The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pursue God's Heart

After removing Saul,
he made David their king.
He testified concerning him:
'I have found David son of Jesse 
a man after my own heart;
he will do everything I want him to do.'"
Acts 13:22



The nine-foot giant terrified every soldier, bellowing intimidating threats towards the army of God.  "C'mon.  Send me one of your men, worthy and experienced who can give me a run for my money.  I'm looking for a challenge.  Have you no one to accept my dare?  Have you no honor?"

The men of Israel looked around at each other, terrified.  "Who is stupid enough to take on this behemoth of a fighting machine?  Not me!"

The taunting and intimidation went on for forty days while the soldiers cowered in fear.  Finally a mere shepherd boy who had come to bring his older soldier-brothers some food, stepped forward to take on the challenge of the giant bully.  "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.  This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head.  Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel.  All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give all you into our hands." (1 Samuel 17:45-47)

One thing I can say about David is he sure had nerve.  What made a lowly field hand, a measly boy, think he could take on such a seasoned soldier?  It was his heart.  There was something about David's heart that set him apart from all the other men of Israel.  Anyone who possesses these special qualities is pursuing God's own heart, just like David.

Pure Motives

I don't like to admit when I'm wrong.  Somehow, I feel like I'm diminishing myself in some way; as if in making this confession that I am announcing that I'm less of a person.  In a way, I guess that is true.  Coming to terms with my own sinful nature and my need for Jesus in becoming more than a conqueror is key to getting closer to God and living authentically with Him.  (Romans 8:37, 1 Corinthians 15:57)  I have learned that I can't both please God and hold onto my pride.

In this way, David was well aware of his sin.  This is never more painfully evident than after Nathan, the prophet, confronted him regarding the murder and adultery David committed while pursuing Bathsheba.  Once the realization hit David, and his prideful front was dropped, he cried out, "I have sinned against the LORD." (2 Samuel 12:13)

David was no longer concerned with his own desires, his schemes, or his kingly position.  Instead, he bared his soul before the One whom he had offended and put himself in the hands of the Lord, knowing God would justly give him whatever punishment he deserved. (Psalm 51:3-4)

There are many times when I'm caught in a sin and I try to justify my actions, make excuses for my behavior or give reasons for my attitude.  If, instead, I could see my sin as an affront to God, I could live more authentically with Him.  All pretenses would be dropped and I could honestly live before Him, knowing that my one desire is to draw closer to God, not to defend myself or make sure I'm taken care of.

British Bible teacher and speaker Oswald Chambers said, "God wants to bring you into union with Himself, but unless you are willing to give up your right to yourself He cannot."  Letting go of all drive toward self-promotion, self-preservation and self-gratification leaves me able to let Jesus be Lord of my life.

I pursue God's heart when I rid my heart of everything selfish and purely focus on pleasing Him.

Obedience

I volunteer with the Homeowner's Association in my neighborhood.  If I need some help, I tend to ask those who I know will do what I ask and follow through with completing the task.  If a person has a poor track record and doesn't usually fulfill a job, I won't ask them again but rather give the assignment to someone who I know will get the job done.

In the same way, God knows whether He can trust me to do what He has asked of me.  David could be trusted by God to obey him.  Even though David didn't always pay attention to what God said to do, such as when Uzzah was struck down for touching the ark of the covenant when David had it transported like a common idol on a cart pulled by oxen, God could count on David to eventually come around and get it right.  (2 Samuel 6)

There are many times when I try to do something good, but I don't give a thought to God and His will.  Instead, I go about trying to please God in my own way, using my own understanding.  I think, if I volunteer more in the church then He'll be happy with my service.  Or I mistakenly believe that the more I do to help others, the more pleased He will be.  Other times I get caught up in the false belief that building a resume filled with important ministries will impress God.

God does not look at things the same way I do.  He is not a CEO interviewing for an important position in His company, looking for training, experience and references.  Instead, He looks at my heart and knows if I'll obey.  Willingness to do as God has asked is key to pleasing Him. As nineteenth century American evangelist D.L. Moody said, "There are many of us who are willing to do great things for the Lord, but few of us are willing to do little things."

I pursue God's heart when I am willing to do whatever the Lord asks of me.

Belief in God's Power

I am one of the most insecure people I know.  As a teenager, I briefly held a job as a life guard at a water park.  It didn't take long for me to realize that I was too indecisive for such a position.  When disaster strikes, a swimmer in trouble needs a clear-thinking, fast-acting savior, not a hesitant, uncertain wanna-be.  Consequently, I found another job for that summer.

This reminds me of how I should be with God.  Not so much that I should be confident in my ability to do the right thing, have the correct answer, or proclaim the godly message at just the right time, but that I know how mighty and powerful God is.  When I put my full trust in God, I won't hesitate to act when the time comes.  Instead of wavering, I'll jump into action.

A person after God's own heart is not perfect, well-trained, nor experienced.  Rather, those who are going after what pleases God believe God can do anything, in spite of human frailties. 

When David stood before Goliath, he didn't draw confidence from his own ability to fight or even hurl a stone with accuracy.  He did have skills with a sling, but his courage came from knowing that God would fight the battle for him, just as He had done many times before when David faced lions who threatened his sheep.  David believed in the power of God.

Maybe if Moses had been able to see David's example before he encountered the burning bush, he wouldn't have been so hesitant.  Instead, he kept asking God for reassurance in the mission Moses was called to in delivering His people from slavery.  Finally, God reminded Him of who would go with him.  "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind?  Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." (Exodus 4:11)

Moses still faltered, angering God who ended up appointing his brother, Aaron, as the mouthpiece for Moses.  His insecurities kept him from fully witnessing God's power working through him in the way God intended.  Instead, he had to settle for watching God's words flow from his brother's mouth.

I miss out on God's hand working through me when my insecurities keep me from trusting God. My weaknesses are not too much for God to overcome.  Trusting God despite my flaws pleases Him.

I pursue God's heart when I obey despite the overwhelming evidence of my own inadequacies.


David was not without sin, perfectly obedient or free from flaws.  Instead, his motives were pure in that he was willing to repent, he was ready to do as the Lord asked of him, and he believed God could overcome his own weaknesses.  In short, David was a man in pursuit of God's own heart.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can look beyond my weaknesses and trust in God alone.

When do I fail to obey because I'm afraid I'll mess things up?

How do I show my lack of trust in God by caving into my own insecurities?

No comments:

Post a Comment