The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Plain Love

"'Though I have been speaking figuratively,
a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father.
In that day you will ask in my name.
I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf.
No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved
me and have believed that I came from God.
I came from the Father and entered the world;
now I am leaving the world
and going back to the Father.'
Then Jesus' disciples said,
'Now you are speaking clearly
and without figures of speech.'"
John 16:25-29



Every day she told him she loved him.  Not a day went by when she didn't express her love to her husband.  She thought of creative ways, big and small, in which she could show her devotion to the love of her life.  As his wife, she thought it her duty to help him become a better person.  She took it upon herself to gently point out where he could improve and what he could change to grow as a husband.  In her mind, their marriage was a good one; strong and loving.

Her husband, however, saw things differently.  He never felt accepted by his wife.  She always said she loved him, but she didn't respect his point of view or his beliefs.  It seemed she thought she was right and he was wrong, she was good enough and he was only tolerable.  Somehow, he just couldn't win with his wife.

Acceptance is a big part of love.  God, as the essence of love Himself, knows how to love unconditionally.  (1 John 4:8)  He loves me just the way I am, not waiting until I become who I should be before He'll take the risk of loving me.  No, His love is based on His character, not on my worthiness.  (Romans 5:8)

In the same way that the sacrifice Jesus made in dying on the cross for my sins demonstrates God's love for me, the sinner, I can show my love for God by accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  Placing my life in the hands of Jesus proves my love for God.  Only a sincere love would enable such faith.

I can only hope to love because God first loved me, and His love gives me the ability to love Him back.  (1 John 4:19)

Access to God

I remember when President Bush paid a visit to Ft Lewis when my husband was stationed there as a soldier in the U.S. Army.  I was given the opportunity to attend the event held in his honor where hundreds of soldiers and family members gathered inside a hangar eagerly anticipating his arrival.  After his speech, he exited the stage and made his way in front of the crowds.  Since I was in the second row, I was able to reach my hand out and receive a quick handshake.  Some people tried to say a few words, but the Secret Service agents pushed the president along swiftly.  

If I had wanted to receive a few moments to speak to the President, I would have had to go through specific and strict protocol, receiving permission from staff and undergoing a thorough background check.  Only after obtaining approval, would I get to talk to the most powerful man on earth.  Even then, it would be on certain terms and under a specific timetable.

Unlike world leaders, God is completely accessible to me as His child, at any time and any place.  I do not need special permission and clearance before I'm allowed into His presence.  As one who has accepted His Son as the One who was sent by God to deliver me from eternal damnation, I have full right of entry to the throne of grace. (Hebrews 4:16)

This means when I'm in trouble, I need not hide from Him but can accept the forgiveness and mercy He freely offers.  (Hebrews 10:19-23)  As one who can approach the holy God directly, I need not lose hope when all seems lost but can receive encouragement when I stand before Him.  If I need answers or assurance of my salvation, I can go frankly and honestly to Him and He will give me the truth.

When I love God through faith in Jesus Christ, I am granted direct access to God Himself.

Sonship

The door of our home is always open to anyone in our community who needs encouragement, love or the hope that Jesus offers.  For this reason, there are many who feel comfortable and at home in this house.  Sometimes, children will stop by our house for a hug and kind word even before they head home from school.  Because of the love of God, our house feels like home to a lot of people.

As much as others experience a sense of belonging when they walk across the threshold of this house, no one but family members can open up the refrigerator and grab a snack, or take the car keys and go for a ride.  There are some privileges that are meant only for family members.

In the same way, as a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ, I have been given the rights of a family member. (1 John 3:1)  I have the hope of being made into the very image of Christ Himself at the appointed time.  In the same way that I follow in an older sibling's footsteps, desiring to emulate them in all the ways that I admire, I am called to walk as Jesus walked.  Not, as sometimes I try to do, in my own strength and with my own understanding, but in the power of His Spirit who lives within me.  As I follow Him, He leads me down the narrow path that leads to life.  (Psalm 23:3Matthew 7:14)

As an adopted child of God, I also have the responsibility to live my life in a way that honors God.  (Romans 11:17)  I do not mean that I need to try to be perfect or that I should attempt greatness for His sake.  What I do mean is that every part of my life should be tainted by His love.  As I look at those around me, I am to view them through His lenses and allow His love to flow through me.  In this way, He gets the glory for my life.   

Even more importantly, no area of my heart is to be off limits to my Father, and no secrets should be kept from Him.  Instead, I am to live as an open book before Him, granting Him full access to all of me.  As I live in this way, when others observe my life they will praise their Father in heaven.  (Matthew 5:16)

When I love God through faith in Jesus Christ, I am granted all the rights and responsibilities of a child.

Understanding

There are some things people outside of my family don't understand about us.  They don't get the weird nicknames we have for each other, or our tradition of keeping Sunday as a family day of rest.  They also don't comprehend our inside jokes and have no appreciation of the things that make us laugh the hardest.  Some things are only for family to understand.

In the same way, children of God have received revelation regarding the things of God.  As we read His Word, His Spirit teaches, enlightens and ministers truth.  Only those who are getting to know God through faith in Jesus Christ can truly understand God's intent of scripture.  As I move through life, He shows me what I need to know at the time I need to know it.  

Conversely, if I did not have the benefit of the Holy Spirit to guide me, the Word of God would make little sense to me.  It would seem dry, out of date and irrelevant to my life.  Instead, it is the bread of life (Deuteronomy 8:3), the power of God (Romans 1:16) and never returns void but accomplishes what God intended. (Isaiah 55:11)  This comprehension and appreciation comes from God.

Jesus tried to explain this concept to the Jews who did not accept Him as Messiah.  He said that they did not understand what He was teaching because their father was the devil. (John 8:43-44)  We tend to listen to whom we follow.  If I am committed to God through faith in Jesus, then I'll recognize His voice and understand His teaching.  If, however, I am bent on living my life my own way, to please myself and maintain control over my own life, then my father is Satan who is the ruler of this world.  I can't live for me and live for Jesus, it just doesn't work that way.  (Matthew 12:30)

When I love God through faith in Jesus Christ, I am granted understanding of His Word through the power of the Holy Spirit.


If I claim to love God I will accept His Son as my Lord and Savior.  When I enter into this relationship of faith through grace, I am granted direct access to God, the rights and responsibilities of sonship  and the understanding of Holy Scripture.  In this way, His love will be made plain in my life, both to me and to those who observe me.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can take advantage of the free admittance I have to my heavenly Father's throne and keep close to Him.

When do I live as God's enemy instead of as His child?

What am I hiding from God that I'm afraid He'll be disappointed or angry about, even though He already knows all about it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment