The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Hear for Yourself

"They said to the woman,
'We no longer believe just because of what you said;
now we have heard for ourselves,
and we know that this man really is
the Savior of the world.'"
John 4:42



I remember watching the children's television show Reading Rainbow when my daughters were younger.  Host Levar Burton would introduce child guests who recommended books to the audience with the familiar line, "But you don't have to take my word for it."

It's always good to have a reference of some kind when trying to decide whether or not to take a risk and purchase a new product, read a book, or make an investment.  I am inherently suspicious, so I don't swallow every line that I'm fed.

It is the same with me and Jesus.  I can have all the references in the world, hearing testimony after testimony of how He changed peoples' lives, but until I, "Taste and see that the Lord is good" (Psalm 34:8) I will never truly believe for myself.  My faith with be counterfeit as I rely only on what I've heard from others, not on what He's done for me personally.  

If I want to grow my faith in Jesus Christ I must hear from Him for myself.

Personal

My four daughters grew up in a Christian home.  Their mother and father were both believers and committed to following Him.  The girls heard about the Good News of Jesus Christ from the time they were first able to walk, and they attended church on a regular basis where that message was reinforced.  Because they grew up in a such home, it would have been easy for them to assume they were "in" with God.  

As they matured and grew, though, all four of them went through their own personal experience in which they accepted Jesus Christ as their own personal Savior.  They each had to reach the point of individual realization of their own sinfulness and their need for salvation.  Since they knew from where their help came, they turned to what they knew: Jesus.  

Each of my daughters knew the Bible stories backward and forward, they had knowledge and understanding of why Jesus died on the cross, they believed God existed and that He loved them.  But they needed to begin their own personal relationship with Him and get to know Him for themselves.  Up until then, their faith was only made up of folklore and tradition.  Today, each one of them can say that Jesus is their lifeline.

I can't just rely on the relationship others' have with Jesus and piggy-back my way into the kingdom of God.  Instead, I need to make Him my own Savior, and begin to experience life with Him by my side.

In order to hear from Jesus for myself, I need to make Him my own personal Lord and Savior.

Unique

Middle School is a difficult time in a young person's life.  It is when most kids go through puberty and a period of searching for their identity.  Considering the fact that schools tend to place this age group together in one school, it's no wonder Jr High, as we used to call it, is rife with fads and clicks.  Kids want to fit in with someone and try to mimic those whom they admire.  For this reason, walking into most middle schools is like walking into a clone factory: Most children look the same.

Changing my hair, clothes and behavior may be enough to get me into a certain group as a pubescent youth, but fitting in with God's family is a bit different.  If I want to find my place in the Body of Christ, I will need to learn to accept myself and others as God has individually formed us.

With all of the millions of people ever created, its hard to believe that each of us is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.  It is true, though: I have a different combination of gifts, talents and personality that makes me distinct from everyone else.  

For this reason, I can't expect my relationship with Jesus to be the same as everyone else's.  Some interweave their devotional time throughout the day, while others stick to a morning time to set them on the right path.  A number of believers may be led to take a job in an industry known for its godlessness, while some work in a Christian-friendly environment.  A few can glean a message from Him virtually anywhere, even in secular music, while others are tempted to fall away by listening to anything other than gospel music.  

Since my connection with Jesus is as individual as I am, I must be careful not to mimic others faith, or judge those whose life does not look like mine.  Instead, I am to stay true to what God is calling me to do for my own life and, unless He convicts me to rebuke a brother or sister, leave all judgement to God.  He is the Father of us all and following Him will never lead me into sin.

In order to hear from Jesus myself, I need to cultivate my own unique relationship with Him.

Characteristic

I can recognize the handiwork of a friend because she has her own flavor.  One friend gives good advice, while another never stops by without a little something to share with me.  Others know how to make me laugh, while some get to the heart of the matter.  Each person has their own characteristic style of walking with Christ.

As I grow in my relationship with Him, I start to develop my own unique and personal story.  This testimony is constantly changing and evolving as I see more of His handiwork in my life.  When I tell others what God is doing for me, it will look different than what I hear from them.

This is one of the mysteries of God.  How can He be so big as to create all things, yet so small as to connect intimately and individually with each of His children?  As I walk with Him in this life He has given me, I will begin to learn more and more about Him.  Every new revelation will awaken in me a sense of awe at the greatness of my God.

This attitude of astonishment and respect for God is addressed by Oswald Chambers.  He said, "Faith is the inborn capacity to see God behind everything, the wonder that keeps you an eternal child.  Wonder is the very essence of life.  Beware always of losing the wonder, and the first thing that stops wonder is religious conviction.  Whenever you give a trite testimony, the wonder is gone.  The evidence of salvation is that the sense of wonder is developing."

It is easy for me to go on auto-pilot and discontinue my real and personal everyday walk with a living God.  Instead, I can turn this relationship into tradition and religion; doing ritualistic things that have worked in the past, copying what others are doing, going through the motions.  At this point, God ceases to be up-close and personal and has become far away and aloof.

Carrying a characteristic testimony that is fresh and new each day will come when I'm always connected to the One who is my Source of power, life and adventure!

In order to hear Jesus for myself, I need to develop my own distinguishable testimony through my exclusive experiences with a living God.


There are countless books written on how to develop a deeper faith in God.  This is not a great mystery, however, as the solution lies in my personal relationship with Jesus, my unique experiences with Him and how this all builds into my own characteristic testimony as I tell others of the wonder of God.  Don't, however, take my word for it: Find out for yourself and begin the adventure of a lifetime!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will keep my connection with God through faith in Jesus Christ fresh and new.

How do I fall back on dry, old religion instead of keeping my relationship with God at the forefront of my consciousness?

When am I copying what others do instead of blazing my own path and following God in my own way?


No comments:

Post a Comment