The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

I will praise God’s name in song
   and glorify him with thanksgiving.
Psalm 69:30




Giving Thanks  The turkey is roasting, the side dishes are awaiting their turn in the oven, the pies are resting, lined up in a row on the counter, the table is set and the guest are arriving.  This will be the scene in most American homes today as we celebrate a day in which we give thanks for the abundance of our lives.  But most of the time, my focus is on the feast and spending time with those gathered around the table.  Today, I want to give thanks for my God, who is merciful and gracious enough to give me another day.

His Love  Paul's prayer for the believers at Ephesus was that they, ". . . being rooted and established in love,  may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,  and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3:18-19)  The love my Lord and Savior has for me is beyond my comprehension.  Today, I give thanks to my God who loves me this much! 

His Sovereignty  I love the imagery of Isaiah 43, with the thought that God will be with us when we pass through the waters, and the rivers will not sweep over us.  What a comfort to know the One who controls the universe is keeping us in such a way!  This passage ends with a statement of his absolute sovereignty.  " 'You are my witnesses,' declares the LORD, 'that I am God. Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand.   When I act, who can reverse it?' " (Isaiah 43:12b-13)  Today, I give thanks to my God who is in complete control.

The Cross My life would not be the same without my relationship with my Creator through faith in Jesus Christ.  There is no greater love that can be shown than how Jesus chose to die a horrible death on a Roman cross in order that I can be made righteous in the eyes of a Holy God.  Astounding!  I cannot fathom this kind of love, nor can I properly thank Him for this gift of salvation.  Songwriters Ian Eskelen and Chris Megert describe Christ's work on the cross in these lyrics of "Battle," performed by Chris August. 

There’s a battle between good and evil
And it’s raging inside of me
There’s a struggle - it’s God and the devil
It’s Love against the Enemy


Life’s a fight of wrong and right
That’s tearing me apart
Oh but what the cross has done
Yeah the world will try to battle for my heart
But the war is already won
Today, I give thanks to my God who has already won the battle between good and evil.  Thank you to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

As I begin this day of cooking, eating and celebrating, I pray that my heart will be inclined toward a loving, sovereign, redemptive God.

No comments:

Post a Comment