The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Evidence of Faith

"The Jews replied,
'It has taken forty-six years to build this temple,
and you are going to raise it in three days?'
But the temple he had spoken of was his body.
After he was raised from the dead,
his disciples recalled what he had said.
Then they believed the Scripture 
and the words that Jesus had spoken."
John 2:20-22


When a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it still make a sound?
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Why am I here?
Some questions makes us think.  Others stimulate deep reflection and inner scrutiny.  One such question is, "What is faith?"  We know the definition of faith as given in Hebrews 11:1.  "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

But how do I know if my faith is real?  I do believe that God is in control of all things and that He directs my footsteps when I submit myself to Him, but how do I know my faith is authentic and not just so many words?  Where is the evidence?

Jesus often said, "Oh you of little faith" to those who knew him best: His disciples.  He said it when they were in the boat tossed around by the waves, (Matthew 8:26) when Peter walked on the water but then began to sink (Matthew 14:31), and when the disciples didn't understand Jesus' warning of the dangers of believing in the Pharisee's teachings (Matthew 16:8).  The disciples knew Jesus, trusted Him enough to leave their livelihoods and follow Him, yet were told their faith was lacking. 

The proof that my faith is real is manifested in my actions, not my words.  Faith without works is dead.  (James 2:17)  I show that my faith is real by what I do, not what I say or believe.  If I truly trust God, my life will look different that those whose faith is not authentic.

Obedience without Foresight

He gathered the materials according to the detailed blueprint.  His whole family joined in the project, working together to accomplish the mission.  The structure was massive and garnered the attention of many.
"Watcha' building, huh?  Some kind of boat?  I hate to tell you, but there's no water for miles around!  What a fool!"
The rumors spread. "He's crazy!  Have you heard about his wife?  She's as loony as he is!  She must be to put up with that mess.  Whose ever heard of such a thing?"
Years past by and the man grew older, but the ridicule never ended.  He was tempted to doubt, wondering if God really knew what He was talking about.  What is the plan?  A hundred years have gone by and I've never seen a drop of rain.  What if I was wrong and God didn't really tell me to build an ark?  
Still, Noah stayed faithful and obeyed despite his lack of understanding, his narrow vision, and shortsightedness.  He didn't know how it would all turn out, but he trusted that God knew.  But he didn't let his faith stop at words or beliefs.  Instead, he turned them into action in the form of obedience.

God is calling me to do something. He has put a burden on my heart for a hurting person or group of people.  He has convicted me of an area of sin.  He has prompted me to turn a corner and begin a new thing.  What I do next tells me everything I need to know about the validity of my faith.

If I reach out to comfort and encourage without knowing how I'll be received, my faith is real.  If I turn away from that sin despite my flesh fighting against that decision, my faith is true.  If I take a risk and step into the light of the new thing God is doing, my faith is authentic.

The proof that my faith exists is revealed in my willingness to obey without knowing the details, seeing the big picture, or perceiving the outcome.

Perseverance despite Discouragement

Won't these people ever get it?  They are a hard-headed bunch!  They have seen God deliver them, save them and provide for them, yet they refuse to stay true to God.  Why do I even try?

Moses was the one called to lead the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt and through a journey that included 40 years of wandering in the desert.  He was considered to be a friend of God  (Exodus 33:11), but did not get to see the promised land because of his disobedience on the occasion of drawing water from the rock of Meribah.(Numbers 20:12)

Moses kept faithful to God throughout years of complaining, bickering and grumbling.  Even when it seemed no one else cared, Moses continued pointing people to God.  It must have been discouraging to be surrounded by people just like you and me!  I am easily drawn into negative thinking about my circumstances.

When I am working on a mission or project, I am easily discouraged by a lack of results.  Maybe that's why I like mowing the lawn.  As I circle around the yard, I see the effect of my effort: The grass begins to look neat and trimmed.  But life in general is not this way.  I clean the dishes only to turn around for a moment and find another sink-full of soiled plates and cups.  I teach a lesson only to have to reinforce it again and again, wondering if the young mind will ever absorb the message.  I fill the tank up with gas only to see the needle move toward empty a few days later. Does anything I ever do stay done?

I can take heart and remember that God is at work even when I can't see the evidence.  When He places me in a position, no matter how small or inconsequential it may seem, it means a lot to God.  Keeping my eyes on Him when everything around me seems hopeless is proof of that my faith is genuine.

The proof that my faith exists is manifested in my ability to persevere despite the lack of encouraging works, evidence of changed lives, or even a vision of God's greater purpose.

Hopes beyond all Hope

She planned her life.  She desired to live a life pleasing to God, above all things.  Her family had promised her to an upstanding young man.  Then came the news.  She was pregnant.  The angel told her this would happen, but what would everyone say?  How would they treat her?  How could she ever hold her head high again?

Mary was chosen to carry the Christ child.  Despite the fact that she played a pivotal role in history, it came at great sacrifice to her own personal life.  An unmarried  pregnant woman of that time would have been considered to be an outcast.  Mary and Joseph knew the truth of God's plan, but no one else did apart from her cousin Elizabeth.  

The faith of Mary propelled her forward as she hoped against all hope in the One True God and His plan.  Many times my life looks crazy compared to the lives of those around me.  The decisions I make look reckless and foolish.  I seem to be dancing to the beat of my own drummer.

My faith, however, is shown to be real when I follow God's calling even if it makes me look like a fool in my community.  My faith is demonstrated as valid when I stay true to the narrow, rocky path God leads me on even when it passes by the edge of a dangerous precipice.  My faith is shown as authentic when I keep hoping in God's way even when everyone else is going a different direction.

The proof that my faith exists is manifested in my motivation to keep hope alive even when the odds are against me, it's never been done this way before, or I look different than everyone else.


Faith that is real doesn't need evidence.  Instead, faith that is authentic exists despite the lack of miracles, healings or other spectacular feats.  I know that my faith is real only by examining my actions.  When I obey despite the lack of foresight, persevere even though I'm discouraged, and hope beyond all hope, then my actions are proving my faith. This is the evidence of faith.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God despite what I see with my eyes.

How do I trust my senses more than I trust God?

When am I so discouraged that I give up?

No comments:

Post a Comment