The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Been With Jesus

"'Salvation is found in no one else,
for there is no other name under heaven
given to men by which we must be saved.'
When they saw the courage of Peter and John
and realized that they were
 unschooled,
ordinary men,
they were astonished
and they took note that these men had been with Jesus."
Acts 4:12-13



Peter and John were ordinary fishermen; men who earned their living by the labor of their hands and the brawn of their backs.  Fishing was a profitable industry, but not glamorous or enviable by any means.  These men were called by Jesus to be His disciples.  They spent time with Him, learning from Him and growing to love Him.  When Jesus returned to heaven to sit at the right hand of God the Father, they received His Spirit as a comforter, counselor and guide. (Acts 2:38-39

God's Spirit does more than just make me feel assured of my salvation, (John 15:26-27) He also gives me what I need to do what He's called me to do.  God does not call the equipped, He equips the called. (Hebrews 13:20-21)  Before Peter and John could realize the power God placed within them, they had to take a step of faith, trusting that God's Spirit would not let them down.  When they did, what they found coming from within them astounded everyone.

Courage

I remember the time one of my daughters stood up to the ice cream man who had just called her sister "fat."  At the age of 6, she respectfully told him that what he had said was not nice and that he should be ashamed that he had hurt her sister's feelings.  Standing up to an adult took courage.

In the same way, Peter and John courageously stood up to the power structure, speaking the unwelcome truth to the rulers, elders and teachers of the law.  They didn't have the authority of any man to speak in such a way to that prestigious group.  I might even call them "cheeky" or "sassy."  It took a lot of nerve to rock the boat in such a way.

There are times when the Holy Spirit gives me courage to speak out against injustice.  Sometimes it could be I'm called to write a letter to the editor of my local paper, taking a stand for Christ.  Other times, I could speak the truth to a professor attempting to undermine God's sovereignty.  Or, God could give me the boldness to speak the truth in love to an outspoken coworker who pushes her atheistic agenda.

God's Spirit equips me with courage to speak up in the face of opposition.

Wisdom

It is said that wisdom comes with age, but God says it starts with a healthy respect and reverence for Him. (Psalm 111:10)  Peter and John were both common men who lacked any kind of formal education.  They were probably able to speak several languages in order to trade fish with the variety of people they dealt with in the marketplace, and they needed a working knowledge of money and trading to succeed in their business, but for the most part they were ordinary, working-class men.

Listening to them reason and lecture, however, the people had a different perspective.  Peter and John spoke as if they were proficient in philosophy, history and the art of deliberation.  They sounded as if they had trained under the best teachers money could buy.  Who were these men?

All those who questioned needed to know was who they had been with. Jesus gave them all the wisdom they needed to discuss deeply theological matters.  It's the same with me.  I don't need to take a special class or receive expert training to certify me as qualified to talk to others about my faith.  All I need is Jesus: He will equip me as I read His word, interpreting it and revealing truth as I trust Him to teach me.  Then, when I'm faced with those who have questions, He'll provide the answers if I rely on Him; His words will flow from me.  (Luke 12:11-12)

God's Spirit equips me with wisdom to speak the truth to a dark world.

Anointing

It's easy to think that someone who does extraordinary things is himself extraordinary.  The truth is, however, that God is the source of all amazing things.  Each of us is capable of doing the same as Moses, Elijah, David or Paul did because it was God who was working through them.  He set them aside for His purposes, using them as a vessel of His Spirit to accomplish His good purposes. (2 Corinthians 4:6-7)

Peter and John were not special or different than you or me.  The only thing enabling them to accomplish such astonishing feats as to leave the Jewish ruling council speechless was God's Spirit.  All He needs is a willing container which He can fill with His power.  If I submit to Him and allow Him to use me, I'll witness astounding deeds that only can be attributed to God.

I'll be able to speak clearly even though I stutter.  I'll suddenly lose my aversion to children and draw them to Jesus as if I were some kind of modern-day Pied Piper even though I never thought of being a teacher.  I'll gain a new appreciation for God's Word and a heart for those who desire to know and understand God's ways even though I never did well in school.  In short, when I trust in God, He'll set me aside for the work He's prepared for me to do.

God's Spirit equips me with an anointing to accomplish His purpose for my life.


Peter and John stood out as extraordinary even though they were ordinary fishermen.  In the same way, when I trust in Jesus as Lord of my life, He'll give me courage to do the impossible, wisdom beyond my education level, and an anointing that enables me to walk the path He has for me.  If I've been with Jesus, He'll call me, and then He'll equip me.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to give me what I need to accomplish His purposes for my life.

How do I doubt what God can do in my life by hesitating to step out in faith?

When do I fear my lack of training will hold me back from doing what God has put in my heart to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment