The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Offensiveness of the Truth

"'I have spoken openly to the world,'
Jesus replied.
'I always taught in synagogues or at the temple,
where all the Jews come together.
I said nothing in secret.
Why question me?
Ask those who heard me.
Surely they know what I said.'
. . .'If I said something wrong,'
Jesus replied,
'testify as to what is wrong.
But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?'"
John 18:21,22,23




They grilled the witness on the stand, sure that she was hiding something.  To her credit, she answered truthfully, telling everything, even if it made her look bad.  By the end of the hearing, the committee had a greater understanding of what happened, making their decision easier.  Despite the fact that the truth damaged the reputation of the witness, her credibility was intact due to her honest testimony.  

Part of living a life of integrity means telling the truth even when it's not popular or flattering.  There are times when I succumb to temptation and do the wrong thing.  Even though I am not proud of those times in my life, it is important that I not hide my indiscretions, acting as though they didn't happen.  God uses even times of sinful behavior for my good once I get back into a right relationship with Him.  My sin is covered by the blood of Jesus, but walking with Him in a close, intimate relationship means I can't have areas of deep, dark secrets in my life.  I must not be afraid to bring it out into the light.

Jesus, on the other hand, has nothing to hide.  He is perfect and without blemish.  Jesus never gave into temptation: His life as a human being was spotless.  When He taught God's ways to those who would listen, He never hid His purpose or disguised His meaning.  He was always forthright and completely transparent.

Despite His flawlessness, Jesus was treated like a criminal.  Those who God used to place Jesus on the cross believed Jesus was hiding something, that He was blaspheming the holy name of God and that He was teaching fallacy.   Jesus, however, did not behave as someone who had something to hide.  Instead, He boldly spoke the truth in public, for everyone to hear and make up their own mind.

The Truth is handled differently, depending upon whether I am living in the shadows or walking in the Light.

Delivery

When my daughter visited New York City some years ago as a part of a modelling convention, she was approached by a man who was attempting to sell watches from the inside lining of his trench coat!  Knowing that anything legitimate would not be done in such a clandestine way, she continued walking without giving the salesman an opportunity to make a sale.

Red flags should go up in my consciousness if ever I hear a message delivered as a secret or if I'm told not to tell where I heard the information.  Falsehood tends to be conveyed under cover of darkness.

In contrast, the truth tends to be spoken freely, out in the open without shame or guilt.  First century African Christian author Tertullian said, "Truth does not blush."  I can gauge whether my thoughts and spoken words are truth by whether I'd rather keep them secret, or if I'm comfortable with it being known.  Even an ugly truth is better than a flattering falsehood.  As Proverbs 26:28 says, "A lying tongue hates those it hurts, and a flattering mouth works ruin."

Jesus delivers the Truth in the open.  His Gospel is not secret nor does it contain a hidden agenda.  Instead, it is clear, straightforward and concise: I am a sinner who does not meet God's standard of perfection.  My sin earns eternal death.  God demands justice.  His love sent Jesus to take my punishment, dying in my place and fulfilling God's just nature.  I receive the free gift of salvation offered by grace through faith in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.  I am saved from eternal damnation and given life eternal and a relationship with God.

If I ever hear anything added to the simple truth that there is no other name other than Jesus which can save me, then I can label it as false teaching. (Acts 4:12)

Despite being treated like a criminal, Jesus never hid His purpose or message.

Reaction

One of the ways a detective can tell if a defendant is lying is by the way they react to the truth.  The more violent the reaction, the more likely they are living in a lie.

In the same way, I am faced with the Truth in the form of Jesus Christ.  The more violent my reaction to Him and His teachings, the greater the chasm that exists between me and the truth.

 If I'm walking according to my flesh, living in a way that pleases me, I will be offended when Jesus reminds me to give secretly so that no one knows what I'm doing.  (Matthew 6:1-4)  I'll be upset that I can't get some kind of recognition, even if it's only a nod of approval from the usher.

But if I'm walking with Jesus, living according to His Spirit, it will seem the most natural thing in the world for me to pay my tithe or donate an offering anonymously.

Other times, I'll be convicted by the Spirit of Truth to stop judging others, instead offering compassion and grace.  If I'm close to Jesus during that time, I'll gladly accept this teaching.  But if I'm drifting away from Him, I'll choose to ignore this particular lesson and only adhere to those that feel comfortable to me.  

The way I react to Jesus depends on whether or not my heart if aligned with God.

Charges

I remember recording a false number on a sales receipt for a van we purchased from a private party in order to pay less taxes.  As my husband and I drove to the Licensing Office, we both were convicted with the same scripture, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's." (Mark 12:17)  When we arrived at the government agency, we were told we had to get an appraisal from a car dealership.  The dealer valued the vehicle at the same price we paid, putting us back on track.  When we brought the paperwork to the Licensing Office, we ended up paying a lower tax rate than what we anticipated, making our bill as much as it would have been if we'd cheated.  We learned to demonstrate our faith in God by doing business honestly and to leave the outcome up to God.

In a similar way, the truth needs no defense.  If I think it necessary to bend the truth, cheat, or lie to bring charges against someone, maybe I'm the one in the wrong.  God is a God of justice and He will not let corruption go unchecked.  It's better for me to let Him handle corruption, instead of falling into it myself in the name of justice.

The world is filled with people who had good intentions, but utilized underhanded means to achieve the desired results.  My own deceit is not justified by my offender's transgressions, no matter how evil.

Corruption reveals falsehood, no matter which end the underhanded deeds occur.  If someone is truly wrong, I can trust God to shed light on the matter, (1 Corinthians 4:5)  bringing those transgressions into the light. 

I am called to lovingly restore those who fall into sin, but I am warned to be careful, lest I am tempted in some way myself.  (Galatians 6:1-5)  It is very easy for me to think I'm capable of helping someone out of the shadows, but I must do so with the full vision of my own identity as a sinner saved by grace.   Only Jesus can change a heart that is hardened to sin.  

Trusting Jesus means staying in the light and letting Him deal with what is done in the darkness.


Jesus did not hide His teachings, showing us how the Truth is handled.  It is delivered without shame or guilt, is readily received by those whose heart is aligned with Jesus, and needs no defense.  I can rely on the Truth as a good indicator of my proximity to Jesus.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can use the Truth in a way that keeps me close to Jesus.

When am I easily offended by the things that Jesus says?

How can I better accept His teachings?

No comments:

Post a Comment