The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Answers from Jesus

"On hearing this,
Pilate asked if the man was a Galilean.
When he learned that Jesus was under Herod's jurisdiction,
he sent him to Herod,
who was also in Jerusalem at that time.

When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased,
because for a long time he had been wanting to see him.
From what he had heard about him,
he hoped to see him perform some miracle.
He plied him with many questions,
but Jesus gave him no answer.
The chief priests and the teachers of the law
were standing there, vehemently accusing him.
Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him.
Dressing him in an elegant robe,
they sent him back to Pilate.
That day Herod and Pilate became friends--before this they had been enemies."
Luke 23:6-12



Sheep are docile and compliant creatures, making them excellent specimen for domestication.     Instinctively, sheep flock together, creating the ideal conditions for herding.  Food is a great motivator for sheep: they'll willingly follow a bucket of grain in the hands of a human in order to receive the reward of a snack.  

When its time to shear sheep, or give them a haircut, the animal is like putty in the handler's hands.  The creature lays their submissively as the farmer flips her over, this way and that, until all the wool is trimmed off with a pair of electric clippers.

Jesus was said to be, ". . . oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth." (Isaiah 53:7)  Jesus compliantly and willingly obeyed His Father's desires.  He knew the plan of salvation for all of mankind included His death on the cross, so He voluntarily accepted His role without complaint or even a word uttered in His own defense.  His innocence mattered not.  God's will is what counted.

As one who has committed my life to Jesus, I am to follow suit.  He knows my heart and perceives the motivation of my thoughts, deeds and words.  If I want to get answers from Jesus, I must not approach Him as Herod did: curious and only concerned with satisfying my own inquisitiveness.  Instead, I can only expect a response if I maintain a genuine desire to repent of my sinful ways and follow Him wholeheartedly.

Sincerity

I always thought it would have been really cool to witness the first miracle that Jesus performed: turning water into wine.  I imagine what it would have been like to see first hand as the scientifically impossible happened, and the servants tried to suppress their surprise.  

His miracle almost reminds me of a magic trick performed as a part of an illusionist's show.  Slight of hand and trickery results in the amazement of the crowd as a rabbit unexpectedly appears, or money borrowed from an audience member vanishes into thin air.  There is no doubt about it, these shows are entertaining.

But Jesus doesn't perform miracles to entertain or amaze the audience.  Instead, He is only revealing a glimpse of His true identity.  After awhile, His followers began to realize that only God could dispense the kind of power it took to heal and create wonders.

Following Jesus only to experience His power in my life is missing the point.  Instead, it should be my desire to know Jesus intimately, not just to witness a miracle or two.  It's easy to get into the pattern of wanting to know what He has done for me lately.  Instead of seeking to understand His ways and grasp His great love, I tend to desire something more selfish.  I want delivery from my troubles, to feel loved and happy, or to experience His power as He works through me.

I remember one of my friends in 7th grade owned a couple of all-terrain vehicles.  We spent hours riding around on trails through the wilderness surrounding her home.  One day she said, "I think you only like me for my three-wheelers."  It was then that I knew I had crossed the line.  I was valuing what I could get out of my friend more than I treasured her.  Nobody wants to feel used.

It's the same with Jesus: All He really wants is for me to desire Him.  There is nothing more that I need.

If I want Jesus to reveal more about Himself to me, I must come to Him sincerely.

Intention

One question any father should ask a potential suitor for his daughter is, "What are your intentions?"  If the young man can answer in such a way as to show his respect for the young lady and that his values reflect those taught in the Bible, then he may have the opportunity to get past the dad.  However, if it's clear that his only goal is to have fun and enjoy a good time, the boy has no chance.

Having a plan is good.  Knowing what that plan is and keeping it always before me is even better.  

Jesus offers many good things: Salvation from eternal death, life abundant and everlasting, a relationship with my Creator, freedom from condemnation and liberty to live authentically.  If my only intention is to gather these benefits for myself, I will never get to know Jesus better.

Instead, I will need to adopt an attitude of repentance and a willingness to change.  Once I accept Jesus as my Savior, I receive all of the above.  After that, though, it's up to me to keep moving toward Him, adopting disciplines like regular prayer and study of His Word.  If my objective is to make less of me so there's more of Him, then I will observe fruit in my life.  If, however, my objective is to continue to live my life in the way I've grown accustomed, I have no hope of ever experiencing greater intimacy with Jesus.

If I want Jesus to reveal more of Himself to me, my intentions must be to repent of my old ways and adopt His ways.

Faith

Hebrews 11 is sometimes labeled the "Hall of Fame of Faith."  Listed on those hallowed pages are the names of men and women who trusted God despite what they saw with their own eyes, heard for themselves and felt to the depth of their souls.  These saints obeyed when it didn't make sense.  They trusted more in the God who created them than in what their logic, good judgement and common sense was telling them.

In order for me to grow in my faith, I have to practice using my faith.  It's similar to my muscles.  If I want them to get stronger, or at least avoid atrophy, I will need to exercise them on a regular basis.  Talking about working out, reading tutorials on how to train and getting familiar with the gym will not accomplish anything in the way of improving my fitness levels.  If I want to get stronger and healthier, I'll need to actually do the exercises.

It's the same with faith.  I can't just talk, read and think about it.  I have to do it!

This means that when I see my money dwindling down at the end of the month, I can trust God to provide and set my worries behind me.  Thinking of God as my Father who will provide what I need without question helps me to go about my day with confidence. (Matthew 6:32)

When the tests come back positive, I can trust God as the giver of life, knowing that He has my best interest at heart.  I can believe without a doubt that good will come out of the days that lie ahead. (Romans 8:28) I can rest in the shadow of His wings. (Psalm 17:8)

When I feel like I can't go on another day, I can trust God to give me the strength to do what I am unable to do.  (Philippians 4:13)

Putting my faith in God demonstrates my love for Him much more than words ever could.

If I want Jesus to reveal more of Himself to me, I must exercise my faith in Him.


Jesus stays silent as a sheep before the sheerer unless He knows the sincerity, intention, and faith of the petitioner.  When I desire Jesus, not just His work in my life; honestly yearn for change; and trust Him enough to place all things in His hands, then He will answer my questions and become a friend.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can relate honestly with Jesus.

How do I desire fruit more than I want His presence in my life?

When am I spending time learning about faith but fail to exercise it?  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment