The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Personal Faith

"God did extraordinary miracles through Paul,
so that even handkerchiefs and aprons
that had touched him were taken to the sick,
and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.

Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits
tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus
over those who were demon-possessed.
They would say,
'In the name of Jesus, whom Paul preaches,
I command you to come out.'
Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this.
One day the evil spirit answered them,
'Jesus I know,
and I know about Paul,
but who are you?'
Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all.  He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding."
Acts 19:11-16



The seven sons of Sceva tried to mimic the great works Paul was doing without knowing Jesus for themselves.  The evil spirits recognized their pretense and took advantage of their vulnerability.

There are times when I'm at risk of doing the same thing.  I notice and admire the good things my brothers and sisters are doing and try to generate the same kind of good works.  In so doing, I am not recognizing that those deeds are as a result of God working through them: This I can't fake!

Either I'm led by God's Spirit or I'm following my own common sense and understanding. (Galatians 5:16)

Either I'm acting out of obedience to my Lord and Savior or I'm trying to do what I think is best. (John 14:21)

Either I'm doing as a result of God's love flowing through me or I'm trying to behave in a way that looks loving. (2 Corinthians 5:14)

As Christmas approaches and my mind is preoccupied with many things, may I take some time to focus on my personal relationship with Jesus Christ, letting Him take the lead.  Then I will enjoy the stroll along the quiet waters that bring peace to my soul. (Psalm 23:2)

May this Christmas be a time of wonder and awe as I experience the power of His love working through me.


No comments:

Post a Comment