The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Kingdom Within

"Once, having been asked by the Pharisees
when the kingdom of God would come,
Jesus replied,
'The kingdom of God does not come
 with your careful observation,
nor will people say, Here it is,
or There it is,
because the kingdom of God is within you.'"
Luke 17:20-21



The people were angry.  For years the occupying force had oppressed them, forcing them to pay taxes, imposing their own culture upon them, and generally making life unbearable.  Their only hope was found in the Holy Scriptures which prophesied of a coming king, a Messiah who would rescue them from their oppressors. (Isaiah 9) The nation of Israel waited with bated breath for their Savior; the one who would restore their rightful place as God's chosen people.

Kingdoms come and go, as anyone who reads the news well knows.  Those who are broken and demoralized fight for freedom from their persecutors, while those who now enjoy freedom struggle to maintain their liberties.  Humans are quite dependent upon governments to provide security, infrastructure and supportive services.  We tend to look to our leaders as the ones who will solve our problems and supply the life we desire.  

Daniel prophesied about and Jesus taught that the freedom, security and stability found in God's kingdom is already available. (Daniel 2:44, Matthew 4:17)   It's not, however, your usual, everyday kingdom.  Instead, it's a realm I can only see with my spiritual eyes.

It's Here

When we go on a trip, I enjoy looking at the map posted at most rest areas.  Usually, there is a pin or some kind of indicator that says, "You are here."  It's always good to know where I am!

If only it were that easy in my relationship with God.  Sometimes, it seems I'm getting closer to Jesus while other times I feel so far away.  Thankfully, my feelings have nothing to do with reality.  Jesus reminds me that His kingdom is already here and I don't have to wait to walk with Him and experience the benefits of His rule.  If I have made Him Lord of my life, then His kingdom is located within me.  I am a part of the kingdom of God.

God's kingdom is not like an ordinary empire or regime.  It is not visible nor does it possess a physical address or location.  Wherever God's people are located, that is where the kingdom of God can be found.  This realm is like that which is found in heaven, as Jesus reveals in His instructions for how to pray found in Matthew 4:17.  He said to pray, "your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

In heaven we will be in perfect relationship with our Father and His desires will always rule.  As a follower of Jesus in this fallen world, I can still let His will be done as it is in heaven: without opposition.  

When I obey without question, putting aside all fear, doubt and other sin that so easily entangles, I am fully residing in His kingdom here on earth.  When I let the love of God flow through me unhindered, casting away all judgement, irritation and resentment, I am a resident of God's kingdom.  When I place God in the place of utmost importance, downgrading all other priorities to make way for Him, I am hanging out in God's kingdom.

The kingdom of God is not a place, it is a state of being right with God.  No matter where I am located in this physical world filled with pain, suffering, difficulties and strike, the kingdom of God can go with me.

If I want to see God's kingdom, I can get rid of any resistance I may raise against the will of God in my life.

Way of Living

It is always fun to go traveling as a family and one of the most enjoyable parts is when we cross a border.  As we pass by the sign that welcomes us into the state where our final destination is located, our family lets out some cries of excitement.  "Whoop, whoop!  Yay!  Woooo!"  We know we have almost reached our goal.

It is often said that life is about the journey and not the destination, unlike most road trips.  This frame of thought could also be applied to God's kingdom.  It is not a physical location which I can aim for and once I get there, set up residence.  Instead, it could be considered more of a way of living instead of a goal to reach or a target to hit.

When I enter into a relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ, I become a member of His family and find His kingdom to be within me.  As I grow, I learn more and more about how God wants me to live and how I can follow Him step by step in order to please Him.  (Galatians 5:16-18)  God becomes bigger, taking up more of my visual field and my fleshly desires are crucified on the cross, leaving behind the fruit of God's Spirit.  

In God's kingdom, love rules supreme.  Anything else that I do, even if my desire is to please God, means nothing if I don't have love.  I can go to great lengths to prove my devotion to God, but if I don't love those who hate me, cherish my family in the way I treat them, or show compassion to the down and out, then all my efforts are in vain.  (1 Corinthians 13, John 21:15-17)  

If I want to see God's kingdom, all I need do is look for His fruit found in the lives of believers everywhere.

Jesus is King

I know the location of God's kingdom is found with every follower of Christ, and the culture is demonstrated through the production of His fruit, but every country needs a ruler.  Who is my king?

Many times, I am my own leader.  I do what my flesh desires, I make decisions based on my own intellect and common sense, and I try to keep myself as comfortable as possible.  If I am going to dwell in God's Kingdom, however, I must let Jesus be my king.  

Kings are different than an elected official.  Power in these monarchies usually transfers between family members as authority is passed down from one generation to another.  Back in the middle ages, kings had ultimate authority and usually did not consider the well being of their  subjects.  Instead, they were mostly concerned with what they could get out of their position or how they could benefit those they loved.  People, as a rule, were not treated very well.

Living in a position where I am submissive to an ultimate authority like a king, I am in deep trouble if that leader does not have my best interest at heart.  Giving any human that kind of power over me would be scary, to say the least.  Thankfully, its not like that with Jesus.  He does care about me and my well being and works everything, even the bad stuff, together for my good. (Romans 8:28)  His love for me never ends and cannot be lost.  (Romans 8:38-39) That means I can trust Him to rule supremely over me.

Giving Jesus kingship means His reputation matters more to me than mine.  If Jesus is my king, I will do as He bids me to do, even if I don't like it or find it awkward or embarrassing.  Placing Jesus in the place of ultimate authority over me means I will live authentically with Him, not hiding my true feelings, fears or disappointments.

If I want to see God's kingdom, I must make Jesus my king by giving Him authority over every aspect of my life.


God's kingdom is not a place that I can find on a map.  Instead, it can be located in the heart of every believer, can be described as a culture of love, and subjects of His kingdom profess Jesus to be King.  If I am ready to live in God's kingdom, I must repent, for it is near!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I learn to live in God's kingdom here on earth.

When do I act like a resident of the world instead of His kingdom?

How do I betray who my real king is in the choices I make,  in the way I act and the words I say? 

No comments:

Post a Comment