The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Nothing Sweeter

"The Spirit told Philip, 'Go to that chariot and stay near it.'
Then Philip ran up to the chariot and 
heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet.
'Do you understand what you are reading?' Philip asked.
'How can I,' he said,
'unless someone explains it to me?'
So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. . .
Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture 
and told him the good news about Jesus.
As they traveled along the road,
they came to some water and the eunuch said,
'Look, here is water.  Why shouldn't I be baptized?'
. . .and Philip baptized him."
Acts 8:29-31,35-36,38b



I remember riding on a tandem bike with my husband.  He took the front position while I sat in back.  What I didn't realize until after we started riding was that my husband had all the control.  He had the ability to steer and brake while all I could do was sit there and pedal.  My forward vision was also impeded by his body, making my ride an exercise in frustration.  

I learned an important lesson about myself that day: I like to be in control.  When I don't have any power as to where I'm going, how fast I'll get there and when I stop to take a break, I feel helpless and discouraged.

Even though I like to think I'm in control of my life, as well, God is perfectly sovereign. As a follower of Jesus who has been given His Spirit to live within me, I have the very power of God at my disposal.  Either I can take the front position on the bicycle built for two that is my life, or I can let Jesus have that place.  When I do follow His lead, I'll find some interesting things happening in my life.

Direction

There is an interesting team-building game where a partnership of two attempts to negotiate an obstacle course together.  The hitch is that one person is blind-folded.  The other team mate verbally gives instructions to where her partner should go to reach the goal.  

"Take two steps to the right.  Now stop!  Step up about 6 inches to clear the bar that is right in front of you."  If the guide gives poor directions without enough detail, the team won't reach the finish line.  If the blind teammate doesn't follow what she's being told to do, the team won't succeed.  

It's similar with me and Jesus.  I am essentially blind.  I don't know the plan God has for my life (Jeremiah 29:11), I can't see the obstacles that are in my path, and I don't know what's best for me.  These are details I must leave to my sovereign God.

When I do commit to follow Jesus step-by-step, I will find that He gives clear directions.  As I stay rightly related to Him, I'll begin to know which direction He wants me to travel.  My life will take on a sense of purpose and meaning.

What used to seem like pointless, empty drudgery now becomes a God-appointed ministry.  Where I once struggled with where I fit into the scheme of things, I now feel assured of my place in this world.  For all the times I dreaded the work week, now I look forward to seeing all the things that God will do in the days to come.

As I let God's Spirit lead me, I will find He brings direction to my once aimless life.

Opportunity and Power

The Apostle Paul understood from where he received the anointing that enabled him to preach so convincingly.  He knew it wasn't his background, because he once was the enemy of Jesus and even went so far as to persecute the followers of Christ.  He knew he couldn't rely on his formal training, because he learned the good news and immediately started preaching, without any instruction on the ins and outs of the gospel or strategies on sharing the truth.  What Paul did know was that the power of God could transform a life and supernaturally provide what he needed to accomplish the mission to which God had called him.

Paul said, "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on man's wisdom, but on God's power." (1 Corinthians 2:4-5)  If I admire someone who God uses in a mighty way, I must transfer that esteem and appreciation to the indwelling Spirit who equipped that believer.  God can do amazing things through me, as well.  All it takes is my willingness to be used, and faith to let Him have control.

Oswald Chambers, author of My Utmost for His Highest, put it this way: "If in preaching the Gospel you substitute your clear knowledge of the way of salvation for confidence in the power of the Gospel, you hinder people getting to Reality."  I should be careful not to think it's my ability to understand the truth clearly, but rather my reliance on the power of God to convey that truth through me.

God was angered when Moses wouldn't trust Him to deliver His people from slavery as He proclaimed He would through a broken, flawed man.  Moses thought his own weaknesses and failures would get in the way of God doing what He said He would do.  God put things into proper perspective my asking, "Who gave man his mouth?  Who makes him deaf or mute?  Who gives him sight or makes him blind?  Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."  (Exodus 4:11-12)

I am not expected to depend on my own abilities, training, knowledge or strength to do what God is calling me to do.  When He gives direction in my life, I can trust Him to provide the power to accomplish it so that He will receive all the glory.

As I let God's Spirit lead me, I will find He brings opportunity and power to back up His calling.

Fruit

I once inadvertently cut a branch off a Crepe Myrtle bush in my yard.  I was so upset because the plant was loaded with buds that were about to bloom.  I watched that discarded limb, hoping the flowers would still blossom, but instead everything withered until it was nothing more than a dead twig.  There was so much potential, but it could not come to fruition disconnected from the plant.

In the same way, Jesus said we can do nothing apart from Him.  (John 15:5)  When I stay connected to my Lord, letting Him direct me and provide the opportunities and the power needed, then my life will reflect the goodness of God:  Lives will be saved, faith will be awakened, change will come.

All of these good things will occur as a result of the power of God in my life.  There is nothing I can do in my own effort to bear fruit.  I can try to emulate those who walk with Jesus.  I can volunteer for every need that comes available in my church.  I can make an effort to love the unlovable around me.  Until I submit my life to Jesus, however, and keep Him as my Lord as well as my Savior, I have no hope of bearing fruit that will please God.  

As I let God's Spirit lead me, I will find He brings fruit to bear through His supernatural work in my life.


Following Jesus is not about me trying to look like a good Christian.  Instead, its about me bringing my life into submission, giving Him the opportunity to lead me down the path of righteousness for His namesake. (Psalm 23:3)  As I do this, I'll find the Holy Spirit will grant me direction, opportunity to show His power, and fruit that will last in His Kingdom.   It is then that I will see that there is nothing sweeter than deciding to follow Jesus.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can follow Jesus every moment and not get distracted by insecurities or difficulties.

How do I forget the power that I have at my disposal and only concentrate on my weaknesses?

When am I most afraid to step out in faith?  

No comments:

Post a Comment