The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Shower of Blessing

"During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia
standing and begging him,
'Come over to Macedonia and help us.'
After Paul had seen the vision,
we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia,
concluding that God had called us
to preach the gospel to them."
Acts 16:9-10



My husband and I have been married for 24 years.  When I was first getting to know him, he would sometimes tell me things he wanted to do, but would phrase it as if he were going to do it.  For instance, we talked on the phone a lot during those first few months.  Being a poor college student, I mentioned to him that my phone bill was more than I could handle with my limited means.  He began talking about how he should pick up part of the tab since he was benefiting so much from our conversations and that he would be getting paid soon so he should be able to help.  I concluded that he would help me pay my bill, breathing a sigh of relief. 

When it came time to pay the bill, I reminded him of his offer to help and he said he wouldn't be able to pitch in any money at that time.  I was ticked off, to say the least and that started our first real argument.  What I didn't realize was that his optimistic, hopeful way of thinking sometimes leads him to unintentionally mislead others.  To make matters worse, I had inferred from his words speaking of a desire to help the he was actually making a commitment to help.  

My husband now practices the art of being careful not to voice wishes or desires as if they are plans for future action and I try not to take his desires and transfer them into certainties.

Much of communication takes place not just through my words but in learning to read what is going on behind the words.  In my relationship with God, the closer I get to Him the more I sense His lead.  Sometimes, His guidance is not a definite command or order, but rather a need or dilemma presented as an option to get involved.  It's up to me to pay attention to His message and reach a conclusion intuitively and then act on it, leaving all doubt behind.  In other words, when God reveals a need or struggle occurring elsewhere, it may not just be information for my knowledge: It may be a call to action.

Prayer

I read a story about a woman who walked in on a burglar who was in the process of stealing her valuables.  He ripped the phone cord out of the wall and ordered her into a closet. She dropped to her knees and asked the intruder if she could pray for him.  "I want you to know that God loves you and I forgive you," she said.

The thief then apologized for what he had done, called his accomplice to come in from the pick-up parked in front of the house.  They returned all the furniture they had taken, going so far as to remove the bullets from his gun and hand the weapon over to her before he walked out the door.  Praying for our enemies can disarm even the most hardened criminal.

James said that, "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (James 5:16)  Jesus taught us to pray not only for our enemies, but also for those who persecute us. (Matthew 5:44)    

Presenting unsolvable problems, difficult emotions and impossible situations to our Father opens up His work in the lives of those who are suffering.  Prayer is like a portal that opens to let God's Spirit in, giving Him permission to enter into a situation.

Prayer is not a formula or chant where specific words said in a certain order with the correct attitude will bring about the desired result.  Instead, it is communicating a faith in the God who can do all things that I am placing all my eggs in His basket, allowing Him to give me the solution He desires for my life and the lives around me.  

When I submit myself to God in this way, interceding for others who are facing difficulties, amazing things will happen.  Hearts will open to receive the truth of the Gospel, families will be transformed and lives will be changed.  A humble prayer to a mighty God is a powerful act.

When God brings a person to my mind, I can choose to pray for them, opening up the floodgates of heaven.

Sacrifice

The letter came, asking for an extra donation.  The missionary family we supported shared a specific need their family faced.  As I read of their plight and the money for which they asked, my mind immediately went to the unexpected check we had received in the mail.  The amount they needed and which my husband and I had received were the same.  I knew in my heart we needed to pass that on to our friends.

As I talked to the Lord about this, I told Him how I thought that extra money was going to go toward a dental procedure all four of our daughters were facing that month.  They each would have their impacted wisdom teeth removed, placing a heavy financial burden on our family.  Instead of going with what made sense to me, though, I sent that check to the missionaries.  

God took care of the dental bill, and the family received the blessing of seeing God provide for their needs.  I, in turn, learned a little something about sacrifice.  

Giving is not always about money, however.  Many times, the most powerful gifts are of my time, talents and spiritual gifts.  When God puts someone in my path who needs to talk, I can decide to ignore the call and finish the tasks I planned for the day, or I can take the time to listen.  If I see a need which I know I have the ability to fulfill, it's my decision whether or not I get involved.  For the times that God places a burden for a brother or sister on my heart, I have the choice to use my gifts to build them up or simply continue on with my day.

Being available to be used by God is my spiritual act of worship.  (Romans 12:1)

Choosing to take God's promptings as a call to action means I'll make a sacrifice that will result in blessing.

Preach

Not all of us are preachers.  My pastor is a wonderful preacher and teacher who dispenses the cold, hard truth in love.  I always come away from his sermons feeling a sense of encouragement as well as a deep conviction to change.

While I couldn't ever imagine myself standing behind a pulpit, I am called to preach at times.  There are instances when my path crosses with someone who needs to hear the truth.  Perhaps they've been burned one too many times in a church.  Or it could be that they've never set foot through the doors of a place of worship.  Other times, the person might be living in such a way that they think they could never get right with God.

Whatever the reason, there are times when the gospel must be preached.  When I see a need, it's up to me to open my mouth and let God's Spirit speak.  All He needs is a willing vessel to deliver His message of love, hope and grace.  When I'm available, He'll teach me what to say. (Luke 12:12)

There are many who need the Good News of Jesus Christ but would never set foot into a church.  For those, believers are compelled to share the Gospel. (Matthew 28:19)

God may not come right out and tell me to preach, but I can do so when I perceive an opening.


God doesn't always give direct commands for me to act.  Many times, He provides an opportunity and its up to me to realize the call for action.  Some of the ways I can act are to pray, sacrificially give and preach the truth.  When I take this step of faith, God will provide a shower of blessing.  (Ezekiel 34:26)


As I begin this day, it is my intention to read between the lines and perceive the call God is placing on my life.

How do I ignore opportunities to serve?

When am I afraid to boldly speak the truth of the Gospel in love?


No comments:

Post a Comment