The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Every Breath

"About that time there arose 
a great disturbance about the Way.
A silversmith named Demetrius,
who made silver shrines of Artemis,
brought in no little business for the craftsmen.
He called them together,
along wit the workmen in related trades,
and said: 'Men, you know we receive a good
income from this business.
And you see and hear how this fellow Paul
has convinced and led astray large numbers of people
here in Ephesus 
and in practically the whole province of Asia.
He says that man-made gods are not gods at all.
There is danger not only that our trade 
will lose its good name,
but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis
will be discredited,
and the goddess herself,
who is worshiped 
throughout the province of Asia
and the world,
will be robbed of her divine majesty.'"
Acts 19:23-27



Demetrius began an uproar based on his own best interest.  He was looking out for the well-being and success of his business, not so much what was good and right, and definitely not what would please God.  In fact, it seems this entrepreneur would not even consider the Gospel of Jesus Christ to be true because he knew that would mean he would have to give up his lucrative trade.

How easy it is to get caught up in a similar way of thinking and making decisions, placing me in the position of working counter to God and His ways.

I decide to take a promotion because it will mean greater wealth and prestige.  I fail, however, to seek God's will, leaving Him out of the equation. (Proverbs 3:6)

I enter into a close relationship with someone because I enjoy her company and I figure I can witness to her about Jesus while I spend time with her.  Sadly though, I do not take into account this friend's Godless mindset and how it would put me at risk for getting sucked into a form of atheism that would lead me away from Jesus. (1 Corinthians 15:33)

I choose entertainment based on popularity and reviews.  Unfortunately, I grieve God when I fail to guard my heart from worldly contamination. (Proverbs 4:23)

Christmas is a busy time of year.  As the big day draws near and my mind tends to lean toward near-panic mode, it is my intention that I turn my heart toward Jesus, spending time worshiping Him in the way I live my life and only doing what He calls me to do.  I can guarantee this will cause me to look different than those around me, but I'll be at peace as I make decisions based on pleasing God instead of making myself happy, comfortable and successful.

Just as the wise men chased the star so they could worship the King of kings, so will I run after Jesus with every breath that I take.

No comments:

Post a Comment