The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Miraculous Rescue

"So Peter was kept in prison,
but the church was earnestly praying to God for him.
The night before Herod was to bring him to trial,
Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, 
bound with two chains,
and sentries stood guard at the entrance.
Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared
and a light shone in the cell.
He struck Peter on the side and woke him up.
'Quick, get up!'
he said, and the chains fell off Peter's wrists.
Then the angel said to him,
'Put on your clothes and sandals.'
And Peter did so.
'Wrap your cloak around you and follow me,' 
the angel told him.
Peter followed him out of the prison, 
but he had no idea that what the angel was doing was really happening;
he thought he was seeing a vision.
They passed the first and second guards
and came to the iron gate leading to the city.
It opened for them by itself,
and they went through it.
When they had walked the length of one street, 
suddenly the angel left him.
Then Peter came to himself and said,
'Now I know without a doubt that the Lord
sent his angel and rescued me from Herod's clutches
and from everything the Jewish people were anticipating.'"
Acts 12:5-11



The woman's heart was suddenly changed and she gave her husband another chance.
The debt was forgiven, relieving the family from the financial burden and answering many prayers.
The son who had been deeply involved in the occult and addicted to drugs turned his life over to Christ.
The man had always believed there was no God, until God showed up and captured his heart.

God is sovereign, all-powerful, loving, gracious, merciful, just. . .but He is also supernatural.  His character transcends the natural world where everything can be explained by the laws of physics, mathematics, time or other scientific principles.  

When I drop a pencil, for instance, the law of gravity tells me that it will fall toward the ground.  If God so desired, however, He is perfectly able to supersede that rule and stop the pencil in mid-air.  God is not bound by His own creation nor the laws man has written to describe how His creation works.

As a result, there is nothing God cannot do.  As the angel Gabriel told Mary regarding her supernatural conception of the Christ child, "For nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)  This truth impacts my life in a powerful way.  There is no burden too great, no predicament too complicated, no circumstance too great that my God cannot rescue me from it.  God is able to supernaturally intervene in order to deliver me in many ways.

Unshackle

She always believed she was no good.  In her heart, she didn't think she would ever amount to anything.  I can't do any better than what I'm doing now.  I am incapable of rising out of the pit my life has become.  There's no hope for me.

I can relate.  For much of my life, I've struggled with insecurity, a low self-image along with doubt.  Deep down inside, I didn't think I was worth the struggle.  God, however, does think I'm worth a fight, and He pursues me until I surrender my life to Him.  When I do, He begins to supernaturally change the way I think about myself.  He shows me that I am precious in His eyes, created in His image and here for a purpose.  (Zechariah 2:8Genesis 1:27, Psalm 139:13-16,Ephesians 2:10)

As a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, I am infinitely valuable to my Father.  As a sinner who has fallen into all sorts of destructive ways of thinking, the fear, doubt, anger and disappointment land me in a kind of prison.  I am powerless to release myself from these chains of bondage that hold me back from becoming the woman God has created me to be.  Only God can free me from these areas of oppression.

An unshackled woman of God can walk freely in the grace of God, forgiving others as I've been forgiven.  A woman released from bondage can walk boldly into the future, free from fear and doubt.  A liberated woman can walk forward without the burden of anger, resentment or bitterness to weigh me down.  Only God can release me from my shackles by the work of His mighty hand.

God is able to supernaturally intervene in my life, releasing me from the chains that bind me.

Provide Direction

Younger generations of late struggle with a lack of direction or sense of purpose. In short, many young men in this modern age refuse to grow up.  Their mind-set is that of an adolescent where the main focus is of pleasure and avoidance of responsibilities.  So prevalent is this problem that psychologists have dubbed it the, "Peter Pan Syndrome."

While I may not suffer from this syndrome, I do struggle with a lack of direction at times.  There are situations which seem so overwhelming that I don't know how to get out of them.  Which way should I go?  I am in debt up to my ears, my marriage is not what I thought it would be, I am lonely with no deep human connections and my life is shallow and without meaning.

Only God can give me a clear sense of purpose.  I may not know all the steps I need to take, but He will lead me bit-by-bit in the direction that will get me out of the seemingly hopeless situation in which I find myself.

Peter found himself in an impossible predicament.  He was guarded closely by a soldier on either side, bound with two chains and locked inside a prison cell that was guarded by sentries.  What could he possibly do to escape?  It turns out, all he needed to do was follow the clear orders of the angel God sent to bust him out of prison.

While I may not have the privilege of being led by an angel, God does give clear direction through the guidance of His Holy Spirit.  When I listen for Him, I'll sense His leadership as He guides me through my day and the difficulties I encounter.  As a result, the insurmountable pile of debt will suddenly seem less of a threat.  Hope will appear in the midst of what had seemed impossible.  Friendships will be forged where once there were none and my life will take on great significance.

God is able to supernaturally intervene in my life, providing direction down the path He has for me.

Grant Freedom

She wasn't sure if she was good enough to make it into heaven so she did all she could to prove her allegiance to God.  She passed out tracts explaining the gospel to all she met.  She tried to do at least one good deed every day.  She looked for ways to help others.  Still, she was afraid she wouldn't measure up.

When I follow Jesus, His yoke is easy and His burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)   He doesn't expect me to constantly follow all the rules in the Bible, keeping a list in my back pocket for easy reference.  Instead, He wants me to follow Him. (John 15:5-8)  In so doing, I will not break any of the rules in the Bible and I will please God.  (Galatians 5:18)

Then I will be free of the burden of trying to be good enough.  The truth is this: no one who ever lived was good enough to make it into heaven based on their own merit.  (Romans 3:23)  My only hope of entering into a relationship with God and to live with Him forever is to accept the free gift of salvation that comes through faith in Jesus Christ. (Acts 8:12)  Jesus took the punishment that was meant for my sin; for all the times I fell short of God's standard.  Because of His sacrifice, I am free from eternal death, and instead have eternal life to look forward to.

Due to this unimaginable gift, I am not only free from trying to earn God's love, but I am also liberated of the hold that sin has on me.  I am no longer bound to do as my nature dictates. (Romans 6:18)  When anger rises within, I have the option of letting God dispense justice so I can walk in peace.  For the times when I'm tempted to worry, I have the option of trusting God to take care of my needs.  As lust for an attractive man coaxes me to take another look, I have the option of submitting myself to God and the commitment I made to my husband.  The blood of Jesus gives me power over sin.

God is able to supernaturally intervene in my life, granting me freedom from earning salvation and the power of sin in my life.


There are many situations I face in my life that seem impossible.  With God, the supernatural Being to whom nothing is impossible, I can be released from the shackles that tie me down, receive direction to escape a hopeless situation, and accept freedom that I otherwise would never experience.  Only God is able to accomplish these kinds of miraculous rescues.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can walk in the light where Jesus is.

What impossible situation do I face without giving God a chance to work?

When do I feel hopeless instead of asking the supernatural God for help? 


No comments:

Post a Comment