenseless against the schemes of the Evil One.


Alert

Jesus told a parable of an evil spirit leaving a man.  Upon his return, he finds his previous dwelling place to be swept clean, ready for occupation.  Since the situation is so favorable, he brings in seven of his friends and, "the final condition of that man is worse than the first." (Luke 11:23-26)

The man in the parable was oblivious to the danger in which his naivete place him.  Instead of paying attention, the man assumed he was safe since the evil had left him.  His mistake was in failing to fill his life with Jesus.

I put myself in the same peril when I don't commit my life fully to Jesus.  In trying to take on certain projects in my own power, I am leaving myself open to the schemes of the Evil One, completely unaware of how he is leading me away from the Truth.

Instead, I must be alert, realizing that Satan is out to get me.  I make myself vulnerable when I am outside Christ's domain, venturing into the territory of independence, self-righteousness, and self-reliance.  In depending upon my own strength and wherewithall, or in refusing to give someone a second chance,  I am inviting Satan into my life in the same way the man with the empty heart left a place for evil to dwell.  In the place of this foolish vulnerability, I must let the love of Jesus rule my life.

Satan will not find success in his schemes when I am aware of his tactics and fully utilize the armor freely given to those who entrust their lives to Jesus. (Ephesians 6:10-18)

Resist

He was hungry, thirsty and tired after spending forty days fasting in the wilderness.  At His weakest point, Satan came to tempt Him physically, appealing to His hunger; then to question His Father's dominion and protection over Him; and finally to lure Him to idolatry.  Each time, Christ resisted these attempts of Satan, utilizing the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. (Matthew 1-11, Ephesians 6:17)

In the same way that Christ was tempted, Satan also attempts to lure me away from the Truth as I have learned it.  He may say, "You're no good.  You're a failure.  Who do you think you are trying to take on such a ministry?"  to which I can say, "There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  Everything God made is good, and I am created in His image, making me invaluable.  God has already given me everything I need to accomplish the mission to which He has called me.  Be gone, Satan!"  (Romans 8:1 ;Genesis 1;27, 312 Peter 1:3)

James tells me that when I place myself under the authority of God and stand firm against the attacks of Satan, he will cease and desist, retreating in failure.  (James 4:7)  When I give in to his assaults, however, his power of influence will increase in my life and God's will decrease.  Satan thrives when I yield to him.  

Satan will gain no ground in my life unless I willingly hand it over to him.

Firm Stance

"I hereby grant you the authority to cast out unclean spirits.  Generously use this power to set the prisoners free."  (paraphrased from Matthew 10:1,8)  Jesus gave His disciples domain over Satan and his minions.  Later, He taught that, ". . .anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. . .You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." (John 14:12, 14)

As a follower of Christ, I have been given the invitation to use the power found in the name of Jesus, to whom every knee will bow and tongue confess as Lord.  (Philippians 2:10)  When I realize his supremacy over all things, but especially of the Evil One, I gain the confidence to stand firm in faith.

When Satan tempts me to hold a grudge, then, I can exercise the power Jesus gives me to forgive.  When my enemy plants a seed of doubt, causing me to hesitate in my obedience to God's calling, I can utilize the dominion of Christ by standing on the integrity of God and go forward in confidence.  When the Devil appeals to my pride, telling me I am in the right and should not back down, I can call upon the power Christ has over this scheme and humbly acquiesce.

Satan will not succeed in his attacks when I stand firm on the authority of my Lord and Savior.


I must not be naive: Satan is prowling around, looking for a follower of Christ to devour. (1 Peter 5:8)  Thankfully, though, I am not left defenseless.  Instead, I have been warned of his schemes.  It is important that I pay attention, keeping alert to his efforts, resisting his attacks and standing firm in the faith.  When I practice true forgiveness, then, I am offered a type of protection from the attacks of the Evil One.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep an attitude of forgiveness.

When do I hold a grudge instead of letting go of a hurt?

How am I giving into the attacks of Satan by believing what he tells me?


No comments:

Post a Comment