The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Power of Truth

"On hearing it,
many of his disciples said,
'This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"
. . .From this time many of his disciples
turned back and no longer followed him."
John 6:60 & 66



His message was popular and spread like wildfire.  Soon, everyone in the country was talking about his plan to bring the nation back to it's former greatness.  It seemed like a positive step, so they elected Barack Obama to the position of President of the United States.  

In contrast, Jesus did not campaign, talk about His policies or tell people what they wanted to hear.  His goal was not to win an election, but to obey His Father's will.  He came to free people from the bondage of sin by dying a criminal's death on a cross.  

The message Jesus taught was intriguing, drawing those who belonged to Him but enraging those who did not know the Father. (John 8:19)  Many people followed Jesus wherever He went, but later fell away when they heard the purpose of His ministry: reconciliation of man's relationship with God through His death.

Jesus was not here to build a following or win a popularity contest.  In the same way, as a disciple of the One who called Himself "the Truth," (John 14:6) I should not be concerned with my acceptance by others.  Jesus warned us that, "If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.  As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.  That is why the world hates you." (John 15:19)

Following Jesus means the power of Truth in my life will work to divide, save and discern.  Living my life to please Him will not be a life of ease and luxury, but it will be a life filled with joy, peace and love.

Truth Divides

Country singer Johnny Cash accepted Jesus as His Savior after a failed suicide attempt in 1968.  He went on to experience a resurgence in his success as an artist and thus gained a platform for the message of the gospel through song.  He is known to have said, "How well I have learned that there is no fence to sit on between heaven and hell.  There is a deep, wide gulf, a chasm, and in that chasm is no place for any man."*

There is no fence-sitting when it comes to Jesus.  He came bearing a sword, not an olive leaf. (Matthew 10:34) He became the stumbling stone which came between men and their salvation.   (Isaiah 8:14)  Either you love Jesus, or hate Him; you're for Him, or against Him; you're saved by Him, or reject His message of salvation.  (Matthew 12:30)

When the Holy Spirit spoke to the people through Peter, He said, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)

If I am going to follow Jesus, I cannot compromise on the Truth as He has revealed it to me in His Word.  Even though it seems harsh in this time of tolerance to say that Jesus is the only way, it is the Truth, and those who are drawn by God will accept the Truth.  (John 6:44)  I can be encouraged by those who came before me to speak the Truth in love. (Ephesians 4:15)

The Truth will not win me a popularity contest, but will divide the believers from the unbelievers.

Truth Saves

I have tried to live my life based on a lie.  I used to think if I could try to be a pretty good person, then I'd be accepted by God.  I thought I was a good person compared to a lot of other people I saw.  I didn't go out and get drunk, I did well in school, I was nice to people (at least to their face), I didn't intentionally hurt others.  You know; I was pretty good!

The problem with this lie is that it keeps me in bondage to my own efforts as well as to the standard I am using.  I must constantly be aware of where I stand on the "good scale".  Then, if I do something that is deemed really bad, I'm out of luck.  I've tarnished my image.  Either I lose hope, or try to be extra good in the future to make up for the naughty act I committed.

The Truth, however, says that all of mankind sins.  It also says God holds the standard for my life and His benchmark is perfection.  This Truth also tells me that every time I fall short, that is sin.  Sin could be a thought, a word, an action or an attitude.  Sin also is my nature:  In other words, I cannot help but sin because it's who I am.

Looking at my life in the light of that Truth, I find my efforts to be in vain.  Who am I kidding?  I could never hope to be perfect!  Thankfully, this Truth also tells me that there is a solution to my sin problem, and His name is Jesus Christ.  Out of God's great love for me, He sent Jesus to take my punishment for the sins I have and will commit.  Because of His sacrificial death, I am saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.  In accepting His gift of saving me from certain death as a punishment for my sins, I am free from living the lie I used to live.

Now I am free to live my life in relationship with a perfect God who loves me.  As I walk with Him through the day, He leads me down paths of righteousness for His namesake instead of down paths of wickedness on which my natural self wants to travel.  (Galatians 5:16-18)

The Truth will not give me an easy life, but it will set me free from the law of sin and death so I can live the way I was created to live in relationship with God.

Truth Discerns

One of the things I've noticed about getting older is that I think a lot more about the legacy I'll leave.  What difference have I made in the world?  How will people remember me?  Am I doing anything of eternal value in this temporary dwelling place?

As a believer in Christ, I can't just mark time while I wait for Jesus to return.  It would be easy just to hunker down and enjoy my time with Him as I wait in peace and seclusion for His return.  The problem is, Jesus Himself spoke harshly about those who do not use the gifts, talents and resources God has so generously given to do something which has eternal value. (Matthew 25:14-30)

Before Jesus left, one of His most powerful directives was what we now call "The Great Commission."  Jesus said, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:19)

The question I must ask myself daily is, "Who is God placing in my path that needs to hear the Gospel?"  Another thought is, "Who is God positioning in my life so that I can disciple them?"  We all are missionaries and mentors.  I may feel I'm not qualified to evangelize or come alongside a new believer and teach them the basics but it's not about my own abilities.  

The Truth I must remember is that God's Spirit dwells within me and works to guide me and supply the words I need to spread the message He has called me to tell. (Luke 12:11-12)  It is not based on my own preparation, other than to be in a right relationship with Him.  As I follow His lead, I will find that He will equip me to share the Gospel and disciple others.

The Truth will not keep me where I'm comfortable, but it will turn me loose to be a mouthpiece unto salvation for all those who will listen.


As a follower of Christ, I must expect to receive the same treatment He did.  I should not expect the world to accept me, to live my life based on a lie, or to be able to fit in with everyone else.  Instead, I can expect that the Truth divides believers from nonbelievers, saves me from the futility of living based on my own standards, and discerns the ones who truly take His teachings seriously from those who are just posers.  The power of the truth will alter the landscape of my life from here on out.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can stick to the Truth, the whole Truth, and nothing but the Truth, so help me God.

When am I more concerned with pleasing others than in saying what's true?

How can I live my life as a testimony to the love of God?











No comments:

Post a Comment