The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, December 17, 2012

Heed the Warning

"When Silas and Timothy came from Macedonia,
Paul devoted himself exclusively to preaching,
testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ.
But when the Jews opposed Paul and became abusive,
he shook out his clothes in protest and said to them,
'Your blood be on your own heads!
I am clear of my responsibility."
Acts 18:5-6


"If anyone hears the trumpet
but does not take warning
and the sword comes and takes his life,
his blood will be on his own head."
Ezekiel 33:4


I live in a country where the gospel of Jesus Christ is often proclaimed.  Most of us know the basics: Jesus came to the earth in the form of a tiny, helpless baby (Luke 2:11), grew into a man and gave His life as a ransom for many. (Mark 10:45)  Never am I more exposed to Jesus than at Christmastime: churches host living nativity scenes, the truth of the gospel is declared in the form of songs on the radio and re-enactments of His birth play out in dramas and movies.  

The question I must ask myself is this: How do I respond to Jesus?  Scripture is clear that Jesus came to give me the gift of salvation. (Ephesians 2:8)  Do I simply accept, receiving eternal life as promised, or am I called to something more?

I am responsible for the path I choose in life.  If I do things my way, even though I saved from eternal damnation by the blood of Jesus, I will be walking the path that leads to destruction.  Little or no fruit will be the result, turmoil and confusion will rule.  If, however, I choose to follow Jesus, giving up my right to myself, He will lead me down paths of righteousness for His namesake. (Psalm 23:3)  Love and peace will then reign in my heart and I will bear much fruit. (Isaiah 9:7John 15:5)

The Gospel is clear: Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and the life.  He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die." (John 11:25-26)  There is more to consider regarding Jesus, though.  If I truly love Him, not just desire to use Him as a means to gain eternal life, then I will choose to do as He commands.  (John 14:15)

I will love those who are unlovable.  I will forgive even though I'm hurt.  I will live in peace with others even when my rights have been violated.  I will seek to understand even when I don't agree.  I will refrain from judging those who are lost and living a life of destruction.  I will pray for those who hate me.

This Christmas, as I spending time celebrating the coming of Messiah, may His love rule in my heart.  May I decide to do more than just receive His love, but may I let down my defenses and allow His love to change me.  May the grace and mercy of a loving God spur me on to love Jesus in the way I love others.  

This Christmas will I pay attention to the truth of the gospel and make Him more than my Savior?  Will I make Him my Lord? (Romans 10:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment