The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, February 15, 2013

The Peril of the Open Door

"But I will stay on at Ephesus until Pentecost,
because a great door for 
effective work has opened to me,
and there are many who oppose me.
. . .Be on your guard; 
stand firm in the faith;
be men of courage;
be strong.
Do everything in love."
1 Corinthians 16:8-9, 13-14



She seemed to be out to get me.  I couldn't understand why another believer would react with such a severe intensity.  After all, we were on the same team, weren't we?  God had opened an amazing door to share the gospel with middle school girls, but she seemed to be using her authority and position of power to make sure that didn't happen.

Paul experienced much the same thing when an opening presented itself for sharing the gospel.  The natural instinct is to go into fight mode, setting up a perimeter and putting up my guard.  In God's kingdom, however, business is handled differently.  Instead of defending my rights, arguing my case, and fighting for what is right, God has a distinct way for His people to go forth against this kind of opposition.

Stand Firm in Faith

He was zealous for his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  His eagerness to share this joy overflowing from the hope that comes through the gift of salvation found by faith in Christ was extinguished by a dose of reality.  Some deceivers had wormed their way into the Body of believers, spreading a false doctrine. (Jude 3-4)  

This same belief confronting Jude exists today.  Some think the grace God so freely offers gives us license to live an immoral life.  Since the blood of Jesus covers my sin, so the thinking goes, then why should I worry about turning from my sinful ways?  This is commonly called, "cheap grace," and denies the severity of the sacrifice Jesus made for my sin.  It shows a blatant disregard for the suffering Jesus willingly underwent for my sake.

To stand firm means I must not waver from the truth of the gospel of grace.  I am saved so that I can live a holy life that is pleasing to God. (1 Peter 1:16)  Not that I am able to live a perfectly sin-free life, but that it must be my desire to turn away from the sin that plagues me.

On the other side of the coin is a completely opposite fallacy that is also prevalent in churches today.  Some feel the need to place a heavy burden upon followers of Christ that we must follow the letter of the law.  This, too, goes against the gospel of grace in that we are saved out of no doing of our own. (Ephesians 2:8-9)  

Followers of this mindset are taking a risk of becoming like the hypocritical Pharisees who expected more from others than they were able to do themselves.  None is able to keep the law perfectly.  If we were, there would be no need for Christ. (Galatians 2:21)

Both fallacies deny the power of the cross.  It is important to stand firm and insist on the preaching of our salvation only through the blood of Jesus.   As Paul said, "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified."  (1 Corinthians 2:2)

When people come against the work of the Gospel in my life, stand firm in the truth of the crucifixion of Christ.

Be Courageous and Strong

They were thrown in jail for preaching the Gospel, performing miraculous signs, healing people and casting out evil spirits.  Many came to faith in Christ because of their faithfulness.  As the crowds grew, the Jewish leaders grew worried, jealous of their popularity.  Consequently, they felt it necessary to stifle the enthusiasm that was growing in the midst of Peter and the other apostles.  Spending some time in jail just might do the trick.

That first night behind bars, though, an angel of the Lord opened the doors and delivered them from confinement.  This heavenly messenger also gave them marching orders, "Go, stand in the temple courts," he said, "and tell the people the full message of this new life."  Obeying such an order, knowing the result could be harsher treatment, took courage and strength.  (Acts 5:17-21)

I, too, am called to speak the truth with boldness in a world that rejects the message of the gospel as foolishness.  (Matthew 28:19-201 Corinthians 1:18)  Instead of acting timidly, I can take a lesson from Peter and go forward with the kind of faith that believes God will bring about a change in the hearts of those who hear.

When people come against the work of the Gospel in my life I can "be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power." (Ephesians 6:10)

Do Everything in Love

His nickname means, "Son of Encouragement." (Acts 4:36)  He was known for believing the best of people, patiently bearing with them in service and kindly offering words of support and inspiration.  Barnabas took seriously the commandment to love one another and beautifully demonstrated how to follow the way of love. (John 13:34-35, 1 Corinthians 14:1)

When Satan raises people up against what God is doing in my life, my first impulse is to rise to meet them in battle.  If I am to let the love of Christ rule in my heart, however, I will see the battle as belonging to the Lord.  Then, I am freed up to allow His love to flow through me.

Think of the people in northern India who spend hours a day carrying water from the river to their home.  Disease and sickness runs rampant as water supplies are not clean.  Christians are persecuted, made to wait until everyone else has received their fair share before they can fill their buckets.  Violence is a way of life for these believers, but all they want is to share the love of Jesus in a tangible way with those who attack them.

God answered their prayers and provided wells through a ministry called Living Water International.  The clean water now available to those who previously persecuted the Christians, confused yet attracted them to the love of God.

There is no greater testimony to the Gospel of Christ than by showing love to my enemies.  Those who rise up against me will not be able to deny the power behind a surprising act of compassion.

When people come against the work of the Gospel in my life I can choose to walk in the way of love.


It can be discouraging to see a door fling wide open for the effective work of God but have someone actively work against it.  Instead of fighting the opposition, though, I can stand firm in faith and be strong and courageous, doing it all with the love of Christ.  Even though there is peril to be found in the open door, God is faithful to accomplish what He set out to do.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will look for ways to love others.

When do I tend to go with my first instinct and fight, instead of looking for ways to love?

How am I prone to silence my voice when opposition rises against the Gospel?

No comments:

Post a Comment