The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Unstoppable

"Therefore, in the present case I advise you:
Leave these men alone!
Let them go!
For if their purpose or activity is of human origin,
it will fail.
But if it is from God,
you will not be able to stop these men;
you will only find yourselves fighting against God."
Acts 5:38-39



There is a nail-biting 2010 movie starring Denzel Washington and Chris Pines in which an unmanned half-mile-long freight train is barreling toward a metropolitan area.  A veteran engineer and his newbie conductor take on the task of finding a way to stop the inevitable catastrophe that's coming if the train continues on its present course.  In the end, the two men are successful in their endeavors and in so doing, form a strong bond and gain new respect for each other.

While this train was, contrary to the title, able to be brought to a standstill, God's plan is truly unstoppable.  Proverbs 21:30 reminds us that, "There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD."

God's purpose is inevitable.  It is not limited by man's frailties, endeavors or lack of knowledge.  God's plan will go forth despite anything His created beings do or don't do.

Man's Weakness

He was insecure, hot-headed, spoiled and prideful.  It took forty years to humble him to the point that God could use him.  When he finally did receive his marching orders from God, he still couldn't get past his own doubts. (Exodus 3-12)  

Moses was a man plagued with flaws, just like any other human.  Despite his limitations, God used him to deliver His people from the hands of a ruthless Pharaoh and lead them through the desert for 40 years.  God is not limited by my inabilities, faithlessness or insecurities.  Instead, He is a good who overcomes my weaknesses.

When I can't picture myself telling anyone about Jesus, He will give me the words when I step forward in faith.  For the times when I know I need to make a change in my life, like improving my diet, adding exercise to my routine, studying God's Word or practicing hospitality, I can trust God to empower the transition even if I've never done anything like this before.  During times of depression, God can show me His power in inexplicable ways if I only stop focusing on myself and my problems and concentrate instead on the acts of His amazing hand.

As God told the Apostle Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Paul then went on to say, "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."  (2 Corinthians 12:9)  I will never truly realize the power of God until I'm emptied of myself.  It is then that I'l experience His mighty hand in my life.

God's purpose is not limited by my weaknesses.

Man's Effort

He was the greatest enemy of those who called themselves followers of "The Way." (Acts 8:1-3, Acts 22:4)  He conducted house-by-house searches, dragging Believers out and throwing them into prison.  He relished destroying this church, believing himself to be working on the side of God.  He gave approval to any action, including death,  that involved silencing the Gospel.  He made it his life's ambition to stop this so-called cult, that is until Jesus confronted his behavior.  (Acts 9:4)

Saul put forth his best effort to stop the work of God.  Instead of bringing the new church to an end, however, God used Saul, who became known as Paul, as an instrument to nurture, challenge and instruct His people.  Saul's greatest attempts at thwarting God's plan did nothing against His mighty power.  Instead, God turned Saul around and used his zeal for the good of God's kingdom.

Many times I have a different plan than God does.  Other times my desires stand in opposition to God's.  I can even stubbornly refuse to submit to what I know to be God's plan out of fear, doubt or pride.  No matter what, God's plan will go forth.  No one can fight against God and win. (2 Chronicles 20:5-6)

God's purpose is not limited by any effort that is contrary to His plan.

Man's Ignorance

He had perhaps the most tragic story in all of history.  In a matter of days, he lost his family, his wealth, and his health.  He went from being the greatest man living in the East (Job 1:3), to one who cursed the day of his birth. (Job 3)  

Job suffered greatly at the hand of Satan at the suggestion of God (Job 1-2).  He didn't know why he had to hurt so much, but He did trust God through it all, saying, "The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." (Job 1:21)  He also said to his wife, "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"  (Job 2:10)

Job did not have the privilege of perfect knowledge and understanding.  He had no clue of the discussion that had taken place between God and Satan.  He didn't know the suffering he was enduring was a test from God and not just some giant cosmic joke.  What he did know is that God is a good God and He is sovereign over all His creation.  He trusted that God knew what he was doing.

My inability to see the truth or understand God's plan does not stop His purpose from going forth.  Just because I'm a little slow and don't get it right away doesn't mean I'm going to hold God back in some way.  Instead, God wins out despite my lack of knowledge and understanding.

In the end, Job did not turn away from God but stayed faithful to Him.  As a result, God blessed the latter years of his life even more than he did the former.  (Job 42:12-13)   In the same way I can trust God's plan no matter how things look at this time.  It may seem all is lost, but God is at the helm of the ship of my life.

Even though I'm struggling with a lack of money, God is still on the throne.  Despite the fact that I can't understand why my health is so poor, God is still on the throne.  Notwithstanding all the family problems I'm going through, God is still on the throne.

God's purpose is not limited by my inability to understand my circumstances.


God is unstoppable.  Whatever is His plan, it will go forth despite my weaknesses, effort contrary to His purpose, or my ignorance.  God's purpose will prevail.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God even when things seem to be falling apart.

How do I work against God?

When do I doubt God's ability to overcome my frailties?


2 comments:

  1. Holy moly did I need that! I was feeling down about some stuff and reading that gives me peace knowing I can trust in God.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to hear the truth on a regular basis! I'm glad God encouraged you with this devotional.

      Delete