The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

True Wealth

"Whoever can be trusted with very little
can also be trusted with much,
and whoever is dishonest with very little
will also be dishonest with much. 
So if you have not been trustworthy
 in handling worldly wealth,
who will trust you with true riches?
And if you have not been trustworthy
 with someone else's property,
who will give you property of your own?"
Luke 16:10-12




I've met both rich and poor people, young and old, successful and not so much, but one thing I have noticed is there can be content, sold-out-for-Christ believers in all categories.  What makes them completely devoted to their Savior?  Their heart.

David was considered by the Lord to be a man after God's own heart.  (Acts 13:22)  It wasn't because he never sinned, because he did; big time.  (2 Samuel 11)  It wasn't because he was successful in everything he did, because he messed up royally. (2 Samuel 6)  It wasn't because he never doubted, because there were times of great uncertainty. (Psalm 22)  God considered this flawed human to be a man after His own heart because no matter what David did, he always came back to that place where he desired to please God above all other things.

How am I doing in devoting my heart to God?  I have been given little tasks and callings, worldly wealth (compared to the rest of the earth) and people for which to care.  The way I treat these blessings tests the location of my heart.  If I prove to be faithful to God, then He will give me more.  If, however, I doubt, follow my own lead or get caught up in the world, then God will keep me where I am until I come around to His way of thinking.  If I want true wealth, I'll have to pass the tests.

Small Things

Perhaps it started off with a small calling that God placed on my life.  Something like Love Your Family, or Tithe Obediently.  It seems like a little thing, that is, until I'm faced with crucifying on the cross my own selfishness and lack of faith.  Then, I'm afraid to let go of those sins that make me feel at home and comfortable in my own skin.

As I child of God, bought with the blood of Jesus, however, my life is not my own.  When I do let go of the self-centered attitude that rules my life and the feelings of disbelief that plague my faith, I find the Spirit of God there to take their place.  He is working to transform me from the inside out.  In order for this miraculous change to take place, however, I must let go of some rubbish that I consider to be part of my identity.

If I can't do the basic things like putting God first by giving up obsessions no matter how healthy they may seem, then I'm not ready to move onto bigger things.  Several years ago God asked me to give up running.  Now I can't say I was a gifted athlete or anything like that, but jogging was my time by myself to enjoy God and the outdoors.  I also thought of it as a safeguard against weight gain.  When He challenged me to give it up, my first thought was that I'd gain a ton of weight.  My next concern was in missing that daily time of exertion which I considered to be such a big part of my life.

I did, however, decide to turn that idol over to the Lord, and that is what running was to me: An Idol.  Once I let it go I found an instant change in my demeanor.  No longer was I afraid, but I felt empowered.  The numbers on the scale actually went down instead of up, and I gained some valuable time with my daughters as we began walking for an hour each morning.  Obeying God in this area brought about much blessing.

But more than that, my obedience also brought on some larger callings.  He has given me ministries I never dreamed I'd be doing, and responsibilities I didn't think I could handle.  I am, however, accomplishing more than ever because of God's power working through me, to His glory.

What is the little thing God is calling me to do today?  It could be to get rid of a distraction like Facebook, television or some other technology.  Maybe it's to fulfill basic tenets of faith like tithing.  Or perhaps He's calling me to start a small ministry that I may think does not have a wide enough scope.  The way I handle these minor missions today determines what He will give me for tomorrow.

If I want true wealth, I better focus on doing my best in the small things with which God is entrusting me.

Worldly Wealth

Most Americans don't consider themselves to be wealthy, but in contrast with the rest of the world, we are rich.  How do I handle the money and resources with which God has entrusted me?  It is easy to fall into the trap of worrying about how bills will be paid, repairs completed or needs met.  When I spend so much time trying to go after what I require to live on, Jesus said I am acting like a pagan; One who has no God. (Matthew 6:25-34)

A father is entrusted with the job of providing for his family.  He knows what each member's needs are and also keeps track of the timetable in which these needs must be met.  The children do not need to help him do his job.  A good father supplies food, clothing, shelter and other provisions without being asked; He just does it.

In the same way, our Father in heaven knows exactly what I need.  I don't need to list out all the necessities because He has already taken care of them.  Instead, I can pay attention to the work He has placed before me.  

Equally as important is my level of contentment.  When I begin to go after money instead of letting God provide, I am showing my mistrust in His provision.  I can't expect His blessing when my faith is so weak.  (Hebrews 11:6)  There is nothing wrong with making money, but if that is my hearts desire, then I'm being unfaithful to my Father.  

The money with which God has blessed me has also provided me with a lot of possessions.  It's easy to get caught up in my stuff.  Sometimes I think about other things I want to buy when I could be meditating on what God is teaching me this day.  Other times I show my priorities when I won't let someone borrow my belongings for fear of damage or loss.  Many times I'm reluctant to let go of a favorite thing, even if God asks me to give it away.

Money means nothing to God.  It's only valuable to humans.  Although it can be used in a lot of good ways, it can also become a trap.  Jesus said, "No one can serve two masters.  Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other.  You cannot serve both God and Money."  (Matthew 6:24)

The way I handle my wealth reveals the location of my heart.  When I'm ready to give freely, hold my stuff with an open hand, and feel content with what God has provided, then I know money is not my god.

If I want true wealth, I better be ready to show that money or possessions are not more important than God.

Stewardship

Most people say that the most powerful event in their lives is the birth of a child.  There is nothing so humbling as to witness the beginning of a human life.  To see the miracle of procreation is awe-inspiring.

Many times, however, my children can feel more like a burden than a blessing.  God's Word reminds me that, "Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him."  (Psalm 127:3) Turning my thoughts toward the negative when it comes to my offspring only leads to strife and discontent.

A train of thought which helped me get through periods of disgruntlement when raising our four girls was this:  God entrusted these children into the care of my husband and I.  Even though there are tough challenges and I feel frustrated, I know He has a plan in giving me these particular children.  For this reason, I know I can trust Him to bring me through and show me how to successfully complete this mission. 

After I finished this mini-sermon aimed at myself, I would follow-up with questions like, "What does God want me to teach these girls?" and "What is God showing me through this difficulty?"  I can honestly say that parenthood is a monumental challenge.  God is faithful, however, to provide plenty of grace, wisdom and discernment to handle any situation, if only I would trust Him.

The way I treat the children and other people that God has placed in my care shows whether or not I'm ready to move onto a bigger challenge.  Do I want to be a teacher?  Starting with my own family is a wonderful training ground.  Do I think I'm ready to lead a company?  Managing a family is the proving ground needed to prepare me for that task.  Do I desire to go into overseas missions?  Opening my home to those around me in order to share the Gospel is an example of missionary work.

If I want true wealth, I can begin with proving my readiness in the way I tackle the challenges God has placed in my midst.


A heart completely devoted to God is ready to go wherever He calls me.  What if, however, He starts with the small things, tests my handling of my current level of wealth, and checks my management of those He's already placed in my care?  These are all tests that God uses to see if my heart is devoted to Him so He can trust me with true wealth.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can have eyes to see what is truly valuable in God's kingdom.

When do I get caught up in what I don't have instead of trusting in what God does have?

How am I unfaithful with the lives of those He has placed in my care, whether it be children, friends, neighbors or coworkers?

No comments:

Post a Comment