The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Just Doin' My Job!

"Suppose one of you had a servant
plowing or looking after sheep.
Would he say to the servant when
 he comes in from the field,
'Come along now and sit down to eat'?
Would he not rather say, 
'Prepare my supper,
get yourself ready 
and wait on me while I eat and drink;
after that you may eat and drink'?
Would he thank the servant because he did
what he was told to do?
So you also,
when you have done everything you were told to do,
should say,
'We are unworthy servants;
we have only done our duty.'"
Luke 17:7-10



One of the worst jobs I ever held was working at a state park as a Ranger's assistant.  I actually enjoyed the position for the most part because I got to spend the whole day outside mowing, picking up litter, and helping with maintenance around the facility.  One of the revolting parts of the job, however, was the task of cleaning the restrooms.  After that summer, I gained a new respect for public bathroom janitors everywhere and to this day I make sure to give them an encouraging word whenever I see them doing their job.

Even though I dreaded that aspect of my job, there was a certain amount of satisfaction that came with cleaning up a disgusting bathroom.  No one ever knew that I was the one who scrubbed, mopped and disinfected, but I didn't do it for the recognition.  Quite frankly, I'd rather do anything else than scrub toilets to gain a little credit.  The only reason I tackled that task was because it was a part of my job description.

As a follower of Christ, I am to humble myself to the position of a servant. (Philippians 2:5-11)  A servant does her job without the expectation of reward or desiring feelings of well being, and with the attitude that serving is a privilege.  My very flesh cries out against this viewpoint, but it is the attitude of servant that Jesus held.  I, too, can carry that same manner when I walk in the light of His Spirit.  (Galatians 5:16-26)

Expectation

I have heard the story of an old man sitting alongside a road outside a certain city.  A traveler stopped to ask what kind of people he could expect inside this metropolitan area.  
"What were the people like where you came from?" The wise man asked.
"Mean, untrustworthy, detestable. . .pretty much a terrible lot."
The old man replied, "You will find them the same in the city ahead."
Soon another traveler stopped and asked the same question.  "What are the people like in this city?"
And the man responded likewise.  "What were they like where you came from?"
"They were fine people; honest, industrious and generous."
"So you will find them in the city ahead."

I do tend to find what I am looking for.  If my selfish fleshly desires rule and guide me as I live my life, I will tend to make decisions that are based on what I want, what will be best for me, and what will get me to where I want to go.  I expect the best, and I will do everything I can to make sure I receive what I think I deserve.

If, however, I let God have the lead as I walk in His Spirit, the choices I make will be based on what He wants, what is best for His kingdom, and what will get me onto His path of righteousness.  In this case, I expect what God chooses as best and will submit to His will for my life.

Taking on the attitude of a servant means I will not go after the rank, prestige or positions that are highly sought by those with a worldly mindset.  Instead, I will do the task that God has placed before me to do, expecting nothing in return.  This does not mean God will not give me good things.  It simply means I won't anticipate reward and use the hope of good things as my motivation.  Operating with this kind of self-centered expectation only leads to disappointment when I inevitably don't receive what I'm looking for.

If I want to have the attitude like that of Christ Jesus I will expect no worldly reward for doing whatever job God has given me to do.

Self-Esteem

I have to admit; it does feel good to do things for others.  Many times, I can feed off that sense of well-being and desire it more and more as my self-confidence grows.  Being needed by others can make me feel important and give me a feeling of purpose and significance.  

The Apostle Paul taught a contradictory teaching to the above sentiment.  Instead of doing that which makes me feel good about myself and my ministry, my driving force should be to obey God's calling on my life.  As I step into the path He has prepared for me, I will develop a passion for the task at hand.  Paul described his call to preach this way;  ". . when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach." (1 Corinthians 9:16)

When I am doing what God has called me to do, no one can stop me.  There is nothing in this world that could keep me from carrying out the mission: I am driven by the force of God's Spirit.  In this way, I will no longer feed off the high that comes from helping or being needed, but will simply go where God is propelling me to go.  Gone will be the hunger for esteem-building or purpose-finding.  All the glory will go to God because He is the one providing the passion, the power, the opportunity and the outcome.  I am simply a vessel.

If I want to have the attitude like that of Christ Jesus I will give God all the recognition by doing only what He calls me to do.

Privilege

Waiting tables has got to be one of the most demanding and least appreciated jobs in the service industry.  Servers receive the brunt of customer's complaints, bearing the burden of attempting to please the patrons assigned to their tables.  The job of a server requires one to, among other things, take orders, field questions, relay messages to the cook, fill orders, refill drinks and basically make sure the dining experience is a pleasant one.  No wonder there is such a high turnover in the serving industry!

Many who hold these jobs only consider it a transitional position: Not many really want to wait tables their whole lives.  Instead, it's a means to an end.  There are, however, some who consider it a privilege to serve others and take delight in meeting the expectations of the diners.

I can take on the attitude like that of these waiters.  They don't have it any easier than the other servers.  The customers they serve are just as demanding and difficult.  The only difference is in the meaning they place on their job; they see it as important.

I, too, could see my present position as vital to the workings of the kingdom.  Instead of feeling like my life has no meaning or significance, I could go before the Lord and talk to Him about the position He has placed me.  As He opens my eyes to the value found in my circumstances and the impact God could have on others through me, my attitude will change.  

Wiping noses suddenly becomes an opportunity to show love to my child.  Cleaning up after someone spilled coffee turns into a chance to demonstrate God's love in my workplace.  Volunteering to pick up litter is transformed into a chance to let the light of Jesus shine throughout my neighborhood.

There are some jobs I would rather not lower myself to do, but in God's kingdom, there are no small jobs and everything done out of obedience to Him is important.

If I want to have the attitude like that of Christ Jesus I will find it a privilege to serve others in any way I can.


It doesn't come naturally for me to think like a servant, but it's possible when I commit myself to God.  He will transform my mind so that I can drop the expectations of receiving a payoff for my efforts and of doing things in order to make myself feel better, and replace those with the idea that its a privilege to serve others.  In this way I will become more and more like Jesus.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stop expecting to receive a benefit from serving.

When am I motivated to act out of a selfish impulse?

How do I consider it an insult to serve instead of an honor?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment