The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

My Agenda

"After the people saw the miraculous sign that Jesus did,
they began to say,
'Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.'
Jesus, knowing that they intended to come
and make him king by force,
withdrew again to a mountain by himself."
John 6:14-15



It's election season and I am inundated with political ads coming at me through my phone, in the newspaper, on the Internet and through the television.  Every candidate portrays themselves as the best possible choice, extolling their virtues, relevant experiences and productive record.  Everything a candidate says is colored by their agenda: First to get elected into office, then to accomplish certain tasks according to their beliefs and convictions.

I'm not a politician, but I have a few things in common with them.  I have an agenda, or certain things that I want out of life and I also tend to portray myself in the best possible light, hoping to garner the support of others.

I have my own expectation of how things should work, but God's plan rarely lines up with my agenda.  If I truly want Jesus to have lordship over my life, I'll need to line up my ways with His ways and let Him lead.

How to Live

Looking through my high school yearbook, I noted the following goals of the seniors who were about to embark on the journey of adulthood.  
"Get a job, make lots of money and take life one day at a time."
"Go to college, become a veterinarian, buy a Ferrari, find a gorgeous hunk, get married and have a romping time!"
"Get rich, get married, have babies and live happily ever after."
"To succeed in whatever I do."
"Move to Hawaii and become a beach bum."

Likewise, most of my goals in life are based on my own agenda.  I tend to make plans according to what will give me wealth, comfort and success.  I don't naturally drift toward poverty, struggles and failure, and in fact do whatever I can to avoid them.  If it were up to me I'd have enough money to never give me a reason to worry about expenses, enjoy good health all of my days and succeed in all my endeavors.  

God, however, is more concerned with my character than my comfort.  He is all about the inclinations of my heart and not at all about the ease of my circumstances.  God would rather I obey Him and live in poverty with a slew of failed business attempts behind me than for me to be a billion-dollar entrepreneur who never thinks of Him.

My agenda says to live a life of prosperity of health, wealth and family while God's idea of success concerns how my faith glorifies Him.

Use my Resources

I'll never forget a friend of mine who unwittingly taught me a lesson in generosity simply by sharing a bag of flour.  She had recently bought quite a few 5-pound bags of flour at a clearance sale where she paid 50 cents for each bag.  Her pantry was filled with bounty!  Instead of saving all the bags for herself, though, she willingly shared with me and her other friends.  

At the time, I remember thinking, I would have never thought to give the stuff away!  I would have been thankful that God had provided for my family in such a practical way and that I wouldn't have to buy flour for a year.  This got me to thinking about the things He has given to me.  Maybe everything I have was not meant for me but for someone else who is more in need than I.

My pastor says I should hold things with an open hand, being ready to give my belongings away as soon as the Holy Spirit prompts me to do so.  Unfortunately, I usually end up clutching my stuff with an iron grip.  I grow attached to the books on my shelf, the way my furniture looks in my living room, or in the comfort and convenience of my vehicle.  

In God's kingdom, however, everything belongs to God and has been entrusted into my care.  The way I handle the property, relationships and gifts He gives me says everything about where my priority lies.  If I refuse to help out a single mom who lost everything in a fire because I'm afraid to let go of some of the abundance I own, then I'm only concerned with me.

If I neglect the widow who can't feed her children because I don't want my family to find less food to choose from when they open the cupboard, then my agenda is more important than showing the love of God.

If I steer away from a fellow believer with a jaded past because I'm afraid to be seen with her, then my reputation is more important than encouraging her. 

Letting go of my agenda that is concerned with using my resources to only benefit me will result in the compassion of God ruling my life.

Company I Keep

I recently read a story of the Pied Piper who came into a town during the 13th Century and led all the children away to their demise by simply playing a fife.  It reminds me of how simple it is for me to get led away by someone who does not have my best interest at heart, but also how easily others can follow me.  The question is, what message am I delivering and where am I leading them?

Sometimes, I'm lured into a belief system that sounds like what I believe, but then I find out that there are all sorts of requirements that raise my suspicion.  Other times, my desire to lead a meaningful life drives me toward people who need "saving" and my goal becomes to build a following.  Many times, I only choose to hang around those who make me feel good about myself or with whom I feel comfortable.

In this way I am isolating myself from the very ones with whom God is drawing toward Him or who could humble and teach me.  Instead of being a lighthouse to guide the way of the lost to the Son, I am only focused on what feels good to me.  In looking out for my own reputation, I forsake the broken.  In tending to my own pleasure, I am veering away from those who are difficult to be around.

When choosing who I pursue, my highest consideration is to God and His plan.  If He brings someone prickly and challenging into my life, I can bank on the fact that she needs the love of God and can teach me something about compassion.  If a pregnant teen draws my attention, I can choose to pass right on by or spend some time giving her the encouragement of Christ.  If the grieving mother who turns to alcohol for comfort comes to my attention, I have the option of choosing what's best for me or what will most please God.

In order to give up my agenda, I'll need to make it a priority to spend time those whom God has placed in my path.


I have to admit that I do have an agenda, and that plan is all about me: my comfort, my success and my pleasure.  When I drop my agenda and adopt God's, I'll find that my life will never be the same.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will look closely at my life and consider where my agenda strays from God's.

When do I make decisions based on what's best for me instead of consulting God?

How has my relationship with God suffered because I'm afraid to step outside of my comfort zone?

No comments:

Post a Comment